What is a good ACT score

Posted in the Winchester Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
question about ACT

Winchester, KY

#1 May 26, 2009
What is a good ACT score for a high school student? My daughter has a 19. Is there anyone that tutors for the ACT locally? She is a straight A student but I think her ACT could really use some raising. Any suggestions? Thank you.
a student

Danville, KY

#2 May 27, 2009
check at the high school or one of the colleges, i know sullivan does a tutoring program, just check online at the actually act website.

and umm a 19 is ok maybe for a freshmen
most honors programs want a 28
a 24 is somewhat good.

and also take it as many times a possible.
seriously
take it know and get a 30, or pay for college.
Tutor

Winchester, KY

#3 May 27, 2009
I am college student and I tutor. I also got a 35 on my ACT so I know what to expect.

A 19 would get her into Morehead/EKU no problem. She'll need a 24 to get into UK (that is where i go) and with a 24 she won't be eligible for scholarships. She'll need atleast a 26 for that or maybe higher.

If you are interested in someone tutoring your daughter, let me know.

Thank you
CHiCa

AOL

#4 May 27, 2009
question about ACT wrote:
What is a good ACT score for a high school student? My daughter has a 19. Is there anyone that tutors for the ACT locally? She is a straight A student but I think her ACT could really use some raising. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Maybe there are some ACT prep classes available at her school? If she feels she could definitely do better, then I would have her sign up to take it a second time. They will consider the highest score out of the two anyway, I believe. Then she could prepare for it this time, with a few of the study courses. If her school doesn't offer them, I don't really know of anything here in town. Lexington offers some very good ones though. Especially Sullivan.

I scored a 25 on mine and when I received the results, it went on to say that I could get into the so called good colleges like UK and Transy, etc. Im not sure just how much has changed since I took it in 2000. Two friends in my class scored an 18 and a 13. The girl with the 18 got into Morehead (she chose between there and EKU) and the girl with the 13 ended up at EKU. Everyone worried she would have to go to a community college to get refreshed before college, but she ended up not having to.

Basically, if you and your daughter feel she can do better than a 19 definitely sign up to take it a second time. Especially since shes a straight A student. MY score of 25 surprised me, I was simply As and Bs only. Im sure she could do great!(Sorry to ramble!)
CHiCa

AOL

#5 May 27, 2009
question about ACT wrote:
Oh, and I dont know about the college thats here in Winchester but maybe they offer that?(So that you can avoid going to Lexington) Also, the answer above my first reply is a good one. A tutor is actually better, because the student gets better one on one attention and trust me, it helps.
idea

Winchester, KY

#6 May 27, 2009
maybe she was just having an off day, ya know? some people get flustered taking something that important. a 19 isn't bad considering nerves play a big part. don't worry, your daughter seems like she can and will do better.
Took the ACT eight times

United States

#7 May 28, 2009
Hey, I took the ACT from 7th grade up to senior year, and it really is more of a comprehension test. Two or three times will yield max results.
Here's a recommended list of study checks:

English: Go with what sounds right, as it usually is right. Remember "it's" is a contraction, unlike "its", which shows possession. It is the single exception to the rule, as most words with apostrophes show possession.

Math: Learn trigonometric identities, like sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1. She could be clueless when she sees these, as they'll often appear as fractions you have to simplify, like [1-sin^2(x)]/[1-cos^2(x)], which is really cos^2(x)/sin^2(x)= cot^2(x), but learning four or five of them will get you an extra five problems.

Reading and science were usually my two lowest scores, because I'm a slow reader. I've found it beneficial to read all the questions for a particular section first, then go back and read the passage, because you'll already know what to look for, which saves a lot of time.

As for her score, a 19 is somewhere in the 40-50 percentile range, which is below average. She could use four or five points to validate those good grades, but shouldn't have much trouble getting into most state schools.
MGz3

Gwynn Oak, MD

#8 May 28, 2009
I attended and graduated from Georgetown College. I was accepted with a 26 on my ACT. However, my younger brother got a 18 on his ACT and he was accepted into UK, Georgetown College, EKU, Morehead, WKU and several out of state schools.
know of them

Paris, KY

#9 May 28, 2009
Don't worry about just the ACT scores....schools now a days look at alot more than just a test score....they want well-rounded kids. They like kids with extra-curricular activites and good grades.
mathilda

Paris, KY

#10 May 28, 2009
I took my ACTs three times in 2002, got a 25, 27, and 34. I had a friend that kept taking her ACTs and couldn't get better than a 17. We both went to UK with scholarships. Last year, she graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree and now works for NASA.

So, if your daughter has the opportunity to take the ACT again, have her do it. Statistically, students' scores increase every time they take it. But she should also take the SAT. Some students perform better on it than the ACT.

And don't worry too much about the score. She can get into any state university with a 19. Scholarships look at test scores, grades, letters of recommendation and, most importantly, essays.
Question about ACT

Winchester, KY

#11 May 31, 2009
Thank you for all of your responses. It has definitely been a big help.

“"Now , Do You Under Stand "”

Since: Dec 08

E .Riffelcity

#12 May 31, 2009
a 25 is good...
wonderful

United States

#13 May 31, 2009
Tutor wrote:
I am college student and I tutor. I also got a 35 on my ACT so I know what to expect.
A 19 would get her into Morehead/EKU no problem. She'll need a 24 to get into UK (that is where i go) and with a 24 she won't be eligible for scholarships. She'll need atleast a 26 for that or maybe higher.
Thank you
to get into Morehead with a scholarship you need at least a 26
Jo Ann

Dahlonega, GA

#14 May 31, 2009
If you arent depending on a scholarship to go to college then you wont need a high ACT score to get into any college, they will all kindly take your money if you got it.
beenthere

Winchester, KY

#15 May 31, 2009
Also ACT scores "expire" after 3 years of the given score. If you wait, you will be given a placement test to see what level you are on for college courses. And money talks as far as where you want to go to school. A test score really is no thing if you can foot the bills.
no worries

Winchester, KY

#16 May 31, 2009
I took the ACT three times with scores of 19, 16, and then my highest at 21. At that point I had senioritis so bad I let it go lol. They really work it up to be more than it really is.

As far as college acceptance goes, I was accepted to every college I applied for (Morehead, EKU, Campbellsville, UK, etc.) except for Berea. I started at Campbellsville, transferred to EKU then graduated with a B.A. in English. I'm currently seeking donations for my MFA lol.

The ACT really isn't a predictor of how well she will do in college if that's what concerns you. I made it! She will too. Just tell her to watch out for that freshman year. They try to make you quit I think lol. It's mostly adjusting to college life that first year - the freedom factor. Yeah...fun times. Best of luck and happy college searching!
hithere

Flemingsburg, KY

#17 Jun 2, 2009
Orrrr
you could go to KCTCS, then after a year transfer to UK for the price of going to KCTCS.
I really wouldn't worry about the ACTs, nowhere in my career now did they ask me what i placed on my ACTs. Colleges only care about that if you don't have money.
I know his wife

Winchester, KY

#18 Jun 3, 2009
My brother had a 20 and is going to uk on a full ride. I dont know exactly what his scholarship required but I just thought that info my be helpful.
mike j

Livonia, MI

#19 Jun 24, 2009
yeah I scored a 19 and im going to be a senior my friend scored the same thing and the college accepted him cause he was in extracurricular activities and in sports. so pretty much retake the test but worry mainly about her extracurricular activities.
Mother

United States

#20 Jun 25, 2009
Tutor wrote:
Thank you
A 19 is an okay ACT score but you should really not say she will need more for UK. My daughter got a 19 three times and she is at UK and doing very well and guess what???? She is on scholarship and we have not had to pay one dime. So be careful of what you tell people. Things are not always black and white!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr love 169,039
Heroin in Winchester 14 hr codlick 6
Are Paul Pruitt and Rose Powell a couple? 15 hr Ruby 5
Freedom Otis-Richardson 16 hr Ruby 4
Beside Sam's Hot dog 20 hr confirmedbuttblower 5
Rib and nic 22 hr SayCheese 47
Holly Sun Chris 6

Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance