Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149858 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#79766 Jun 4, 2012
trusted wrote:
<quoted text>What I meant is that I dont have to question the reason , but some do. I dont have to know the reason , I just chose to have faith in it.
Ok.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#79767 Jun 4, 2012
The bible should be taught in school. If a private company wanted it to be that way and sold people an educational package to parents that wanted that for their children.

And on the same street is someone wanted to go to a Buddhist private school they should have the same rights to choose that for their children.

The idea that bothers me is that the government should be providing education for our children. The education would be better if it was run by individual companies that had to compete for students. Stop taxing people on things that the federal government not only has no real right in dictating but does a poor job implementing publicly.

Until the system is changed people should stick to homeschooling. Which parents are federally penalized for by paying extra fees currently and still required to provide taxes for the public school system. Why should someone pay more to be responsible and put less burden on the public system is beyond my comprehension.
trusted

Leitchfield, KY

#79768 Jun 4, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Apple responded beautifully to that question.
But if you want to know what makes ME personally glad to be alive, I would say simply Being Aware.
This fragile existance of ours is incredibly short. So much to learn, experience and do!
What a wonder to be a part of something so grand and complex as the Universe, even for a moment.
Some would say it's not a perfect world but that is neither here nor there.
It is what it is. So appreciate the chance to participate.
If you don't like your life, change it....or if that is not possible, change the way you feel about it. Find the joy in it; it's there somewhere.
<quoted text>
Why not for you? Do you LIKE being a martyr?
You deserve happiness as much as anyone else, I don't care what your religion tells you.
This is the best suggestion for living a fulfilling life that I have ever see. It's called the Desiderata.
“Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love – for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment is it perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you from misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.”
&#8213; Max Ehrmann, Desiderata: A Poem for a Way of Life
Okay that is what I was hoping for as a answer, See we are all more alike than you think. Although , I may think the same way about all of this , I chose to think God for it.
RsKy

Jamestown, KY

#79769 Jun 4, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no God and the Bible is wrong.
How does Israel and the Jews prove the entire bible?
Bible Prophecy.

“There is no god.”

USA

#79770 Jun 4, 2012
DjinnSin wrote:
The bible should be taught in school. If a private company wanted it to be that way and sold people an educational package to parents that wanted that for their children.
And on the same street is someone wanted to go to a Buddhist private school they should have the same rights to choose that for their children.
The idea that bothers me is that the government should be providing education for our children. The education would be better if it was run by individual companies that had to compete for students. Stop taxing people on things that the federal government not only has no real right in dictating but does a poor job implementing publicly.
Until the system is changed people should stick to homeschooling. Which parents are federally penalized for by paying extra fees currently and still required to provide taxes for the public school system. Why should someone pay more to be responsible and put less burden on the public system is beyond my comprehension.
Any educational guidelines for the private companies or is it an all out bible thumping, praise the lord and pass the plate, kind of education.

“There is no god.”

USA

#79771 Jun 4, 2012
RsKy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bible Prophecy.
What prophecy?

“There is no god.”

USA

#79772 Jun 4, 2012
juggalo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's great that you can be so content ...some of us on the other hand like to search for answers instead of just blindly accepting what we are being told by people who are un trustworthy in the first place
Yep. Didn't you make an account? No big deal just thought you did.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#79773 Jun 4, 2012
trusted wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe I do have miserable moments in my life, but I try to make it a better one for those I love ,not for me.
"Not for me?" I'll ask again.
Don't you think YOU have a right to be happy, just YOU with no one else considered?
I don't mean at someone else's expense. I mean having your own joy.

"Not for me, but for others" is a martyr's attitude.
It says "I'm just not worthy of love or having happiness. I'll get my reward for such sacrifices in heaven."

“There is no god.”

USA

#79774 Jun 4, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
"Not for me?" I'll ask again.
Don't you think YOU have a right to be happy, just YOU with no one else considered?
I don't mean at someone else's expense. I mean having your own joy.
"Not for me, but for others" is a martyr's attitude.
It says "I'm just not worthy of love or having happiness. I'll get my reward for such sacrifices in heaven."
And it could say DumbA**.
trusted

Leitchfield, KY

#79775 Jun 4, 2012
I guess you might be correct. I have had the joy of loving in many ways, but I also know what sadness can come from making only yourself happy. We dont always get what the heart wants.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#79776 Jun 4, 2012
trusted wrote:
I guess you might be correct. I have had the joy of loving in many ways, but I also know what sadness can come from making only yourself happy. We dont always get what the heart wants.
The Heart pumps blood... Nothing More...
Ted

Smartt, TN

#79777 Jun 4, 2012
Republicans are hyprocrites.

