The Video Club - another WinCAM Success Story

Posted in the Winchester Forum

Volunteer Producer

Medford, MA

#1 Dec 8, 2010
On Tuesdays from 2:30 to 4:30 pm, WinCAM hosts The Video Club, a fun learning experience for middle-school students in Winchester. The program started several years ago at the public access tv station located behind Winchester High School at 80 Skillings Road.

On November 23 Joe LaRocca again conducted the weekly program which started at the beginning of the school year. "It's to educate the students about television production. This year we're producing a monthly half hour show created entirely by the kids" LaRocca said about the program after a good turn-out of about ten people this Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

"Anyone in middle school is welcome to join up at any point. It's not like you have to be in from the beginning" noted the Assistant Station Manager, LaRocca.

LaRocca runs the program, though there are several high school students who help out with the creation of the show...Robert Gotham, Dan Holahan and Katie Clark. "Today we filmed intros for each of the students in front of the green screen for the top of the show.
The kids did all the control room work, camera work and setting up of the green screen" teacher/director Larocca explained.

Along with this learning of TV techniques and other elements of production the students have the knowledge that their work will be broadcast in their community and on the worldwide web via Wincam.org

The first episode of the show will contain a trailer for Lydia Mullens feature-length movie that she's worked on the entire summer of 2010. It will also have Robert Gotham's animated short about 1950s cars coming to life and flying (note that this movie will be in 3D!) Other features of the show that have yet to be filmed are the kids' take on the news, educational updates and movie reviews.

"This year we are really trying to put all the power in the students' hands; I learned all this myself from making my own mistakes. I'd like to give them that opportunity - to make mistakes in a controlled environment" LaRocca said.

Check out http://wincam.org for information on when the first show will be completed and broadcast times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 6 hr Totally disgusted 1,169
Health: Erectile dysfunction medication can cau... (Jul '10) Tue jimmycollins123 16
Communities gather for Winchester teen's funeral Mon Lynne 2
Gay snapchaters Sep 29 Higgester 2
Malden Scout Robbed Sep 29 Becca 1
malden police and how they lie Sep 22 Boner 8
Family of CIA contractor slain in Benghazi may sue Sep 21 Retired SOF 10

Winchester News Video

Winchester Dating
Find my Match

Winchester Jobs

Winchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winchester News, Events & Info