Cops disrupt work sites

Oct 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Boston Herald

Barbara Anderson of Citizens for Limited Taxation called police "bullies" for taking after a pair of Massachusetts Water Resources Authority workers at a site without a police officer or civilian flagger.

Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mee

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

To protect and to serve . . . construction equipment.
Carrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

Mee wrote:
To protect and to serve ... construction equipment.
No they are there to protect the workers on the job! Do some research. The unions want their people protected by the police, not flagger.
The Truth

Malden, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

It's probably more like one union wants another to get what they believe that they are entitled under their contract.
Levi

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

I think on certain job sites that flaggers are able to do the job if safe to do so. If it is in a high traffic area a police officer should be there. Police officers want these easy detail jobs to make extra money. Usually they are just standing around. I am not bashing police - I do have a lot of respect for them. But in this instance I think a flagger could do the job just as well.
Everett

Newton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

Yeah and a flagger would be allot cheaper. you see the cops standing around talking on the phone, boy thats hard.
Same old bull

Everett, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

It's time to stop the needless spending, as long as it doesn't disrupt public safety, then they should use flagmen.
EverettCitizen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

The PEOPLE can not afford the higher prices. 49 states use civilian FLAGGERS, flagging is NOT police work.
Carrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

Well obviously it is police work. In most instances they are there for the protection of the workers. Would you want to be down a manhole in a bad area without a cop up above you? These people are in danger and need the police, not some person with a damn flag. It is not even goign to save money, just wait and see what these flaggers will make. They will end up making as much as the police do. It is another rediculous attempt at saving money. How about all of the rest of the cops start writing tickets to all the idiots on the road driving like maniacs. We would be out of debt in a few days!
Evelyn

Sandy Hook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

The State may save money now but! The FLAGGERS will most likely form a Union and then they will be making as much as the Police Officiers have made. The FLAGGERS will also be talking on the phone,drinking coffee and talking with friends as they walk by. No different then the Police Officiers.
Carrie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2008

Judged:

Evelyn wrote:
The State may save money now but! The FLAGGERS will most likely form a Union and then they will be making as much as the Police Officiers have made. The FLAGGERS will also be talking on the phone,drinking coffee and talking with friends as they walk by. No different then the Police Officiers.
Exacly Evelyn, this is a bunch of crap that Deval started.
hooky

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

Levi wrote:
I think on certain job sites that flaggers are able to do the job if safe to do so. If it is in a high traffic area a police officer should be there. Police officers want these easy detail jobs to make extra money. Usually they are just standing around. I am not bashing police - I do have a lot of respect for them. But in this instance I think a flagger could do the job just as well.
Do you expect to see any of this money that "we" are saving? Police are underpaid for the job, let them make it up somewhere.
Worried Wife

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

The flaggers will be making just as much as the cops. So, where is the savings? My husband works a job where they use police details all the time. They have been in situations where idiots threw rocks at them, glass bottles, and even tried to rob them. There safety is the issue, not saving money, which will not happen anyway. These flaggers will be union and making 42$ and hour too. This is an attempt to appear to be cutting costs when in reality, there is no savings, and workers lives will be put at risk.
Dove

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

Anyone can demonstate, if they don't don't disrupt, these COPS ARE DISTURBING the PEACE....and the State will start ARRESTING THESES CRIMINIALS.... The cops think they will be the judge and jury.....not here in AMERICA.
Concerned Wife

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

People picket all the time if they think things are unfair. The Governor wants you to think this is going to save money,but it will not. It may save the utility companies money in the short term, but in the end these flaggers will go union and make as much as the police. People who work in utilities are ready to protest also. If they have flaggers at a job they may walk off. They understand the danger this puts them in.
Concerned Wife

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

The Commissioner of the Division of Occupational Safety (???DOS???),pursuant to her authority under M.G.L. ch. 149,???? 26-27H, then established the wage and rate based on the negotiatedlaborer collective bargaining agreement. The side-by-side cost analysis compared the road flagger prevailing wage withavailable rate information for police details across the Commonwealth.Police detail rates werecompiled from multiple sources, including schedule information provided by (i) the Massachusetts Chief???s of Police Association (???MCOPA???),(ii) directlyfrom municipal police agencies, and (iii) using current rate information on file with MassHighway.The State Police charge a flat rate of $40.00, which includes the officer and officialpolice vehicle. DOS divides the Commonwealth into four labor (4) zones, whichin turn represent different geographical areas.3Zone 1 generally represents Metro Boston and has higher rates than Zone 4, which generally represents Berkshire, Franklin, and Hampshirecounties. Table 1 represents the road flagger prevailing wage as it varies by zone, specificallyin Boston, Abington, Agawam, and Adams during the negotiated periods from 2008 to 2011.The wage rates in Tables 1, 1.1, and 2 include the ???fringe benefits??? of health and welfare,pension, and annuity.4Unlikerates for flaggers, police detail rates are the actual wage paid topolice and do not include fringe benefits. Table 1 Flagger Prevailing Wage ZoneEffective 1 Boston $34.85 $35.85 $36.85 Zone 2 Abington $33.45 $34.45 $35.45 Zone 3 Agawam$31.83 $32.83 $33.83 Zone 4 Adams $31.70 $32.70 $
allen

Revere, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

have you seen these police at these sites cell phones coffee pulling cars over to talk to the women
Everett-Chelsea area girl

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

allen wrote:
have you seen these police at these sites cell phones coffee pulling cars over to talk to the women
All the time!!!! And its always the "happily married' cops grinning and chatting it up with the 20 something chickies in town. At least it is that way in Everett.
Fat Albert

Somerville, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Judged:

Evelyn wrote:
That is not really accurate. Flaggers who do not do the job well or correctly, will be able to be suspended, fired or replaced. There is very little (if any) oversight of police details in Massachusetts, other than if an enforcement officer on detail actually breaks the law or is grossly negligent.
Concerned Wife

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Judged:

Everett-Chelsea area girl wrote:
<quoted text>
All the time!!!! And its always the "happily married' cops grinning and chatting it up with the 20 something chickies in town. At least it is that way in Everett.
Wow talk about a stereotype. Not all cops are unfaithful. What line of work are you in?
Everett-Chelsea area girl

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Judged:

Concerned Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow talk about a stereotype. Not all cops are unfaithful. What line of work are you in?
I guess I dont see the point of your inquiry, but I have a white collar job. I certainly don't hang about at work sites where others are really working and pretend to be a concerned officer serving and protecting. I dont chat on a cell phone while on the clock, I dont drink coffee when I should be being productive, I dont hang in car windows with my butt halfway in the street talking to hot guys when I should be directing and observing on coming traffic, I dont hide in my car with the heater on when its cold or with the AC on when its hot. But I'm guessing your "husband" does. I am from Everett, I know lots of people. I know lots of people who are now cops and I know how little they actually care about the job. Most dont take it as seriously as they should. If you can pry your husband away fromn the girls at Dunkin Donuts, maybe you should talk to him about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Winchester Discussions

Search the Winchester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
As Malden turns (Aug '13) 3 hr 15malden 58
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
facebook Aug 16 Voice of Reason 6
DeMoulas Aug 13 STOP SHOP CUSTOME... 2
Kinnon vs Ultrino Aug 11 New 2 Malden 1
Revere Beach in photos: Its messy, unapologetic... Aug 11 reality is a crutch 1
medical marijuana Aug 7 Hector 1
•••
•••

Winchester News Video

•••
Winchester Dating

more search filters

less search filters