"It did not look good when I got to m...

"It did not look good when I got to my mom. There was no cockpi...

There are 22 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Feb 18, 2009, titled "It did not look good when I got to my mom. There was no cockpi.... In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Fire and police officials inspect the remains of a crashed ultralight plane on Harvest Road in Windham, N.H. The propeller and windscreen can be seen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bankrollbilly

Acton, MA

#1 Feb 18, 2009
Well done great flying can u teach me
Realistic

Hartford, CT

#2 Feb 18, 2009
She's brave.. I know how to drive and I get worried. Imagine taking a chance on flying a small aircraft with no prior experience..She's nuts.. but thankfully alive..
lhs mom

Quincy, MA

#3 Feb 18, 2009
A 46 year old mother of five was out flying by herself with no experience.
What was she thinking????
quasi nation

Lowell, MA

#5 Feb 18, 2009
lhs mom wrote:
A 46 year old mother of five was out flying by herself with no experience.
What was she thinking????
Exactly! Why? Why would you just decide to say to yourself 'I think I will fly a plane today'...when you have no experience and absolutely NO CLUE. That would be like 'I think I'm going to go deep sea fishing today to catch me a whale' and I think I'll do this by myself...what a nut!
Citizen

Salem, NH

#6 Feb 18, 2009
No piloting experience? This person should be charged with something. I don't care if she could've killed herself - that's her problem for being a fool - but she could've easily killed somebody else.
gotrin

Pelham, NH

#7 Feb 18, 2009
"According to official FAA regulations, no pilot license is required to operate an ultralight plane."

Also not required:
Common Sense
Concern for others Safety
Concern for Family members

I'm sure there are more....
Insurance

Pelham, NH

#8 Feb 18, 2009
Maybe her husband "talked" her into it. Did he recently take out a life insurance policy on her?

Since: Jun 08

Lowell, MA

#10 Feb 18, 2009
I can not imagine being her son standing there watching his mom and recording this nightmare!
She really needs to be on head drugs! OR off!
flyby

Hudson, NH

#11 Feb 18, 2009
i hope there is a thorough investigation. there should be at least some sort of reckless conduct charges for this jerk. what an idiot. have some consideration of the innocent people on the ground below you before you do something this stupid.
puzzled

Dracut, MA

#14 Feb 18, 2009
Where, particularly in this economy, does a mother of 5 and her family find time and money to build a hobby plane.
Why

Chelmsford, MA

#15 Feb 19, 2009
What would possess a mother and wife to do something like that???
Ed Bonsell

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Feb 19, 2009
Why in the world would you try to fly a plane with no training. This kind of stunt gives ultralights a bad name.
Ed B.
Pondering One68

Haverhill, MA

#17 Feb 19, 2009
The son videotaping this was a good piece of evidence for those who were investigating it..... Another point here too is that she didn't want it to be reported if I recall correctly.... Obviously the best way to describe this is to say she was flying "blind" as she didn't know what the heck she was doing.... If a mother of 5 feels it's a great idea to fly a plane w/o training what the heck is she teaching her kids about life... It's like sayin hey "I did this" so it's ok for you to speed and drive like a maniac...
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#18 Feb 19, 2009
What next, a DIY moonshot?
Floyd_Turbow

United States

#19 Feb 19, 2009
I wonder if they:
a. face foreclosure
b. have paid all their taxes
c. hosted an Obama tea at their home
d. all of the above
lhs mom

Quincy, MA

#20 Feb 19, 2009
Floyd_Turbow wrote:
I wonder if they:
a. face foreclosure
b. have paid all their taxes
c. hosted an Obama tea at their home
d. all of the above
I wonder if they:

a. have mental problems (flying around w/ no experience)
b. have married a cousin (it is NH after all)
c. have guns under the bed (see above)
d. still have the McCain sign on the lawn
Willie

Chelmsford, MA

#22 Feb 19, 2009
Insurance wrote:
Maybe her husband "talked" her into it. Did he recently take out a life insurance policy on her?
They cant drive a car so why would anyone think they could fly a plane....!!!! Get home and iron my shirts!!!
helloooo

Hudson, NH

#23 Feb 19, 2009
A friend of mine lives on Cobbetts Lake where the plane crashed. He told me the guy you see in the video lives on lake to. He just went to jail for multiple DWI's. The last one was in Windham when he was riding a moped. Guess who the passenger on the moped was when he was arrested? My friend said it was the same woman that crashed the plane.
chesterrez

Loudon, NH

#25 Feb 25, 2009
Insurance wrote:
She's been hurt before, I think the authorities need to look into this family for once...they live in a junk yard, the kids are unclean and have other issues as well...this woman was burned over most of her body because of another stupid incident, also involving her hubby!!
John T Hawley

Chelmsford, MA

#26 Feb 27, 2009
There are all kinds of comments about
the flying that this woman did.I think
she did a hell of a good job.Her and
her husband built an ultra light that
flew a lot longer and better than the
Wright Brothers.It was a good flight
she lived to tell about it.No one told
the Wright Brothers they were crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beatles For Sale coming to Hampstead Jun 17 New England Music... 1
Microsoft store offering Free YouthSpark Summer... Jun 6 mdunham 1
Microsoft store offering Free YouthSpark Summer... Jun 6 mdunham 1
News Derry man arrested for allegedly stabbing Hudso... (Feb '14) Jun 5 Hate DM and MS 4
News Salem officer is charged with assault (Jan '14) Jun 2 on a poor lil kitten 9
Windham, NH advice Apr '16 Gsauls 1
News NH agencies warn of summer paving scams (Aug '09) Mar '16 Strike it rich 94
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windham Mortgages