Ayn Rand was definitely a piece of Cow Dung, on that we agree.
The philosophy and teachings of Ayn Rand are inextricably interwoven in the Republican Tea Party ideas. YOU, nor anyone else can separate Ayn Rand from the Republican Tea Party.
Ayn Rand's teachings and the teachings of Jesus Christ can NOT be reconciled.

You can NOT be a follower of Ayn Rand and a follower of Jesus Christ at the same time. That is like saying you embrace Satan and Jesus. Maybe a cartoon characterization will help you.
----------

Search; Tea Party Jesus: Sermon on the Mall
teapartyjesus.org/
----------

Search; Grover Norquist-Ayn Rand
----------

Search; American Values Network, Ayn Rand VS Jesus
----------

Search; Christians Must Choose Ayn Rand or Jesus
----------

You can NOT be a Christian and despise the poor.-
----------

You can Not be a Christian and idolize Greed and Selfishness.
----------

Jesus Christ would support National Health Care for ALL, NOT "For Profit" Health Care for those who can afford it.

“Memento mori”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#79778 Jun 4, 2012
trusted wrote:
If you put yourself before others 100% of the time and do nothing to benefit anyone at any point, then I could understand you feeling bad about doing so if you were a person who felt compassion.

I don't think anyone is saying only focus on yourself, more that you should not focus on only making others happy, because you won't find happiness that way either.

If I had a billion dollars I would spend a large portion on helping other people, but you best believe that I would use a portion of it for myself and fund a project to convert Virginia to an arctic state (go to Hell heat, humidity, skin cancer, argiopes, wasps and adders).

“There is no god.”

USA

#79779 Jun 4, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put yourself before others 100% of the time and do nothing to benefit anyone at any point, then I could understand you feeling bad about doing so if you were a person who felt compassion.
I don't think anyone is saying only focus on yourself, more that you should not focus on only making others happy, because you won't find happiness that way either.
If I had a billion dollars I would spend a large portion on helping other people, but you best believe that I would use a portion of it for myself and fund a project to convert Virginia to an arctic state (go to Hell heat, humidity, skin cancer, argiopes, wasps and adders).
I will give you my number, just in case you get that billion.
juggalo

United States

#79780 Jun 4, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Didn't you make an account? No big deal just thought you did.
Haha yeah .....actually I did , its just easier for me to post like this on my phone ( don't have to sign in )

“There is no god.”

USA

#79781 Jun 4, 2012
Fair, some good info, some bull.

&fe ature=fvwrel

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79782 Jun 4, 2012
The bible should be taught at home and at church and Sunday School.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#79783 Jun 4, 2012
I have no problem with the bible being taught as an elective in an historical, literature, and artistic way.
Yes and Amen

Hazard, KY

#79784 Jun 5, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not! It's only when it's something that you don't like. Or in some cases, something you do like but pretend you hate (homosexuality).
<quoted text>
People have also posted links showing why that's wrong. You cannot "cure" homosexuality. You can force people to repress it which is damaging mentally and makes them more likely to kill themselves.
Even if it were possible, no one has the right to change a person's sexual orientation. I'm sure that if there were a way to turn everyone gay (which is something the USAF discussed), you wouldn't be happy about that. Just deal with the fact that not everyone is the same as you.
<quoted text>
I do mean that. If there is a god, and it is the one in the bible, we are all screwed. He is vile, hateful, sadistic, evil and infantile. His rules are nonsensical, and he deserves no one's praise. If your religion is true, I would sooner accept eternal damnation than eternally praising an immoral god.
<quoted text>
Okay? I guess I'll...sacrifice a goat for you?
<quoted text>
I like the parts where you tell everyone who has different views from you that they may be wrong but you're the only one who's right. Comedy gold.
And every time you say that you've walked the same road we have or that you used to be against God, I can't help but feel that you're lying. I feel like it's a cheap trick to make us identify with you and share your misguided views.
The fact is, no matter how much you pray, no matter what anyone does or says, I'm never going to believe the same things as you.
Whatever you want to believe!
I am not Muslim... We Christian try Not to lie for our God!
"Comedy Gold".... That is you my friend...
Please don't light that match!
"Don't tell me what to do!"..... Sad!
Yes and Amen

Hazard, KY

#79785 Jun 5, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof positive that you don't have a working knowledge of the real world.
You just make it all up as you go along, don't you?
The funny thing (or sad thing) is that once you have made it up, you then believe it.
Hahahahh!
Whatever you want to believe!
65?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terell warner 2 hr Tyrone 3
martha (Jun '15) 5 hr dayum 32
drugs 7 hr local 3
Tonya Caudill (Aug '15) 9 hr Robin 6
Breast Augmentation 14 hr Nicole 1
Jamie S 14 hr The Truth 24
make love 14 hr The Truth 4

Winchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance