Fort Collins Police Department to enc...

Fort Collins Police Department to encypt next week

Posted in the Windsor Forum

SafetyInMind

Fort Collins, CO

#1 Mar 28, 2013
With this action being taken by the Chief of Police, many things comes to mind.

The encrypting is a way to stop the public from listening to the department's communications. But the encrypting will not stop the criminals on the street of Fort Collins or any other place around the world. Even with encrypting there will always be the issue of "Police Officer Safety".

I am on the side for Police Officer Saftey, but the encrypting is not the answer to the entire safety issue.

The Chief of Police should have given examples of where Police Officer Safety was linked to the public listening to the department's communications.
tomorrowistoday

Fort Collins, CO

#2 Mar 30, 2013
Goes to show how well the police trust the honest taxpayers and honest citizens of a city.

Makes one wonder about making a donation for the next FOP "Fraternal Order of Police" fund drive.
GoingFishing

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Mar 31, 2013
Hiding is more like the major reason to encrypt.
Public safety is the concern when governments hide behind a wall. Reminds me of the stories of living in Eastern Europe under Stalin.

Since: Jan 11

#4 Apr 2, 2013
I've always wondered why the police continue to use unencrypted communication. No doubt the technology to do this just wasn't feasible 20 or so years ago, but once it became possible, what possible reason would they have for allowing the public to listen in? No doubt the folks with no lives (who make up a surprisingly large percentage of the population) love having something to do when they aren't eavesdropping on their neighbors, but it serves no practical purpose.

Don't get me wrong... I think we have far too many police in Fort Collins and that a sizable number of them have absolutely no business being in law enforcement. But this was never an effective way of monitoring their behavior.
UpDatedOutDated

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Jul 24, 2013
In a few more years the uses of the Motorola P25 systems will be complaining again.

They buy today and tomorrow its outdated!

What is next?

Switching to a newer type of radio sytem. Like the TETRA, the standard in many European countries as well as other places in the world.

More tax-dollars down the drain.
ColderInMN

Fort Collins, CO

#6 Jul 30, 2013
When an agency uses encryption on a dispatch channel they usually have something to hide.

SWAT and undercover operations should be encrypted.

In some areas they even use encryption on animal control and trash truck operations.

Most agency heads using encryption have a poor understanding at their own reasons for using encryption. They point to the wrong reasons many times.
I25Drifter

Fort Collins, CO

#8 Aug 17, 2013
Encryption will never stop crime. I highly doubt that it will even decrease the crime on a small scale either even with encryption in place. If a Police Chief said it would help decrease crime..I say BS!
Since the encryption has taken place in Fort Collins. The radio use is still not at a high percentage rate.
So what was the use of encrypting Dispatch?
passingby

Fort Collins, CO

#9 Aug 19, 2013
In many area neighborhood watch programs and other crime prevention programs have members listening to police scanners. Those members have helped locate criminals and helped prevent and solve crimes.

But in many areas the law enforcement agencies depends on public input.

There are many areas that has decided that public listening is a crime, even when not in the commission of a crime.

Open dispatch channels should be used.
WonderIf

Fort Collins, CO

#10 Sep 19, 2013
In one county in Colorado the Road Department is encrypted, while the law dispatch is unecrypted.

Goes to how who is actually scared of being heard.

Maybe the Road Department is afraid the public might think if they talk about Pot Holes needing patched that the listener might think the Pot is in the hole being smoked.
GoingFishing

Fort Collins, CO

#11 Sep 27, 2013
Going encrypted seems to be the way to hide from the public.

The biggest excuse for being encrypted in safety.

They should show where safety was the actual reason for the being encrypted. But they still have failed to show proof of when and where safety was a reason. They can say safety is the reason but cannot show when and where.

Goes to show who is hiding from who.....
John

Loveland, CO

#12 Oct 4, 2013
tomorrowistoday wrote:
Goes to show how well the police trust the honest taxpayers and honest citizens of a city.
Makes one wonder about making a donation for the next FOP "Fraternal Order of Police" fund drive.
All the FOP does is protect dirty cops. The cops here in Loveland are Nazis, they harass everyone, and they also use digital encryption. For those of you who aren't aware, the FOP is nothing more than a corrupt union that serves corrupt law enforcement officers. Good cops who do what they are supposed to dont need "union protection".
tomorrowistoday

Fort Collins, CO

#13 Oct 6, 2013
The FOP is mostly all about big $$$ that they can get through the telemarketing. Being here in Colorado, sometimes when they call wanting a donation the call is from outside Colorado under another area code. I wonder how much the FOP has to hand-over to the telemarketing firm. They are not doing it for free.

The police always are concerned about interoperability when it comes to radio communications where there is a need to communicate with other agencies in time of need.

Digital radios and encrypted radio frequencies goes against the being able to communitate with many agencies not using the Big $$$ radio systems.

Reminds me of neighbors having cars....one gets a new Caddy and the other gets a new Buick...both have the thoughts that their car is better than the others.

Our governments both city, county, state and federal waste more money on things that have nothing to do with Police or Public Safety even when they say it is.
Hearthistoo

Fort Collins, CO

#14 Nov 27, 2013
Excellent comments here concerning the topic.

Maybe the criminals have gone encrypted also. Crime is still an issue here in Fort Collins.
We hate Fort Collins Co

Cheyenne, WY

#15 Dec 31, 2013
The cops don't give a sh!t, They are crooked as hell down there.
tomorrowistoday

United States

#16 Apr 7, 2015
passingby wrote:
In many area neighborhood watch programs and other crime prevention programs have members listening to police scanners. Those members have helped locate criminals and helped prevent and solve crimes.
But in many areas the law enforcement agencies depends on public input.
There are many areas that has decided that public listening is a crime, even when not in the commission of a crime.
Open dispatch channels should be used.
I agree with you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windsor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Career builder is a Fraud and a Scam (Apr '11) 12 hr LMNOP 35
Black eradication Aug 27 Oswaldo Mobray 1
News Pig OK after flying out of trailer going 65 mph... Aug 22 Sublime1 10
Small people, midgets? Aug 20 Csuguy 1
Alexander Cane Zander Perez memorial celebratio... Aug 19 Rest In Peace 1
Destruction of a medically disabled man in Fort... Aug 18 NBeener 1
Review: Energes Services Aug 17 stealth 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windsor Mortgages