Teen killed in crash near Windermere

Teen killed in crash near Windermere

There are 315 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Teen killed in crash near Windermere. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Troopers responded to a grisly crash scene in Orange County early this morning where a 16-year-old boy was killed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Michael

Orlando, FL

#3 Jul 25, 2008
What in the world is a 16 year old driving a Lexus, and we're were his parents at . His is not to be driving alone to begin with. Hope his parents are charged
Shar

San Antonio, TX

#4 Jul 25, 2008
2007 Lexus, 16, 4:00 A.M. In the morning. What a shame.
Proof Reader

Frisco, TX

#6 Jul 25, 2008
My son turns 16 in a few months and is under some strange illusion he will be getting a 350Z as his first car. No way jose. I thoughts kids couldnt drive alone after 11pm at 16?
Mikey

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Jul 25, 2008
Crash happens "Near" Windermere. Huh? Why not say Crash happens in West Orange County or Orlando? Does the sentinel get more ad revenue by telling their advertisers that we'll attract people with higher income to look at the story this way?
Same way with how they like to make story titles like, "Former Disney Cast Member arrested on felony", when it's really some guy who worked at Disney when he was a teenager got arrested for driving with a suspended license.
disgusted

Roswell, GA

#9 Jul 25, 2008
Sometimes people have to drive at random times througout the day/night. We don't know what he was doing so let's not jump to conclusions and throw stones. As for the 2007 Lexus he was driving, maybe his parents were rich and could afford to give him a nice car. Maybe it was a gift for being a wonderful son. Or maybe he was borrowing his parent's car. We were not given enough information for people to write what they have been.
Albert

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jul 25, 2008
A 16-year old out at 4 am with the parents' 2007 Lexus -- could it have ended any other way?
David

Oviedo, FL

#11 Jul 25, 2008
This is not a case of bad parenting. It is not any darker at 4am than at 11pm. This is a case of a kid doing what kids do. I drove 100mph when i was a kid. It was stupid, but i was a kid. He was just unlucky. Parents cant watch their kids all the time.
Tom

Denver, CO

#12 Jul 25, 2008
Parents can buy the safest cars, but in the end skill and judgement will be the biggest determining factors in whether they return home safe again.

Investing in your child's safety does not stop at the car your buy them, but the time you spend teaching them.
Speedhater

San Antonio, TX

#17 Jul 25, 2008
So sad. Another irresponsible parent looses a child....
Jeff

Cincinnati, OH

#18 Jul 25, 2008
"This is not a case of bad parenting. It is not any darker at 4am than at 11pm."

The fact that it is dark has nothing to do with the comments about the time. What do you think two 16 year olds normally do at 4am? Sleep or party is most likley. This is a tragic situation. Parents need to understand what goes on and not just let kids do what they want too.
Grandma Fudd

Oviedo, FL

#22 Jul 25, 2008
16 year olds raised by human parents and not wolves are in their beds by 11 pm. The parents should be arrested and charged with child neglect.
Ron

United States

#25 Jul 25, 2008
Could have been worse, he could have hit another car and killed the oocupants who were going to their minimum wage job.
logan kanan

United States

#26 Jul 25, 2008
you people make me sick ricks parents are wonderfull people rick was an amazing kid and you have no right to judge their parenting. if mr or mrs iudice read this know your son was loved by everyone.
Ron

United States

#27 Jul 25, 2008
logan kanan wrote:
you people make me sick ricks parents are wonderfull people rick was an amazing kid and you have no right to judge their parenting. if mr or mrs iudice read this know your son was loved by everyone.
wonderful, maybe, but irresponsible. Doesn't he know about speed limits? he could have killed innocent people.
otownnole

Orlando, FL

#29 Jul 25, 2008
Michael wrote:
What in the world is a 16 year old driving a Lexus, and we're were his parents at . His is not to be driving alone to begin with. Hope his parents are charged
Charged with what?
otownnole

Orlando, FL

#31 Jul 25, 2008
logan kanan wrote:
You are right. There is no one posting here that hasn't had a close call on the road at one time or another and there certainly isn't anyone here that hasn't done something stupid before that could have gotten us killed.
asdfghj

Winter Garden, FL

#35 Jul 25, 2008
None of you know what the circumstances were regarding this accident, and you dont know the parents or Rick, so dont be so quick to judge. The Dr. Phillips/Windermere area is affluent and people work very hard for their money and choose to spend it anyway they want. Rick was a good friend, a good brother, and a good son. Unless you know him, you're opinion doesnt count for much. I know this has affected all of us around you, and we have learned a lesson.

Rick, you will be missed. Rest in peace<3
IMHO

Grand Prairie, TX

#39 Jul 25, 2008
Nothing in the article states that the car was his, or given to him by his parents. Or that he had permission to drive the car. He may have left the house without his parents knowing and taken the car. Regardless, it is a tragic loss for their family. Have a heart people.
sarah

Frisco, TX

#41 Jul 25, 2008
i am a friend of rick and he was an amazing person
and for those of who are judging his parents need to accept the fact that it was his mistake not theirs. they had no control over what happend and shouldnt be blamed. rick will be missed greatly <3
Neighbor

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#42 Jul 25, 2008
I live on the road where the accident occurred, and it has a 25 mph speed limit. I drive through the curve where the accident happened several times every day, and it is a tight turn at 25 or 30 mph. Everyday, I am tailed by people who use our neighborhood as a "cut-through" between Dr. Phillips Blvd. and Turkey Lake Rd. Many of the people who cut through our neighborhood do not know the roads well, and I personally know that they ALL speed down Lake Marsha Dr. I do not know if this group needed to be driving down Lake Marsha or if they were just cutting through, but if they were cutting through, I am not surprised that that turn caught them off guard. I am glad that it was that turn, because if it had been the next turn on the road, their car would have gone straight through a family's home. The bottom line is...Speed Kills, especially on unfamiliar roads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windermere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Windermere family, 3 others face racketeering c... (Dec '08) Aug 4 Truth 57
Review: Windermere Mobile Pet Grooming (Feb '16) Jul 29 Long time customer 7
John Beaver is a Drunk Legend Jul '16 Sharin Peter 1
Does Anyone know Robbie Haught from Ocoee Jun '16 Anonymous 3
News Family's excruciating Orlando journey ends in f... Jun '16 atheist 1
News Ex-burger joint may become Gainesville's 1st po... May '16 Jane Ann 1
collective soul (Sep '15) Sep '15 USsueMC 1

Windermere Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windermere Mortgages