Co. offers job back to man fired for ...

Co. offers job back to man fired for being at dying wife's side

There are 1 comment on the story from Mar 1, 2006, titled Co. offers job back to man fired for being at dying wife's side. In it, reports that:

WINDBER, Pa. - A company that fired a 13-year employee as his wife lay dying of brain cancer offered him his job back Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or

United States

#1 Mar 2, 2006
I am disgusted by this. As if Bernard Chippie grieving the loss of his wife isn't enough, he is unemployed because of it.
My mother was a Hospice patient for 8 months last year before she passed away in November 05. Between hospitals, home, Hospice Palliate care and nursing homes, I was by my mother's side everyday twice a day as needed.

I never thought twice about my employment. Although income was important, it was understood that if my employer didn't work with me on my time off, I would have to re-evaluate my employment.

Bernard Chippie's statement was right on..."There was never a question of where I needed to be,"

Chippie's employer can't take back what he did. Clearly, he found out the legal ramifications and now he's back peddling. My question is...does his employer know what Hospice is? Maybe he should try visiting a hospice unit.

There a ton of jobs out there...Chippie had one wife and he will never get her back.

Reading this article brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to Chippie and their family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Windber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News First woman police officer hired in Confluence (Feb '08) Jul '17 Wow 19
Windber police (Mar '07) Dec '16 Roger Helsel 4
Johnny Weissmuller's childhood home. (May '09) Dec '16 Roger Helsel 5
Hunch back of Ogletown (Dec '15) Dec '15 Anonymous 1
The Windber Area Museum (Oct '15) Nov '15 Jim Voytko Templ... 2
lost dog (Sep '15) Sep '15 lovey 1
Review: OPM (Feb '15) Feb '15 Steve 1

Windber Jobs

Personal Finance

Windber Mortgages