Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 163430 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82185 Jul 7, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree except I would add that you simply cannot research everything. If I don't know much about a particular field and I can't research it very much I will grant provisional trust in whatever ideas in the field are dominant. Subject to change with further understanding.
I know little about engine repair. I'm content letting my mechanic handle it. He has not violated the trust yet.
I agree with provisional trust in whatever technology in a field makes my car run better. I do not trust the technocrats about policy matters, and I do not trust scientists' prevailing views about the cosmos. I do not have to have any view about the cosmos, in order to live my life. I like to look at the stars. I need to know enough not to look at the sun straighton. I do not need to know whether Big Bang theory is true. I do not see why anyone has a need to know it, except for compelling curiosity and egomania, in whatever combination!

on policy matters, some of the experts may be bought out, and some may be out of date. I can use my own alternative to expertise, which is risk assessment, to question views that have consequences in the real world. If we do not know enough, and do thus and so, will it be more of a risk, or less of one, than if we do something different. That is my approach on global warming (man-influenced), chemical and biological and nuclear development and use and disposal, sustainable energy vs fossil fuels - and similar issues. I do not trust scientists paid by tobacco companies or Koch brothers.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82186 Jul 7, 2012
sam wrote:
i am not a cristion im sorry but i do not go to chrch
nothing to be sorry for, unless you do something even more harmful than going to church. may I suggest sleeping late on Sunday mornings as a harmless alternative? watching talking heads on Fox may or may not be worse than going to church. it would depend on the church.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#82187 Jul 7, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with provisional trust in whatever technology in a field makes my car run better. I do not trust the technocrats about policy matters, and I do not trust scientists' prevailing views about the cosmos. I do not have to have any view about the cosmos, in order to live my life. I like to look at the stars. I need to know enough not to look at the sun straighton. I do not need to know whether Big Bang theory is true. I do not see why anyone has a need to know it, except for compelling curiosity and egomania, in whatever combination!
on policy matters, some of the experts may be bought out, and some may be out of date. I can use my own alternative to expertise, which is risk assessment, to question views that have consequences in the real world. If we do not know enough, and do thus and so, will it be more of a risk, or less of one, than if we do something different. That is my approach on global warming (man-influenced), chemical and biological and nuclear development and use and disposal, sustainable energy vs fossil fuels - and similar issues. I do not trust scientists paid by tobacco companies or Koch brothers.
Much of that sounds good but in general it leaves out the concept of unintended consequences... Man Influenced Global Warming... Sounds good to take the view that If there is a chance it's a correct Theory and we take the drastic measures most Believers call for we could end up with millions of people dieing due to energy not being available when it's needed... I can take each and every new claimed alternative energy source and point to deadly and dangerous unintended consequences of each. Such as producing ethanol requiring 1.2Gal of gas and 400 gal of water to make each gal of Ethanol, Wind Mills causing damage to people due to low freq sound waves and killing millions of birds, electric cars producing more deadly pollutants into the environment that a regular gas powered vehicle of similar size.. and on and on...

As for those nasty cig's... Find me an answer to this one detail.. In the last 20 years the percentage of smokers has dropped around 60% nation wide... Why has there been almost Zero reduction in so called Smoking related disease? In some cases they have risen in new onsets... Death rates of those diseases have dropped due to improvement in treatment and advancing technology in early detection but the actual numbers of new cases remains about flat.... But as an unintended consequence 1000's of farmers lost their farms and 10's of 1000's of acres have gone to waste...

MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82188 Jul 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No mistakes... Manuscript 95% perfect, with only a few spelling errors...
Science books blew it when they said Dinos died out long before man... and then have the gall to say... they found a Living Fossil... yet cannot explain why dino tracks, and human track are in the SAME stratta, and pictorials of dinos in caves, AND lodges depicting how to kill a t-rex like critter...
No... They are wrong, and fools follow them!
Get to Know God... You'll be Glad you did!
A mustard seed vs. a grain of truth?
Ok..let me get this straight. The universe was created 6,000 years ago, plus or minus a week. God didn't spontaneously endow Adam and Able (Eve was not a suffragette, she was chattel) with the ability to jot down records, but accuracy was guaranteed, since the grapevine game wasn't invented until the tower of Babel. While not usually noted for being patient, God waited 2,000 years for heathens to come up with the fundamentals of writing, then another 2,500 years for the Jews to get around to starting on the Torah. But that isn't really as long as it seems because the average (Jew's) lifespan was hundreds of years.
Meanwhile, the Oltecs, the Xia, the Vedics and others were living large and chillin' with Lucifer - who knew that by the 18th century "know it all" atheists would be looking for ammo to hassle Christians, so being the evil joker, he planted fossils all over the world and forced a measurable portion of the population to turn gay. To go one better, he snuck demon agents into history - subversive imps like Archimedes, Pythogoras, Hippocrates, Newton, Copernicus, Galileo, Voltaire, Descartes, Darwin, Pasteur, Maxwell, Einstein, Hubble, Hawking....

