City Employee Pay Raise
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jobless

Winchester, KY

#1 May 31, 2012
I just wish I had a job! With so many people out of work, it seems unforgivable that there will be a 3% pay raise. I am sure they work hard and haven't had a raise in several years, but so did I, and due to the bad economy, my boss had no alternative but to let several of us go.
jealous or lazy

United States

#2 May 31, 2012
jobless wrote:
I just wish I had a job! With so many people out of work, it seems unforgivable that there will be a 3% pay raise. I am sure they work hard and haven't had a raise in several years, but so did I, and due to the bad economy, my boss had no alternative but to let several of us go.
And that has what to do with you? It's not their fault you no longer have a job,
I guess you think they shouldn't get a raise because your company let you go? The 2 have nothing to do with each other, be glad some people still have jobs, I guess nobody should get a raise until you get a job? Go to Lexington I was over there last week and I saw now hiring & help wanted signs everywhere, there's work out there, you just have to want it, get out there & look for it, Toyota hires temps everyday, Johnson Controls hire temps everyday, both pay very well, if you don't have a job, that's your fault there's no excuse, stay off topix complaining about the ones that do have jobs and do something about it, a job is not going to come knocking on your door, excuse me it's time for me to go to work.
John

Winchester, KY

#3 May 31, 2012
jobless wrote:
There's no reason you don't have a job. There's hiring signs all over town. Get up and find one
Jobless

Winchester, KY

#4 May 31, 2012
John wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no reason you don't have a job. There's hiring signs all over town. Get up and find one
You obviously work for the city.
me

Dayton, OH

#5 Jun 2, 2012
Keep reading the article. While we are asking for a 3% raise our insurance is going up 9%. So guess what? We are losing more money in the long run. Go to speedway they are hiring management positions. I sure hope you qualify.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6 Jun 3, 2012
jobless wrote:
Wow, could you be anymore self-centered? I guess I should quit my job then, and wait until you land one, and then get a raise before starting back up again. While there may be other reasons for your unemployment, with your attitude, it's no wonder you remain unemployed.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#7 Jun 3, 2012
I like what Me said.I believe he should read the rest of the story as P.H. used to say. I believe that they should get At Least 3 percent a year regardless.What they're getting don't offset the cost of their co-pays plus the economy.Like several posters quoted there are jobs out there.Get off Topix and start looking.
another opinion

Winchester, KY

#8 Jun 3, 2012
Obviously all of the previous posters are city/family of city employees.
This is no time to raise salaries....period. Everyone's cost of living has been rising. In my opinion city employees do not deserve a raise anymore than anyone else, and until this economy gets moving in the right direction, all salaries should be frozen.
other workers

Louisville, KY

#9 Jun 3, 2012
State and federal government workers are taking a hit with no COLA raises and increased paycheck cuts, lay offs and unpaid, forced days off for 3 years now. I agree, all salaries should be and stay frozen.

Location hidden

#10 Jun 3, 2012
another opinion wrote:
Obviously all of the previous posters are city/family of city employees.
This is no time to raise salaries....period. Everyone's cost of living has been rising. In my opinion city employees do not deserve a raise anymore than anyone else, and until this economy gets moving in the right direction, all salaries should be frozen.
Obviously, based on your overgeneralization (I actually work in the private sector), you probably don't have much to back up your point, because you're talking out of your backside. What makes you think they don't deserve a raise? Do you have access to performance reviews that we're not aware of? What about police and fire? You are aware that WPD starts out in the neighborhood of $9-10 per hour, right? If the salaries aren't competitive, our city will have a harder time keeping those departments adequately staffed. I'm sure you have no issues calling either of them out if you needed them in an emergency. If you told me to do an increasing amount of work for the same pay (something that's also happening in the private sector, which I work in), I'd start looking for another job, and I would expect the same for them.

Additionally, 3% on a $30,000/year salary is $900 per year, which amounts to $75 per month, a whopping $17 per week. You're really going to complain about that? Seriously? There's other salaries higher up, but I'm pretty confident that the annual salary I quoted (which amounts to about $14.70 per hour) is going to be near the median of what they make.

I can make a similar generalization about your post as well. I can assume that (a) you are unemployed and don't pay any taxes beyond sales and gas taxes (b) you're living off the government teat, and again, don't pay any taxes beyond sales/gas. But then, I'm better than that. I don't know you, nor your employment status. However, unless you have some solid data that we don't have access to, I'd love to see it. Otherwise, you're just bloviating.
John Q Public

United States

#11 Jun 3, 2012
Just a question, so all salaries should be frozen? Does that include every single employee in private sector as well? Because I want a raise at my job.
Jane Q

Winchester, KY

#12 Jun 3, 2012
John Q Public wrote:
Just a question, so all salaries should be frozen? Does that include every single employee in private sector as well? Because I want a raise at my job.
Private sector not taking our tax dollars. They're on their own or rather what is left of them after the current administration's policies trying to destroy private sectors.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 3, 2012
Jane Q wrote:
<quoted text>
Private sector not taking our tax dollars. They're on their own or rather what is left of them after the current administration's policies trying to destroy private sectors.
I think he/she was trying to expose the apparent hypocrisy in that people who are quick to say that the city employees don't deserve a raise are likely the same people who would cry foul if their employer did the same to them. And they're absolutely right.
other workers

