Task force remembers 1920 riot in Ocoee

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Nearly nine decades have passed since the deadly 1920 Ocoee race riot, which left an ugly scar on the town's history that some residents think should be forgotten.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
James Fleming

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Article was accurate except for one item. July Perry was taken serious injured to Sheriff Gordon's Jail in Orlando. Sheriff Gordon allow a mob to remove him and lynch him at the current entrance to the Orlando Country Club in Orlando on U S HWY 441. He was not lynched in Ocoee as indicated in your article. Read the history, it is in your archives.
James R. Fleming Sr.
Descendant of a Participant
not black or white

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Hi, I am not black or white, but it this reason why I only drive through Ocoee, I do not stop at any store or location. I have friends in my high school that live in Ocoee and have asked that I come there to visit them, I refuse to go. I ask that they come to me in Winter Garden. Many times I have been called a s.pic, c.hink, w.etback, s.lope (seems like the people in those raised trucks can't figure out if I am asian of hispanic). I understand this incident happen 90 years ago, but I will still not stop for gas, food, or even at the west oaks mall, I just drive through.
Source

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Judged:

Ocoee seems to be a great community for all people. I have several friends who are residents here, and they always have positive things to say about their neighbors. This story is sad, but it reflects a time of the past. I was shocked, after being a lifelong resident of Orlando, to learn of the history of Ocoee. I was in my last year of college when I finally heard about this. As a young black male, this story strikes home with me. Itís just great to see how far we have come. Stories like this allow me to swell with pride on voting days. Though not perfect, America is still the place to be. May the lives of these victims never be forgotten.
spankie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

my subdivision in ocoee (wellington place) is small but very racially mixed. middle eastern, black, Hispanic, white, Asian, northern transplants, southern born, and even a real Florida native.... never ever has race been an issue. i thank God for the mix of different colored smiles we all get when we pass and and wave each day as life goes on.
Joan

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Your missing a great city, time to live in the present.
not black or white wrote:
Hi, I am not black or white, but it this reason why I only drive through Ocoee, I do not stop at any store or location. I have friends in my high school that live in Ocoee and have asked that I come there to visit them, I refuse to go. I ask that they come to me in Winter Garden. Many times I have been called a s.pic, c.hink, w.etback, s.lope (seems like the people in those raised trucks can't figure out if I am asian of hispanic). I understand this incident happen 90 years ago, but I will still not stop for gas, food, or even at the west oaks mall, I just drive through.
not black or white

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

actually, it was just recently while at a stop light at colonial and maguire that a group of good ol' boys in their raised truck were yelling down at me with those names. The names don't bother me much, but like I said. I will never get out of my car in Ocoee, still to many rednecks in that town
Oh, I am in Winter Garden, NOT Altamonte Springs?!?
Sgt Joe Thursday

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Judged:

Sounds like Ocoee is like Rock Ridge, the all-white cow town in Blazing Saddles, where the black sheriff said "in another 25 years, I'll be able to shake their hands in broad daylight."

From top to bottom, what a hole this state is.
spankie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

hey, i have family in rock ridge..... LOL :)
Samurai

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Ocoee is a completely different place than what it used to be, i'm black and i have no problems with the people who live here, people need to realize that the town is changing with the times and there are many people with different ethnicities that live here now.
Remember 1920 ocoee riot

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

No major media or even local outlets here in orlando mention this story during 2008 elections
opong
trevor glanville

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

ocoee police is the most racist police dept in central florida i was told by a police sergeant from ocoeehis name sgt mike bryant to take my black ass home after he stop stop and detain me for no reason while his superior officer look on, with his hands on his weapon,after contacting the ocoee police and filing a complain, i was ask by the chief, what did i say to the sergeant, mike bryant for him to say to me to take my black ass home, and that he will be watching me, racism is alive and kicking in ocoee, dont be fool
bornandraised

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

really to be brutally honest, ocoee cops are not rascist, they are just simply assholes, i jave had my fair share of times with them and im a good WHITE female.Race is not a factor for them they are just bored, not much happens in such a small town. so dont look too far into that. and ocoee isnt as bad as many people think. i was born and raised here and i feel like no one realizes how many good hearted people are here. Im sorry that we are the way we are("backwoods redenecks") and people are talking like ocoee is the only place in the world you find an ounce of rascisim, when i go to apopka or winter garden i find my self being hollered at by people also,thats rasiscm. so i dont think its fair to say anything about ocoee based on its past or a few select people who ARE still ignorant, because it has changed.
swanknee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

I have lived in Ocoee for 30 years and grew up in Chicago, Ill. for 16 years. For all of my 54 years I have had good and bad times will ALL tipes of people , races , religions, class, and educations. People often disappoint me but as my preacher says they are a fallen creation hell bent on sin in its many forms. I was not welcome in Ocoee in 78 Nov. cause I was a Yankee. But my Grandma was a Georgia cracker all the way and my Grand pa was a swede from the ol country. I hope that all those professing salvation through the forgiveness of Jesus Crist have forgiven all those transgressions others have done to us. So If you say your a christian lets forgive 70 x 7 daily and not remind but put away as far as the east is from the west . Let not just read or here the WORD but live it. Forgive that ye may be forgive as I have to forgive all those who have done ill to me. Read the Love chapter of 1 Cor. 13. AMEN???
troy

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

i remeber that day i was 17 that was the funest day ever menber of kkk
Life long Ocoee resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

I have lived here since 1978. We had our 1st black family move into our neighborhood this year. I'm more concerned with the non english speaking people who keep moving here. They play the music to load, live 5 families to one house and have 10 kids each. All on welfare. Time to move, not me, them.

Since: Jan 11

Ocoee, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Judged:

actually, it was just recently while at a stop light at colonial and maguire that a group of good ol' boys in their raised truck were yelling down at me with those names. The names don't bother me much, but like I said. I will never get out of my car in Ocoee, still to many rednecks in that town
Oh, I am in Winter Garden, NOT Altamonte Springs?!?
Well its 2011 now and there all gone. No where near what it used to be. your hard pressed to see a jacked up truck here now. Also they have renamed this town to MEXOCOEE it's right in between WINTER GARBAGE and CRIME HILLS.
SSA

Oceanside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

Life long Ocoee resident wrote:
I have lived here since 1978. We had our 1st black family move into our neighborhood this year. I'm more concerned with the non english speaking people who keep moving here. They play the music to load, live 5 families to one house and have 10 kids each. All on welfare. Time to move, not me, them.
Not all on welfare. Idiot.
Merline

Milton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2012

this story is bazar and unnessasary and i cant bnelieve the men lynched the guy just becuase he wanted to vote. i would never step foot in Ocoee and i hope no one else dopes either. horrible memories
Jayy

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2012

With good reason too. I am a white female and still have problems in Ocoee. After living here for 5 years the truth has finally come out. The KKK is still active around here and it's not safe for anyone. These people are ignorant and extremely violent. For your safety and well being, STAY OUT OF OCOEE!!!!!
HOPE- Buddy Rettell

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

THE 1960S WERE AS OF THE SAME AND THINGS DID NOT CHANGE IN THE GOVT SYSTEM FIGHT FOR CONTROL AS 2001 AND ON PROVED. many of fights and corruption behind closed doors as well as the drug issue's.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Windermere Discussions

Search the Windermere Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Jul 4 the protected species 2,911
Mayor of Ocoee Jun 27 Craig Smalley 1
tammy witz (Feb '13) Jun 19 yall are hoes 3
Florida Travel Ball (Jun '10) Jun 10 Sam 14
Review: Diva Doll Fitness and Pole (May '12) Jun '14 Jessica Rabbit 9
Review: Classy One Auto Sales Inc (Aug '13) May '14 Duval County 11
Winter Garden racism (Mar '08) May '14 Speak the truth 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Windermere Jobs

•••