Lawsuit claims flaws in downtown cond...

Lawsuit claims flaws in downtown condo tower

There are 32 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 7, 2008, titled Lawsuit claims flaws in downtown condo tower. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

An Orange County man who put down more than $100,000 in deposits for two units at The Paramount on Lake Eola condo tower is suing the developer, claiming that the building now nearing completion in downtown ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rrlarry

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Jun 7, 2008
Sounds like another loser, the market collapses and someones going to lose money so there trying aything to get out of a contract. Well good luck maybe a close friend or relative could live in your second condo and you in the other.
Diane

Ocoee, FL

#2 Jun 7, 2008
Ha! My thoughts exactly - Freire got into something he can't afford & now wants out. Our system should say too bad! Instead another loser tying up the system and costing people unnecessary money by running nonsense through the legal system.
Andy

Winter Haven, FL

#3 Jun 7, 2008
It is incredible what a developer can do!
Hidding serious structural mistakes from the buyers is unacceptable! It seems like he could've put the safety of the owner's at risk.
indian

El Paso, TX

#5 Jun 7, 2008
me no wanna buy spec condos now me realize me no make lots easy money. me just want me money back. How, me change um mind, me only wants buy if makes lots of money, but now me change um mind, give me money back, building going to fall over, Chief Indian Giver

“"Trying to be civil!"”

Since: May 08

Central Florida

#6 Jun 7, 2008
Hmmmm.
More problems on the condo front.
And a lawsuit from a person who is actually one of those speculators who bought two units.
Hmmmm.
Anyone know how full this condo tower is?
buck

Tampa, FL

#7 Jun 7, 2008
Clearly someone that that has changed his mind due to the change in the market. If he thought his condo's were worth a couple hundred grand more than he is paying for them, you wouldn't be hearing anything from him.

As a commercial builder familiar with this project, the remedies to he structural issues have made this building many times safer than any building in the area. Structural engineer's overkill fixes for these types of concerns.
Haywood

Lakeland, FL

#8 Jun 7, 2008
My thoughts exactly. He just wants his money back on a bad investment. The building is fine!!!
buck wrote:
Clearly someone that that has changed his mind due to the change in the market. If he thought his condo's were worth a couple hundred grand more than he is paying for them, you wouldn't be hearing anything from him.
As a commercial builder familiar with this project, the remedies to he structural issues have made this building many times safer than any building in the area. Structural engineer's overkill fixes for these types of concerns.
Beth

Dallas, TX

#14 Jun 7, 2008
Just to play Devil's Advocate here...I wouldn't be surprised if the market downturn wasn't at least partially inspiring Freire...HOWEVER...

I've walked past this building many times since construction began, and the accusation about the construction defects is TRUE. That's the reason the construction was so delayed. They did not properly calculate weight loads and after the shell of the building was up, they had to go back in and add columns and other weight-bearing structures all throughout the bottom floor. It was really obvious in the area where the Publix is going.

Personally, I've never been interested in owning a downtown condo, but I can sympathize with Freire being hesistant to buy a unit in a building with such problems, much less live there.
terd hogan

Plano, TX

#15 Jun 7, 2008
play lets make a deal and whip out that check book!.......that building would fold easily in a hurricane....lol. want to talk about junk being built ....just look at 17-92 and kennedy blvd. elevated wood frame kondo! lol......
terd hogan

Plano, TX

#16 Jun 7, 2008
you can thank also mr.developer for hiring julio to do all the work...si, me casa es la miata....bueno...wait till it rains. does yaz windows leak? lol.. does the garage flood out lol....building the junk is no problem....what the problem is when the developer under funds the budget for the for the years funding....i love underfunding...that way when yaz move in and then the community then takes over where mr developer left off....guess what its now mr homeowners problem...i hope yaz got deep pockets for that rat infested condos yaz bought back in 04. lol....you couldnt sell yaz junk now even if you ebay the junk lol....

“"Trying to be civil!"”

Central Florida

#20 Jun 8, 2008
I inquired Downtown about this structure, and was told that it was NOT very full at all.
I am sure that has somethign to do with it,
As well as the construction of it.
People are bailing in anyway they can.

Thank you Downtown Development.
Thank you for taking what was once a very nice downtown, and instead of bringing businesses and culture to the area to get rid of all the "nighclubs", you bring high rise condos that are vacant because there is no reason for anyone to move downtown.

And when they get there if they do move downtown? Walking through at about 10:30 - 11pm the other night to get out of there? Yelling, drunk, loud fraternity boys congregating in the streets, half dressed girls who spend most of their money at the hooker shops stumbling around.

And that was early in the evening.
Not the best environment to live in.
Not the most cultural city the administration tries to paint itself as.

Downtown Orlando save a few stores, a few restaurants, and places like MadCow theatre, is one big drunken fraternity party.

Welcome home condo buyers.
Hillary

Orlando, FL

#21 Jun 8, 2008
I saw those terrible "temporary" steel columns and braces that stayed for months! An architect friend tokld me the cracks in the beams were so big that you could put your hand inside. I believe when they say serious but very seriouis structural problems. 20 millions to fix it is not cheap! I wonder where from the building has the money come, some less granite here and there, no nice lighting fixtures... How are the buyers sure that there is no other big oops that is not showing up yet?
I too, would not like to own or to live there, that is for sure!
grass roots

Lakeland, FL

#23 Jun 8, 2008
give me a break! This is being blow way out of proportion. Reinforcing with steel and iron to mitigate cracks that appear in concrete structures is very common practice.
As for how full the building is, not sure i follow the question, there are contracts for all but 5 of the 313 units. Sure speculators who got in over their head with back out, but this is an excellent location. And with the Publix on the ground floor this building is a great contribution to the neighborhood, I personally can't wait for it to open. this will continue to be a prime residential area in Orlando.
frank

Apopka, FL

#25 Jun 9, 2008
i agree with grass roots. the building may have had problems before but that is why we have building inspections and check this out....they spent 20 million to make it right. how can you complain about that? now if they did nothing and covered it with drywall there sure would be a reason to be crying foul but with the developer making things right i think he doesn't have a strong case unless the changes directly affected the units (like an additional interior column that wasn't supposed to be there) he is buying. as for the downtown lifestyle i was one of the original people in the waverly and it is what it is. you know what you're getting before you buy so nobody can complain.
CGC

Englewood, CO

#26 Jun 9, 2008
What a joke. I am sick of amateur investors crying for a bail-out when they get in over their heads. Sounds to me like she WILLINGLY signed not one, but TWO purchase agreements (notice I said PURCHASE agreements, and not "well-if-the-price-apprec iates-substantially-THEN-I'll- close Agreements"). Pathetic Alexis never intended to close, it says in black & white they were 'investments', which in the heat of the 2005 condo market meant 'easy flip'. Now, she faces the reality that she cannot afford it- she bit off more than she can chew, much like all of the people that have already suffered loses in residential real estate speculation.

I'm sure the building is structurally sound, amateurs will seek to exploit anything they can to assign blame, when in reality, you gambled, you lost, walk it off, and understand that DOWNSIDE potential on an investment is just as real as UPSIDE potential.

You really learn who has been swimming naked when the tide goes out. If you cannot acknowledge the reality of market cycles, maybe you should turn off HGTV and stop 'do-ing' real estate.
Fed Up

United States

#27 Jun 9, 2008
frank wrote:
as for the downtown lifestyle i was one of the original people in the waverly and it is what it is. you know what you're getting before you buy so nobody can complain.
I heartily Disagree Frank.
I know specifically of two people new to downtown, purchased a VERY EXPENSIVE penthouse type residence, only to be disgusted by the difference between what they were led to believe, and what the nighttime is really like.
Drunks, ignorant fraternity boys, wanna be gang members, and sluts fill the streets going from bar to bar.
Go out your door and take a look sometime, if you can make your way through the idiocy that passes as a nightlife.
iLoveOrlando

Orlando, FL

#30 Jun 11, 2008
Wait, are you saying downtown Orlando isn't classy? Well let's see, we have restaurants, nightclubs, and a park. Then you look at a city like Portland and all they have is countless shops, delis, produce markets, Trader Joes, light rail, multiple sports venues, performing arts center, and a large walkable downtown. Wait, what was my point?
Money Money

Palm Bay, FL

#31 Jun 11, 2008
The entire backbone of the Downtown Orlando economy are bars and clubs catering to the college age demographic.
It is one big drunken party down there - why on earth would anyone want to live near that?
The area of this condo - crowded, packed, not the most attractive.
Why, with nothing to bring them down there, and much to keep them away, would anyone want to live downtown?
UF ALUM

Kissimmee, FL

#32 Jun 11, 2008
If the building hasn't already tumbled, it isn't going to. Sounds like the developers went with a cheap engineering firm who under designed it. I'd love to be the lawyer ahndling that case...

I do agree with everyone else, too. This guy from Windermere just wants out of a bad investment and is using this as his leverage.

There is nothing in the 6x6 block area everyone always refers to as downtown for anyone who does not like to drink. It caters to the 20-something party crowd...

“"Trying to be civil!"”

Central Florida

#33 Jun 11, 2008
UF ALUM wrote:
If the building hasn't already tumbled, it isn't going to. Sounds like the developers went with a cheap engineering firm who under designed it. I'd love to be the lawyer ahndling that case...
I do agree with everyone else, too. This guy from Windermere just wants out of a bad investment and is using this as his leverage.
There is nothing in the 6x6 block area everyone always refers to as downtown for anyone who does not like to drink. It caters to the 20-something party crowd...
We may have disagreed on another blog line, but we certainly agree wholeheartedly here.
Downtown is one big bar. It could be much more, but it has never been, and never will be.
I have lived here for about 20 years, and the only change in Downtown Orlando is the bars are better looking, the skirts are shorter, and the demographic is even less responsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windermere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Winter Garden racism (Mar '08) May 18 Janssenb 14
Gov. Scott Stop Illegal Gang Stalking and Crook... May 10 Gang stalked in LC 3
tammy witz (Feb '13) May 1 This is OG tammy 4
Wake up our Food and Water is being poisoned!!! Apr '17 Mabel Allen 2
News Ocoee man accused of stabbing roommate during m... Mar '17 Lalonniemonzingo 1
Govenor Scott please investigate these people. Mar '17 Justice in America 1
Stop Illegal Gang Stalking by governemnt officials Mar '17 Justice 1

Windermere Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windermere Mortgages