Louisville, KY

#14 Jun 3, 2012
So what is the difference in city government as opposed to state and federal, who are taking the brunt of the furloughs and pay cuts, increases in retirement pay ins, etc?
Thelma

United States

#15 Jun 3, 2012
You ppl gripe if ppl receive welfare (your tax money) and you gripe if they are a city employee & WORK for a pay check (your tax money), I just don't get it, the gov is going to spend your tax money regardless of if it's on welfare, giving employees raises, or whatever they are still going to spend your money, your still going to have to pay taxes, so why get all upset over something you do not & can not control? At least the city employees are working and not sitting at home drawing your tax money for free, get over it already!! Get pissed when they raise welfare & food stamps, not a persons wages.
topount

Louisville, KY

#16 Jun 3, 2012
Thelma wrote:
You ppl gripe if ppl receive welfare (your tax money) and you gripe if they are a city employee & WORK for a pay check (your tax money), I just don't get it, the gov is going to spend your tax money regardless of if it's on welfare, giving employees raises, or whatever they are still going to spend your money, your still going to have to pay taxes, so why get all upset over something you do not & can not control? At least the city employees are working and not sitting at home drawing your tax money for free, get over it already!! Get pissed when they raise welfare & food stamps, not a persons wages.
I think people gripe about the abuse in welfare, not the entire welfare system; and if they are a government employee who is furloughed and making increasingly less while another branch is receiving a raise. At this point it's not at all about taxes. It's a question of why some government workers are feeling the crunch when others aren't.
Thelma

United States

#17 Jun 3, 2012
topount wrote:
<quoted text>I think people gripe about the abuse in welfare, not the entire welfare system; and if they are a government employee who is furloughed and making increasingly less while another branch is receiving a raise. At this point it's not at all about taxes. It's a question of why some government workers are feeling the crunch when others aren't.
That may be true, but you also have to consider that most gov employees make twice as much money as city employees, most gov employees sit behind a comfy desk, not all city employees but a large portion of city employees such as police & fire have very physical demanding jobs & I think they deserve more than what they get paid locally & definitely deserve their raises, city employees and especially Winchester make less than Lexington, and state employees, if they were making the big bucks too I could see why everyone would get upset over a raise, but a police officer starting out at $8/9 hr come on.
fallacy

Louisville, KY

#18 Jun 3, 2012
Thelma wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be true, but you also have to consider that most gov employees make twice as much money as city employees, most gov employees sit behind a comfy desk, not all city employees but a large portion of city employees such as police & fire have very physical demanding jobs & I think they deserve more than what they get paid locally & definitely deserve their raises, city employees and especially Winchester make less than Lexington, and state employees, if they were making the big bucks too I could see why everyone would get upset over a raise, but a police officer starting out at $8/9 hr come on.
That's entirely incorrect. City employees in Lexington are paid on an equal or greater scale than state workers for the same job. Most do not sit behind a comfy desk, either. There are state and federal LEOs also, mmanual labor and secretaries like in the city. You need to do some comparisons of government salaries before you make those statements. I'm very familiar with all three but would be interested in what you find out factually, not just old rhetoric about overpaid government workers. Those days are long gone (if they ever existed for most positions).
As far as Winchester pay rate, workers are generally paid according to their locale and the cost of living in that area, as well as their education and the scope and affect of their jobs; i.e., how many fires they have to battle, etc. as compared to a small town.
Thelma

United States

#19 Jun 3, 2012
fallacy wrote:
<quoted text>That's entirely incorrect. City employees in Lexington are paid on an equal or greater scale than state workers for the same job. Most do not sit behind a comfy desk, either. There are state and federal LEOs also, mmanual labor and secretaries like in the city. You need to do some comparisons of government salaries before you make those statements. I'm very familiar with all three but would be interested in what you find out factually, not just old rhetoric about overpaid government workers. Those days are long gone (if they ever existed for most positions).
As far as Winchester pay rate, workers are generally paid according to their locale and the cost of living in that area, as well as their education and the scope and affect of their jobs; i.e., how many fires they have to battle, etc. as compared to a small town.
I said city employees ESPECIALLY Winchester, I also said Winchester's city employees make LESS than Lexington's city employees so yes that would make what I said true that gov employees make more than our local city employees RE READ my post, thank you! We are not talking about Lexington's city employees getting a pay raise we are talking about WINCHESTER who's city employees wages are not close to or equal to what Lexington & the state employees are making. Yes they deserve a raise, they are already being cheated in the amount of salary they are paid to begin with in comparison with other cities.
fallacy

Louisville, KY

#20 Jun 3, 2012
All government employees, across the board, no exceptions, should be held to the same standard. The city of Lexington is adhering to that and making city cuts alongside the state and federal. LOCALE sets pay rates, please re-read my post, thank you! Of course Winchester isn't going to pay the same as Lexington; nor is Lexington going to pay the same as Chicago.
At any time any employee in Winchester feels cheated by their salary, they can move 15 miles down the road and make more. They will also increase their city taxes and cost of living accordingly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min ChromiuMan 169,932
Washington st shoot out 22 min Trouble 237
Ruth King 9 hr junki3 3
Drug dealers at 15 A street 10 hr confirmedbuttblower 4
add word drop word (Sep '10) 10 hr -Sprocket- 250
old bowling alley 12 hr pepper 2
Concerned citizen 14 hr HAHA 2

Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Winchester Mortgages