Illegal immigrants
Kay

Stafford, VA

#1 Jan 10, 2008
Is it just me or is Winchester harboring a rapidly growing number of Illegal immigrants? I have read this is costing the taxpayers millions of extra dollars to teach their children English in our schools. I don't understand how they get away with it. Doesn't illegal mean illegal? If I were doing something so blantantly illegal I would be arrested and thrown in jail. I see Winchester doing nothing about this rapidly growing problem. If they are please tell me what it is.
Deborah

Berryville, VA

#2 Feb 11, 2008
I don't know about all areas of town, but I know that my neighborhood has definitely been negatively impacted by illegal immigration and the blatant lack of enforcement of immigration laws by the Federal government and the lack of will of the local government to do anything about the problem.

The city supposedly has an ordinance about overcrowding, but it's like the barking dog ordinance; looks good on the books, but not enforced.

Landlords should be targeted along with business owners. If business didn't hire illegal immigrants and landlords were forbidden to rent to them the problem would stop right now, except for drug dealers, who the police could deal with.

I know that landlords simply do not care. It's simple economics, they are much more likely to get the rent every month from 6-8 unrelated adults, than one poor family; and apparently landlords in this town carry the clout needed to have the ordinances not enforced. Of course they don't live in the neighbors that they have helped destroy by overcrowding and antisocial behavior of their tenants.

They are profiting by abetting illegal immigrants while the other citizens of Winchester are paying to line the landlords and business owners pockets; increased costs for schools, law enforcement, translation services, medical cost, and of course, if you are hit by one of these uninsured and unlicensed illegal immigrants you have no hope of reimbursement, if they in fact are using their own names and show up in court.

Judging from the changes in neighborhoods, the customer's in the local WalMart, and the children getting on school buses, and the number of Hispanic grocery stores and restaurants, if all the Hispanics in Winchester are legal, we are getting the entire Commonwealth of Virginia's quota of legal immigrants from Mexico, El Salvador and points south.

I am not against legal immigration, although I think that should definitely be revisited in this age of overpopulation. And of course I realize we are a nation of immigrants, but this was before the welfare state. Our ancestors sunk or swam under their own steam. Didn't come here and immediately get free health care, education, or other perks. In this day, they expect all this and then demand more. It's time to take back our town and our country.

Kay

Stafford, VA

#3 Feb 23, 2008
Well put Deborah. I am not against immigrants coming to the US either as a matter of fact my daughter in law is from another country but just like her I think it should be done the right and legal way. She went through all of the proper channels and sacrificed until it was legal. This blatant disregard for our laws is very scary and disheartening.
Gary

Winchester, VA

#4 Apr 14, 2008
Just an update on how sad this has become. A couple of Hispanics came into my friends workplace the other day. When no one there spoke Spanish they called his superiors to express their anger and frustration that there were no Spanish speaking people to help them. My friend said it is just a matter of time before he is replaced with someone who is bilingual. Since when does an American have to be bilingual to keep his job?
Rosalina

Silver Spring, MD

#5 Mar 5, 2010
There is many illegals working right know at Trex company, this company is so dirty that even the HR manager has family working there and they are illegal immigrants, this is bull. Trex should be investigated!!!!!
O_M_G

Wytheville, VA

#6 Mar 7, 2010
Kay wrote:
Is it just me or is Winchester harboring a rapidly growing number of Illegal immigrants? I have read this is costing the taxpayers millions of extra dollars to teach their children English in our schools. I don't understand how they get away with it. Doesn't illegal mean illegal? If I were doing something so blantantly illegal I would be arrested and thrown in jail. I see Winchester doing nothing about this rapidly growing problem. If they are please tell me what it is.
You're lucky that they are teaching the illegals to speak English there. Out in this area, they are trying to force our kids to learn Spanish. And you are very correct.. illegal means illegal, no matter what language it's spoken in. The only ones who don't seem to get that is the government.
Jerry

Winchester, VA

#7 Mar 10, 2010
Please call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE to report immigration or customs violations. Here is the number for the US Immigration and Customs enforcement
Brandon Davis

Remington, VA

#8 Mar 17, 2010
Rosalina wrote:
There is many illegals working right know at Trex company, this company is so dirty that even the HR manager has family working there and they are illegal immigrants, this is bull. Trex should be investigated!!!!!
Hey, Rosalina

Is there anyway you could prove or know someone that could prove that Trex has hired illegal immigrants? I'm a news reporter for a small paper but If I could have a better lead I might run with this story...think you could help me out? It is illegal to hire illegals thats how simply it is. So, if companies locally are doing that it should be known and they should be punished to the furtherest extent of the law.

email me at: [email protected]
Jed

Winchester, VA

#9 Mar 25, 2010
All need to go back their own countries and then there would be jobs for the locals around here that are having troubles feeding their families, local government and the Feds would save on freebe healthcare. Locals could geta small business loan to purchase a mom and pop shop buy as it is now only those coming to this country are given the oppurtunity for a loan not the locals.Country going to h--- and the taxpayers have no say in whats going on. Bills beings passed by back door deals and the hidden deals and the costs being hidden from the taxpayer. Those of you who voted for change , well by GOD you have received your change.
Plugger

Winchester, VA

#10 Apr 2, 2010
Jed you said it all man and call it like it is.
think

Edinburg, VA

#11 Apr 3, 2010
Jed wrote:
All need to go back their own countries and then there would be jobs for the locals around here that are having troubles feeding their families, local government and the Feds would save on freebe healthcare. Locals could geta small business loan to purchase a mom and pop shop buy as it is now only those coming to this country are given the oppurtunity for a loan not the locals.Country going to h--- and the taxpayers have no say in whats going on. Bills beings passed by back door deals and the hidden deals and the costs being hidden from the taxpayer. Those of you who voted for change , well by GOD you have received your change.
blame it on regan for union busting,bush1 and clinton for pushing NAFTA down our throats[anyone remember that big eared little man talking about the great sucking sound of our jobs leaving],and bush2[shrub]who just did nothing at all for the working man.its time we woke up and stopped listening to those bad jokes on fox news and start thinking for ourselves and not let the rich plant phony facts in our heads.POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
jerry

Winchester, VA

#12 Apr 23, 2010
Blaming it. On someone doesn't solve it. Write a letter to our senators and local represenatives!
Jed

Winchester, VA

#13 Apr 24, 2010
Writin a letter , well thats a good idea and then they will have some thin to wipe their arss wiff. Like we the taxpayers mean anthing these days. Money is power and little power people here in this area. What it is goin to take is for the country as a hole to rise up as 1 and say enough of this sheight and take our great country back. Well this could get me long winded a most powerful topic my freinds so I will close by sayin unless there is a revote by the great hardworkin people of thisd great country nthen the road is goin to get ruffer and nuthin we can do strap on the train ,grab em and spread em wide , its gunna hurt my freinds.
Jed

Winchester, VA

#14 Apr 24, 2010
oops -revolt is the word- loss one lens and waitin for check to gets new one.
Help save America

United States

#15 May 17, 2010
http://www.numbersusa.com/petition ...#

http://www.securetheborder.org/

Please sign these petitions.

If you want our laws upheld please check out these websites! Please do your part!
Thank you...
CONTRARIAN

Winchester, VA

#16 Aug 21, 2011
I disagree. First, hispanic people are very hard working, from my experience. As proof, most of you have cited that they are in some way or another 'stealing' jobs from Americans. That is an admission that they come here to work, not to suck up welfare.

They do jobs no one else wants. If you need a landscaper, there are lots of companies. That's skilled help. What if you need someone to cut wood, rake rocks, or shovel dirt? They are here doing jobs no one else wants, for a pittance. Go ahead and search on craigslist or similar search engines for those types of laborious jobs. See a lot of American boys posting their availability for such tasks? Nope.

Hispanics are people. What should we do, not educate them in English so they can become like the Jews in the land of Israel? Increasingly ignorant from generation to generation until they are virtual slaves? Or force people willing to work harder than anyone else out of our country and back to abysmal conditions?

They come here because they have it bad in their native countries, which are frequently lawless, violent hell holes. They come here to work for a better life. If we have to teach them English, that means we are employing ESL teachers, who are Americans. So there are jobs created for Americans, with tax benefits withheld. The hispanic workers spend their money here, so it isn't as if their wages are sucked into a vacuum cleaner: they go to stores and restaurants and spend their money just like everyone else. They buy food, boots, hats, jeans, t.v.'s, etc. All of which benefits local stores, all of which results in sales tax, all of which helps the economy.

I like everyone else worry about gangs and crime. We all worry about MS13 and things like that. But I've personally never met a hispanic person who wasn't hard working, decent, and Christian. In many ways, if you are a Christian, you probably have far more in common with a hispanic person than you do most Europeans, as you share a common faith, which usually dictates and shapes your most fundamental values.

My personal experience is that I see a lot of caucasian Americans who seek unemployment benefits or welfare and sit on their butts, but refuse to do hard work that is available because they don't want to work that hard for $8-10/hour. Yet those are the same people who will complain about hispanic workers out there busting their butts for whatever they can get. Again, if you don't believe me, look on Craigslist. Look in the locals. Find someone willing to shovel dirt and rake rocks and work out in the sun for $8-$10/hour. Good luck.

They are good people and they simply don't deserve the animosity they get here. I tend to think if we were in their country we would be treated better, at least hospitably. I would certainly prefer that they come here legally, but I also realize that some of them are literally trying to escape in order to survive. What would you do? Put yourself in their shoes, and see if you'd have the courage to leave your country with no education and try to make a living with your body. Are you man enough to do that for your family?

I feel sad for anyone who thinks being bilingual is a curse, or is "unfair." Broaden your mind. Don't you think it would be cool to be able to speak and understand another language? Most hispanics know more english than we do Spanish. That's very telling as to who is trying harder. You all act like they demand that we teach them English, but in truth, even most "good old boy" hispanic males have picked up at least some English. How much Spanish do you know?

If I saw lots of Americans willing to do the hard labor that so many "claim" I'd feel different. But personally, I don't see Americans competing for those types of jobs at all. Not even kids. Perhaps especially not kids. I did that stuff when I was 16, 17, now I can't find anyone that age who does that.

I like hispanics. They are hard working, good people.
think

Edinburg, VA

#17 Aug 27, 2011
contrary,you are about as wrong as can be-me thinks you are one of those lining his pockets from using the illegals!I was out of work because these "good"people told lies on me.in the town were i live there has been 2 killings in the last few years both by your good hardworking illegals,there has been a rise in violent drug crimes in the area because of these good people!and they do use our system to get free medical,food and any thing else they can steal from the taxpayers,ask any one working for the services at your local goverment sights they will tell you,on the job i was fired from by the lies,they put out in the lunch rooms several times a year the pamphlets from the welfare services to let them know what is out there for them to steal because they want the taxpayer to take care of their illegals and not have to pay a higher wage
!who wants to learn their cool language its an abomination of spanish!YOU are a TRAITOR TO THIS COUNTRY FOR PREACHING THIS SH**!
Rosalina

Bowling Green, VA

#18 Sep 21, 2011
Many of those illigal immigrants are gay too!!!
Rosalina

Bowling Green, VA

#19 Sep 21, 2011
lol
junior

Stephens City, VA

#20 Sep 27, 2011
woow thats stupid haha its funny how yall talk bout immigrants they r the bombd hahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Foodat captain Ds 9 hr Fishless in Winch... 1
Good NA meetings in Winchester ?!?! Jul 23 Kandy 2
Head shops in Winchester ? Jul 21 SPG 2
Review: Andrew G Gilfillan Dental - Frank J Var... (Apr '11) Jul 17 Brenda Jenkins 39
Wegmans coming to Winchester? (Apr '12) Jul 15 Winchester 19
Review: Victorian Nail Spa Jul 15 Sarah 1
News Community Bulletin Board (Jul '07) Jun '15 Sizemore 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winchester Mortgages