And that about covers the basics..
Believer

Jamestown, KY

#82189 Jul 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Only to those that have a limited education or intellect.... When someone such as your fine self knows so little most people will seem all knowing....
Some are an expert in the field of fools.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#82190 Jul 7, 2012
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
And some, you for example, are a fool in a field of experts and too dumb to know when to sulk away as inadequate to the task at hand...
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82191 Jul 7, 2012
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Expertise is easy to achieve when the subjects are simple and abundant.
Local

Campbellsville, KY

#82192 Jul 7, 2012
trusted

Leitchfield, KY

#82193 Jul 7, 2012
Okay we set back and watch as we push God to the side. When we push the bible under the drawer instead of top of the dresser. We stop being nice to others, and we stop caring for those in need. We take all that can be given and never give in return. We forgot how there is beauty in everyone and everything , it just depends on how it is shown in the end. Then just then when the end is near, we began to wonder , if he was there and will he be again? We begin to have faith that he will lead us home on a pieceful journey. Now they say we go back to children as we get older and see life like before , if that is so why wait , can we all not become children again and love and live for each other and grow old doing the same?

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82194 Jul 7, 2012
How similar are chimps and humans in genetic makeup?

When we finished the chimpanzee genome in 2005 and lined it up next to the human genome, we made the amazing discovery that our DNA is almost 99 percent identical. That seems like a bit of a paradox given all the differences we see between ourselves and chimps. But, in fact, it's not a paradox, because all it takes to make a new species, all it takes to make a human, is a few changes in just the right places.

How did you begin to hone in on those "right places"?

Given that our DNA sequence has about three billion "letters" in it, one percent is still a pretty vast territory to search. There are about 15 million human-specific letters that have changed in the last six million years, since humans and chimps had a common ancestor.

And what did you find when you ran your programs?

After months of programming and debugging and running my computer code on a massive computer cluster, I finally had some results. The top hit was a sequence that was 118 letters long. And, amazingly, 18 out of those letters were different between human and chimp.

Difference between chicken and chimp genome?

To put that in perspective, the same sequence is in the chicken genome and has only two differences between chimp and chicken.

There have been hundreds of millions of years of evolution separating chicken and chimp, and yet we only see two changes. Whereas in six million years, a blink of the eye in evolution's time, we see 18 changes in this stretch of the human genome.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/dna-hu...
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82195 Jul 7, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> another nice sensible comment from you. did I forget to tell you I am glad you are posting on this thread? if so, consider yourself welcomed!
Thank you, and likewise. Credit where credit is due, while I'm many decades gone from Leon, I try not to stray far from the familial common sense.
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82196 Jul 7, 2012
trusted wrote:
Okay we set back and watch as we push God to the side. When we push the bible under the drawer instead of top of the dresser. We stop being nice to others, and we stop caring for those in need. We take all that can be given and never give in return. We forgot how there is beauty in everyone and everything , it just depends on how it is shown in the end. Then just then when the end is near, we began to wonder , if he was there and will he be again? We begin to have faith that he will lead us home on a pieceful journey. Now they say we go back to children as we get older and see life like before , if that is so why wait , can we all not become children again and love and live for each other and grow old doing the same?
Your sentiments are admirable, but reality intrudes. Violence on television, in music, in peer groups, selfishness, 2 income families, detachment from empathy, glorification of ignorance, so much else... there is no Sunny Brook Farm. To repair the ills of society is... "How many shrinks does it take to change a light bulb? Just one - but the light bulb has to want to change."
Faith in the Bible does not necessitate being nice. Certainly it wasn't the case during the witch hunts, the Inquisition, the Crusades.... Even today, with a kinder, gentler Christianity there is abundant bigotry. The Civil Rights movement was within my lifetime, yet we still have hatred preached from the pulpits. When you browse message boards on different subjects, you find religious right-wingers saying appalling things about individuals and groups of people. Each person has their own journey, and while some wish that theirs might be peaceful, others prefer that it should be confrontive.
I would not presume to stand between a soul and their God, yet neither will I kneel before fanaticism and dogma.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#82197 Jul 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, So many spend so much time reading a single book and refuse to even attempt to learn what is known and available to be known then get all uppity when they actually go out in public and talk to others that actually enjoy learning. They think calling someone a Know It All is an insult, It's a compliment,,, It just means they agree that you know more than them.... What they would love is for those that have a bit of a knowledge base to be humble and pretend to not know what they know so they don't have to face their limited knowledge base...
I had one guy reply and just went off on me after I posted my postulate in one of the science threads and told me no back holler hillbilly wrote it, The he called me a Plagiarist and posted 4 or 5 links to sites where parts of the postulate appeared... I never heard from him after I pointed out that ever link he supplied was to other sites I had discussed it on over the years and all the links were to my writings...
Knowledge, can kill any mythical god, that's why TrueBelievers† hate it.

“There is no god.”

USA

#82198 Jul 7, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with that. isn't it easy? I do not understand why anyone bothers to claim there is no god, when it can be easily shown that any alleged proof of any alleged god is faulty. That is good enough. We can take them one by one and say they are silly or ridiculous or evil, or stolen from other cultures, or other such value judgments or historical citations, as well. We do not need to claim there is no God. If a nice one comes along we can deal with it - "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" is a phrase often used when one expects to encounter no bridges at all.
I am atheist, prove a god exists, till that time, no evidence to support a god, means no god.
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82200 Jul 7, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>I am atheist, prove a god exists, till that time, no evidence to support a god, means no god.
I am not tone deaf. Prove rap is music, till that time, no evidence to support that it is, means it is not.

“There is no god.”

USA

#82201 Jul 7, 2012
MirrorMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not tone deaf. Prove rap is music, till that time, no evidence to support that it is, means it is not.
Not a fan of rap or mythical beings, well, maybe thor a little bit.

“There is no god.”

USA

#82202 Jul 7, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
How similar are chimps and humans in genetic makeup?
When we finished the chimpanzee genome in 2005 and lined it up next to the human genome, we made the amazing discovery that our DNA is almost 99 percent identical. That seems like a bit of a paradox given all the differences we see between ourselves and chimps. But, in fact, it's not a paradox, because all it takes to make a new species, all it takes to make a human, is a few changes in just the right places.
How did you begin to hone in on those "right places"?
Given that our DNA sequence has about three billion "letters" in it, one percent is still a pretty vast territory to search. There are about 15 million human-specific letters that have changed in the last six million years, since humans and chimps had a common ancestor.
And what did you find when you ran your programs?
After months of programming and debugging and running my computer code on a massive computer cluster, I finally had some results. The top hit was a sequence that was 118 letters long. And, amazingly, 18 out of those letters were different between human and chimp.
Difference between chicken and chimp genome?
To put that in perspective, the same sequence is in the chicken genome and has only two differences between chimp and chicken.
There have been hundreds of millions of years of evolution separating chicken and chimp, and yet we only see two changes. Whereas in six million years, a blink of the eye in evolution's time, we see 18 changes in this stretch of the human genome.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/dna-hu...
Hi ss, how similar are pigs and humans.

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82203 Jul 7, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Hi ss, how similar are pigs and humans.
Hi LOL, glad you ask. Lots of imformation about that subject.

The Next Pig You Eat Could Be a Cousin.

http://open.salon.com/blog/james_poyner/2009/...

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82204 Jul 7, 2012
Muslim Congressman: U.S. Schools Should Be Modeled After Madrassas.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/0...

“There is no god.”

USA

#82205 Jul 7, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi LOL, glad you ask. Lots of imformation about that subject.
The Next Pig You Eat Could Be a Cousin.
http://open.salon.com/blog/james_poyner/2009/...
Lol, nice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheryl marshall zumba at college park 12 min Nunya 1
Breezy Wingate (Aug '16) 5 hr BreezyMom 3
Chase ross 5 hr Tonto 20
Rib 7 hr True 6
clark co cps help!!! (Feb '12) 7 hr Dominique 73
The Southwood thread (Aug '09) 7 hr Police officer 104
96 truck stop. 11 hr Will 14

Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance