Ancient Oak Tree falls

Ancient Oak Tree falls

There are 17 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 8, 2009, titled Ancient Oak Tree falls. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Around this town, if anyone referred to "the tree," it was understood to mean the majestic live oak growing near the shores of Wauseon Bay in the Butler Chain of Lakes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Agent Smith

Deland, FL

#1 Jun 8, 2009
It's just a tree. Silly tree huggers.
wintgardguy

Apopka, FL

#2 Jun 8, 2009
Hey Mrs. Bergman and Pastor Neal!: Nothing lives forever on this earth! Haven't you learned that yet?
didnt try to save it

Homestead, FL

#3 Jun 8, 2009
a lot of trees can be saved by trimming them
back and standing them up and bracing them.
i have seen it done many times.something should have been tried. never give up, never
surrender.
MommyNeedsProzai c

Aripeka, FL

#4 Jun 8, 2009
Its a FREKIN TREE! Offering condolences?? Now thats a tree-hugging preacher!
realist

Longwood, FL

#5 Jun 8, 2009
The city of Windermere will shut down for 2 hours this Friday for a tree memorial service with an expected 15,000 guests.
joyce a

United States

#6 Jun 8, 2009
some people see a tree... some people see God's work. If you see a tree, that's fine. Just move to another article.

Personally, I'm a tree-hugger.

Since: Nov 08

Apopka, FL

#7 Jun 8, 2009
realist wrote:
The city of Windermere will shut down for 2 hours this Friday for a tree memorial service with an expected 15,000 guests.
And snacks will be served with plenty of toothpicks!!
just a tree you say

Little Valley, NY

#8 Jun 8, 2009
look what this little oak was aspiring to be....

http://www.sciway.net/photos/coast-sc/angel-o...

just a silly tree you say... LOL everyone has thier little piece of heaven here on earth...

Johns Island, South Carolina – Angel Oak Tree
The Angel Oak on Johns Island is one of the oldest and largest live oaks in the country. It is believed to be more than 1,400 years old. The tree, which is a live oak, Quercus virginiana, a species prevalent in the sea islands of South Carolina, is 65 feet high and has a circumference of 25 feet. While its height may not be impressive, the shaded area covered by its foliage extends over 17,000 square feet, making it a delightful place to catch some shade in the summer months.
a life

Homestead, FL

#9 Jun 8, 2009
i see trees and plants as lives. respect all life
and you will be rewarded. save every life you can.
its a struggle for all lives.
FTW

Deland, FL

#10 Jun 8, 2009
As someone already said, they should have done more if the loved it so much.

I was in Taiwan last year and there were trees older/larger than this still standing because they supported the large, heavy main branches.
11b10aaa

Moab, UT

#11 Jun 8, 2009
I'd rather hear it went this way rather than to the chainsaws of a developer.
What

Miamisburg, OH

#12 Jun 8, 2009
FTW wrote:
As someone already said, they should have done more if the loved it so much.
I was in Taiwan last year and there were trees older/larger than this still standing because they supported the large, heavy main branches.
To everyone saying more should have been done to save a tree like this, did you not read that it was struck by lightning? There is no amount of trimming or propping up branches that can save a tree from lightning. Unfortunately homes, trees and children are hit by lightning in Central Florida every year. It is a reminder about how violent these storms can be and to protect your families. To the rest, learn to read or take a comprehension course.
OhMeOhMy

United States

#13 Jun 8, 2009
just a tree you say wrote:
look what this little oak was aspiring to be....
http://www.sciway.net/photos/coast-sc/angel-o...
just a silly tree you say... LOL everyone has thier little piece of heaven here on earth...
Johns Island, South Carolina – Angel Oak Tree
The Angel Oak on Johns Island is one of the oldest and largest live oaks in the country. It is believed to be more than 1,400 years old. The tree, which is a live oak, Quercus virginiana, a species prevalent in the sea islands of South Carolina, is 65 feet high and has a circumference of 25 feet. While its height may not be impressive, the shaded area covered by its foliage extends over 17,000 square feet, making it a delightful place to catch some shade in the summer months.
OMG...What a beautiful tree..thanks for sharing it.
florida native

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Jun 9, 2009
11b10aaa wrote:
I'd rather hear it went this way rather than to the chainsaws of a developer.
I agree, developers destroy acres of Florida's natural beauty every day
Chris

United States

#15 Jun 9, 2009
Normally I'm not one to seriously care about what controversies or "problems" arise from issues involving the increasing Mexican and Latino population in America....but this is just obsurd... and for once I think Bush's declaration on the matter is correct!

I'm searching for more articles on this matter because I want to try and find some sort of unbiased (meaning, not completely Left Wing, and not completely Right Wing) view on the matter...which I know is not likely to happen.

Basically, a British composer has rewritten the sacred "Stars Spangled Banner" into a Latin pop song called "Nuestro Himno" ("Our Anthem").

Just a plee for more votes for the Democrats (which have a good chance anyway of getting more votes because of Bush's popularity, or lack thereof). I don't know about you people, but when I sing our national anthem I do it with pride and the way Francis Scott Key wrote it. It's one thing to translate a book into another language, it's another thing to tamper with a song which means so much to Americans by turning it into a Politically Correct pop tune just because people are not willing to at the very least know the freakin National Anthem's words.

I personally would have no problem if they wrote up a song to advocate their immigration policy like how Band-Aid wrote up "Do They Know It’s Christmas?"...but for the love of God/Buddah/Elvis don't screw with the National Anthem.
Rich McKay reporter

Chicago, IL

#16 Jun 9, 2009
didnt try to save it wrote:
a lot of trees can be saved by trimming them
back and standing them up and bracing them.
i have seen it done many times.something should have been tried. never give up, never
surrender.
The weight of the tree, and gravity, tore it into a million pieces. There wasn't anything to save.
Rich McKay reporter

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 9, 2009
Chris wrote:
Normally I'm not one to seriously care about what controversies or "problems" arise from issues involving the increasing Mexican and Latino population in America....but this is just obsurd... and for once I think Bush's declaration on the matter is correct!
I'm searching for more articles on this matter because I want to try and find some sort of unbiased (meaning, not completely Left Wing, and not completely Right Wing) view on the matter...which I know is not likely to happen.
Basically, a British composer has rewritten the sacred "Stars Spangled Banner" into a Latin pop song called "Nuestro Himno" ("Our Anthem").
Just a plee for more votes for the Democrats (which have a good chance anyway of getting more votes because of Bush's popularity, or lack thereof). I don't know about you people, but when I sing our national anthem I do it with pride and the way Francis Scott Key wrote it. It's one thing to translate a book into another language, it's another thing to tamper with a song which means so much to Americans by turning it into a Politically Correct pop tune just because people are not willing to at the very least know the freakin National Anthem's words.
I personally would have no problem if they wrote up a song to advocate their immigration policy like how Band-Aid wrote up "Do They Know It’s Christmas?"...but for the love of God/Buddah/Elvis don't **** with the National Anthem.
Can you take this someplace else, please.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windermere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up our Food and Water is being poisoned!!! Apr 7 Mabel Allen 2
News Ocoee man accused of stabbing roommate during m... Mar 31 Lalonniemonzingo 1
Gov. Scott Stop Illegal Gang Stalking and Crook... Mar '17 Justice Will prevail 2
Govenor Scott please investigate these people. Mar '17 Justice in America 1
Stop Illegal Gang Stalking by governemnt officials Mar '17 Justice 1
Florida Travel Ball (Jun '10) Mar '17 S florida baseball 16
News Murder count hits grim 50 in Orange's deadliest... (Oct '06) Mar '17 KooK 16

Windermere Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Windermere Mortgages