Winchester City Council
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Riverwatcher

United States

#1 Sep 16, 2012
If everyone on the city board was up for election today, who would you vote for or not. Please provide reasons for against whoever, so others may be informed. Maybe we can learn thing's we might not have known.
More Facts

Winchester, TN

#2 Sep 17, 2012
I will be voting against all incumbents.
Just the Facts

Winchester, TN

#3 Sep 17, 2012
More Facts wrote:
I will be voting against all incumbents.
I too will vote against any and all incumbents even the mayor! Tired of my tax dollars funding the Square and the dogwood flop!
Seriously

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2012
I will vote for them all. They are doing a great job. The city has improved greatly in the last few years.
Riverwatcher

United States

#5 Sep 17, 2012
Just the facts has been the only the offer a reason. I appreciate it. Also so am I not correct in understanding that the money downtown is from the state?

Also seriously can you explain more? I'm new to the area and curious how you believe it has improved.

I also here rumors about all the members and are curious what may be true and not.

Also is there any kind of push to bring new employment to the area? Its seems to be lacking, and have no mention of any elected official attempting to address it.
Seriously

Rathdrum, ID

#6 Sep 17, 2012
The economy has been tough the last few years and Winchester has seen growth in industry The tax rate has remained constant. The square was all done with state grant money. Retail has improved but still needs some good anchor stores and restaurants. There are a few "experts" around here who want to be critical of everything. The city is definitely going in the right direction.
Itdoesntmatter

Winchester, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2012
That grant money SHOULD NOT have went to privately owned businesses!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously

Rathdrum, ID

#8 Sep 17, 2012
Itdoesntmatter wrote:
That grant money SHOULD NOT have went to privately owned businesses!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely an opinion. The upgrades are a refreshing site. Hopefully these changes are what it will take for investors to notice a progressive city and decide they want to do business here. Not necessarily on the square but in the city or county for that matter.
Lifetime citizen

Winchester, TN

#9 Sep 17, 2012
Good thing Winchester had the foresight to annex all that property on the other side of Decherd since that is where all the "progress" begins.Everything on this side of Wagner Creek looks pretty well ghetto.
Itdoesntmatter

Winchester, TN

#10 Sep 17, 2012
@Seriously.........Did the owners of those businesses on the square apply for those grants that were received from the state? I think the answer to that would be NO. If I am wrong I'm wrong, but privately owned businesses have NO business getting grant money that was applied for by the city. I dare say it's probably a city ordinance that it is the responsibility of the owner of the business to take care of the up keep of the business and building!

But I digress, this is just another prime example of Winchester's GOOD OLD BOY NETWORK way of running things. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!
Had enough

Winchester, TN

#11 Sep 17, 2012
My opinions relating to the City Council and Mayor are as follow.

Jack Bell - The best council member we have. He knows what needs to be done to bring the city into this century and is willing to stand up for his beliefs. Not running next time but I would vote for him.

Wayne Hart - Has surprised me by his independence and willing to vote his convictions. Not quite as up on the needs of the city. Second best. Not running next time. I would probably vote for him if he keeps up the trend.

Cheyne Stewart - Started out strong but fizzled out. May be too distracted by personal issues. Term is up this time. Would not vote for him unless he turns it around soon.

Bruce Spencer - To me Bruce is weak and brings little to the table. I also don't think the tax assesor should be on the council. Term is up this time. Would not vote for him.

Willie Womack - In my opinion by far the worst of the bunch. The epitome of good old boy politics and putting personal interests first. Has done little good and much harm. Term is up this time. Would not vote for him.

Mayor Harrell - You didn't ask but in my opinion not up to the task at hand. Has been involved In the city fovernment and with the good old boys far too long. Better, and I think more honest, than that Stewart guy. Not running this time. Would not vote for him.

If we can elect three strong council members next election, we should see solid progress, not just a cosmetic redo with tax money. If not, Winchester doesn't have a chance to be all it can be.
Itdoesntmatter

Winchester, TN

#12 Sep 18, 2012
I agree Bad Enough.......but the thing of it is not enough people care to even vote and that's just sad. It was something like 22% of registered voters voted in this last local election. What does that tell you?
Local elections are just as important as this election coming up in November.

