The Tire Rack Inc. To Open Warehouse ...

The Tire Rack Inc. To Open Warehouse Distribution Center In Win...

There are 41 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 9, 2009, titled The Tire Rack Inc. To Open Warehouse Distribution Center In Win.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A company that sells tires, wheels and other car accessories to consumers online or by telephone is establishing a Northeast distribution center in Windsor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sunnyd

United States

#1 Mar 10, 2009
This is so disappointing. I can't see how this company is going to succeed with the economy the way it is. The Courant just ran an article a few weeks ago about car fanciers spending less on their hobby. Can't wait till we have our first tire fire. Hope everybody has their gas masks ready.
sunnyd

United States

#2 Mar 10, 2009
I don't know where you're getting your "tire fire" idea from, but The Tire Rack is no fly by night company. I can tell you from personal experience that TTR's customer service ranks up there with L.L. Bean (the Freeport main store, I've never been to any of the satellite stores). Pretty much every car I've owned in the last 10 years has had tires (or other parts) on them purchased from TTR. Car fanciers may spend less on their cars, but most people are keeping their cars longer, which means they'll need tires. Most independent repair shops that sell tires actually buy their tires from TTR. Having a distribution center in Connecticut will make things much easier here in New England.

Long story short, this is GREAT news!
Tad

United States

#3 Mar 10, 2009
Sorry sunnyd, I don't know how that happened. Comment #2 is from me.
RIP Connecticut

Hartford, CT

#4 Mar 10, 2009
$12 million in building costs shows that this company will add very little to the tax base, much like the other big boxes like Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. Big cavernous warehouses with little equipment and low taxes paid. Forget about the fire issue, its just a net loser. CT needs real industry, real manufacturing, or RIP CT.
hey now

New Britain, CT

#5 Mar 10, 2009
Nice ! This will only help the consumer out with competitive pricing on tires.
I have had enough of getting 4 different prices from 4 different places for the same tire.
Paul in Hamden

Hamden, CT

#6 Mar 10, 2009
Say good bye to Town Fair Tire - they will not be able to compete! Replace a local business with the equivalent of another big box store.
Bill Generous

Topsham, ME

#7 Mar 10, 2009
In addition to creating some badly needed jobs in CT, this helps control property tax increases of existing taxpayers. Unfortunately, there is not much taxable real estate growth expected for next year in Windsor.
rip off

Newington, CT

#8 Mar 10, 2009
Paul in Hamden wrote:
Say good bye to Town Fair Tire - they will not be able to compete! Replace a local business with the equivalent of another big box store.
town fair tire is a rip off. they will steer you to the most expensive and substitute an overprice generic to the unsuspecting. bye bye TFT
Mark

Newington, CT

#9 Mar 10, 2009
Paul in Hamden wrote:
You are comparing apples with oranges. Tire Rack ONLY SELLS tire. They do not put them on your car and you have to pay shipping, so when you pick up your tires and bring them to someone to mount and balance them along with checking the alignment, you usually make out better going to an independent tire shop. I have been down this path a few times and after figuring all costs, I always do better with the independent guy. I don't like Town Fair Tire, just my opinion.
Sloan Gotti

Waterbury, CT

#10 Mar 10, 2009
I bought Perelli snow tires one afternoon last Dec from Tire Rack online. The price was so good that even after adding my mechanic's charge for mounting they were still well under Town Fair's best price. Amazingly the tires were leaning against my door the very next morning. I think they're like the Amazon of the tire business.
Tad

Louisville, KY

#11 Mar 10, 2009
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comparing apples with oranges. Tire Rack ONLY SELLS tire. They do not put them on your car and you have to pay shipping, so when you pick up your tires and bring them to someone to mount and balance them along with checking the alignment, you usually make out better going to an independent tire shop. I have been down this path a few times and after figuring all costs, I always do better with the independent guy. I don't like Town Fair Tire, just my opinion.
Mark,
The big secret is most of your independent garages get their tires through The Tire Rack. Or at least the better shops do.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#12 Mar 10, 2009
Paul in Hamden wrote:
It's a warehouse. You can already get tires and whatever through them on line.
loui

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#13 Mar 10, 2009
sunnyd wrote:
I don't know where you're getting your "tire fire" idea from, but The Tire Rack is no fly by night company. I can tell you from personal experience that TTR's customer service ranks up there with L.L. Bean (the Freeport main store, I've never been to any of the satellite stores). Pretty much every car I've owned in the last 10 years has had tires (or other parts) on them purchased from TTR. Car fanciers may spend less on their cars, but most people are keeping their cars longer, which means they'll need tires. Most independent repair shops that sell tires actually buy their tires from TTR. Having a distribution center in Connecticut will make things much easier here in New England.
Long story short, this is GREAT news!
i agree great place bought many wheel and tire packages. there.
Mark

Newington, CT

#14 Mar 10, 2009
Tad wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark,
The big secret is most of your independent garages get their tires through The Tire Rack. Or at least the better shops do.
Yes, but what I am saying is if YOU order them to be delivered to you or drop shipped to one of thier associated tire shops, the shipping is much higher than what the tire shop pays (quantity discounts)I also know that the dealer I go to charges less for monting, balancing and alignment check than if I was to carry them in. Bottom line, what they are reporting here is a new tire wharehouse, they are not competitors for Town Fair Tire or Firestone, Sears, etc.
cameo35

Bloomfield, CT

#15 Mar 10, 2009
..........Wow! real jobs...More high school stockboys and cashiers and floor moppers..........
driverdan

Vernon Rockville, CT

#16 Mar 10, 2009
RIP Connecticut wrote:
$12 million in building costs shows that this company will add very little to the tax base, much like the other big boxes like Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowe's, etc. Big cavernous warehouses with little equipment and low taxes paid. Forget about the fire issue, its just a net loser. CT needs real industry, real manufacturing, or RIP CT.
it's just too bad that there is already closed, unused manufacturing space, machines, laid-off highly-skilled & trained workers that will have to switch jobs cause electricity, taxes, insurance, other utilities and business costs are simply too high here in ct. not to mention cold climate extra costs. so we will be seeing nothing but bbox stores and the occasional warehouse. maybe they can raze the malls for housing since we will only have 3-4 bbox stores to choose from for shopping. rip looks to be all too possible.
sunnyd

Dallas, TX

#17 Mar 10, 2009
I think it is a total waste of a beautiful piece of woodland. Now we have to look at a huge metal box, offering no potential other than a few low paying jobs, and a mess of tires. Will the town monitor this site for violations?? This is truly bad news. By the way, take a look at the customer reviews online, yes the prices are cheap, but problems with quality.
Tad

United States

#18 Mar 10, 2009
sunnyd wrote:
I think it is a total waste of a beautiful piece of woodland. Now we have to look at a huge metal box, offering no potential other than a few low paying jobs, and a mess of tires. Will the town monitor this site for violations?? This is truly bad news. By the way, take a look at the customer reviews online, yes the prices are cheap, but problems with quality.
What customer reviews? Where? Please provide links. I've never heard anyone complain about service from The Tire Rack. Are you sure you're not confusing negative tire reviews with negative customer service reviews? They are two completely different things.
sunnyd

Dallas, TX

#19 Mar 11, 2009
Tad wrote:
<quoted text>
What customer reviews? Where? Please provide links. I've never heard anyone complain about service from The Tire Rack. Are you sure you're not confusing negative tire reviews with negative customer service reviews? They are two completely different things.
user reviews from yahoo
me again

United States

#20 Mar 12, 2009
they are a warehouse, not a store. the consumer savings will be realized when we don't have to pay for s&h (anywhere from $40-$90). true most places will give you free bal/rotation when you buy the tires from them, but how many rotations do you actually do during the life of your tires. maybe a $5 discount on mounting too.

but the way i see it, it's another DC center ala Walgreens on a smaller scale.

nevermind gas masks, how about the beep beep beep of the trucks in that area?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windsor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min flack 1,497,167
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr Rshermr 63,301
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 10 hr TRD 71,385
News A sample menu for Georgia prison inmates on Fri... (Jun '09) 10 hr Faith Michigan 41
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr Faith Michigan 313,382
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr democrat 20,852
News Consumer Reports: Toyota ranked most reliable (Nov '08) 15 hr Raj Chanani 1,274

Windsor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windsor Mortgages