We need to get rid of this good old boy network once and for all and the only way to do that is to make people aware of what's going on and vote these cronies out!!!!!!!!
Had enough

Winchester, TN

#13 Sep 18, 2012
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely an opinion. The upgrades are a refreshing site. Hopefully these changes are what it will take for investors to notice a progressive city and decide they want to do business here. Not necessarily on the square but in the city or county for that matter.
The "upgrades" are a "refreshing site"(sic), is a statement that compliments the downtown. Confused. We now have art deco street lights, Victorian facades, modern, cheap store fronts, and dozens of little lights stuck everywhere that are not appropriate for the Victorian facades. Not a refreshing site (or sight) but a comical one. And all paid for with tax money. It's sad that what could have been will never be. Now Winchester looks like Winchester is. Too bad.
good ole boys

United States

#14 Sep 18, 2012
Itdoesntmatter wrote:
I agree Bad Enough.......but the thing of it is not enough people care to even vote and that's just sad. It was something like 22% of registered voters voted in this last local election. What does that tell you?
Local elections are just as important as this election coming up in November.
We need to get rid of this good old boy network once and for all and the only way to do that is to make people aware of what's going on and vote these cronies out!!!!!!!!
I am so sick of the shenanigans local OFFICIALS pull on all of us that I can hardly finish my daily meals without tossing up into the trash can. Decherd and its newest crew is as crooked as a poison ivy branch left to mature and choke out the tree it attached itself to.

Winchester got grants to refurb privately owned businesses so that area looks good and brings in new shop owners. All on the backs of tax payers.

Lets hope Robin and his Robin Hood aldermen don't do the same to Decherd. That city is too small for higher taxes, yet it would be nice to see the downtown area improved. However, not on the backs of such a small population's taxes.

Estill seemed to have done good this yr. They came out with an overage on their budget when all the yr end financials were run. Robin and his crew of banditos took over a yr ago. Why haven't they balanced that budget?

Maybe Tony should run for mayor in decherd or winchester next time. Doesn't he own property in both locations?
Had enough

Winchester, TN

#15 Sep 19, 2012
Here is a question to think about. If a downtown building owner profits due to an increase in the worth of his property resulting from the expenditure of tax money to imporve his building, is he required to report the windfall on his tax return and pay taxes on the amount of the improvements?

Some folks are outraged by the expenditure of tax money on privately owned property. I wonder what the present State Attorney General, the present State Comptroller, or the Assistant US Attorney General would have to say about it. Is what is going on really legal? Politics have changed a bit since the project started.

These possibilities would keep me awake at night.
Itdoesntmatter

Winchester, TN

#16 Sep 19, 2012
There again nobody cares or I should say not enough people care.....and one voice isn't going to be enough to get anything changed.........
Decherd Voter

Winchester, TN

#17 Sep 19, 2012
good ole boys wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so sick of the shenanigans local OFFICIALS pull on all of us that I can hardly finish my daily meals without tossing up into the trash can. Decherd and its newest crew is as crooked as a poison ivy branch left to mature and choke out the tree it attached itself to.
Winchester got grants to refurb privately owned businesses so that area looks good and brings in new shop owners. All on the backs of tax payers.
Lets hope Robin and his Robin Hood aldermen don't do the same to Decherd. That city is too small for higher taxes, yet it would be nice to see the downtown area improved. However, not on the backs of such a small population's taxes.
Estill seemed to have done good this yr. They came out with an overage on their budget when all the yr end financials were run. Robin and his crew of banditos took over a yr ago. Why haven't they balanced that budget?
Maybe Tony should run for mayor in decherd or winchester next time. Doesn't he own property in both locations?
Robin and his Robin Hood alderman inherited the past budget and it was a budget the former administrator developed. Revenues were stretched fore the year and the 2012-2013 budget will be balanced. You have know idea how hard it is to devolope a budget. I have developed one for my church (215,025.75 a year) and the county when I served as a commissioner.
More Facts

Winchester, TN

#18 Sep 19, 2012
Back to the "art deco street lights", it would appear that the sole purpose of the lights is to light up the top of the canopies. Duhhhh
good ole boys

United States

#19 Sep 19, 2012
Give it a little time, then Robin and his merry men will buy the same kind of lights to shine over city hall or weddington park.

'decherd voter' is a person trying to sound like Karl or that other guy who used to be a commissioner who is now an elected decherd official. Speak up, Robin and use your own name. Stop hiding behind one of the little trees in your 8th Ave front yard. Of course, you have it rented these days and you are living at your mama's house which used to be your grandmother's house.

Stop blaming others for your shortfalls. Stop pretending to be someone else. Will Karl and the other guy like you pretenting to be them?
Had enough

Winchester, TN

#20 Sep 20, 2012
This thread is about Winchester, not Decherd. No wonder Decherd has so many problems. The folks there are confused about where they live.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muslims Nov 25 obamabinladen 6
Any activists in Tullahoma? Nov 23 Lovetrumpshate 4
Winchester water (Jan '13) Nov 23 Belvidere resident 7
*** Dr. Ben Carson for President 2016 *** (Jan '16) Nov 22 Beverly 4
wade anderton (Jun '14) Nov 17 Lifetime citizen 8
Sewanee Football Nov 14 Alum 1
Russell Barnett Ford and Chris Ball Nov 11 Lifetime citizen 8

Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance