The Winchester Sun.....poor news coverage!!!!!

Posted in the Winchester Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
LikesNewspapers

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

I may be a bit old fashioned I guess......but I still enjoy getting the morning newspaper and reading it but I have just had to quit picking up our " local" newspaper.....I use the word local with jest as there is no local control over our small newspaper, it is ran out of Danville I believe and is not owned locally.......but I can live with it not being locally owned, but the truth is our newspaper is just terrible at printing the news and having a local flare that makes it interesting to read. It seems more like some Middle School newspaper with silly stories and poor reporting........AND WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO GET THE NEWS????? I mean things that happen on a friday get printed on Moonday or Tuesday, and things that happen on a Saturday may get in by Tuesday or Wednesday.....is it still really news by then......how about printing at night and having some actual curent news in our paper??

I guess the Winchester Sun still exists not for the sake of people wanting their news, but for those who have to at least have somewhere to read obituaries, arrest records and divorce and real estate records.
WILLIAM JACK ROBERTS

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

they did not follow up on the drug bust outcome last year that took place outside of Applebee's when Micheal Shepperd was arrested in what was declared as the largest drug bust in Winchester's history.

What happened in court with this man , SUN.
WILLIAM JACK ROBERTS

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

WE the people of Winchester have a right to know the outcome of a person arrested and the disposition of the courts concerning the defendant.

This is in regards to the man arrested just a short time before the triple murder on Pine Ridge Road LAST YEAR. LAST YEAR. LAST YEAR.
Henry Jarvis Raymond

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

The Winchester Sun exists to report the news, sports, human interest stories, police and fire reports, community gatherings, advertisements, and "what happened 25 yrs ago" that the Lexington Herald Leader isn't interested in. I mean do you think that the Herald Leader would send a photographer over here to take a picture of local interest like the award winning James Mann does?
The only alternative to get the local news is to read and believe everything on Topix. I think you should choose the Sun. Except for the occasional misspelling of words, they are OK and we are lucky to have a local paper. Hope I can say that in 5 years as there is tremendous financial pressure on all newspapers, the Sun included.
A newsman know another

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Henry Jarvis Raymond wrote:
The Winchester Sun exists to report the news, sports, human interest stories, police and fire reports, community gatherings, advertisements, and "what happened 25 yrs ago" that the Lexington Herald Leader isn't interested in. I mean do you think that the Herald Leader would send a photographer over here to take a picture of local interest like the award winning James Mann does?
The only alternative to get the local news is to read and believe everything on Topix. I think you should choose the Sun. Except for the occasional misspelling of words, they are OK and we are lucky to have a local paper. Hope I can say that in 5 years as there is tremendous financial pressure on all newspapers, the Sun included.
I can tell that you are associated with newspapers somehow and I do not mean as a subscriber.
Good for fire starter

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Winchester Sun is about useless! Why are the "news" stories so boring? Any paper that highlights the Little League Round Up needs to be shutdown. Isn't there someone making decisions on what is printed or do they just take waht they can get. And it's so obvious Clark County Public Schools has the Sun in their back pocket! Some many incidents that could be reported are somehow over looked due to the negativity it might bring CCPS. God forbid they be held publicly accountable for their actions. And don't try a letter to the editor. I've sent at least a dozen this year, supported by data, and yet to see one. I will agree James Mann is very dedicated and deserves praise!
Henry Jarvis Raymond

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

No newsman I am not but I do understand the role of the local paper. To all you folks that are complaining about it, don't buy it! That will teach the Sun. Then they will not be in business and you will have to find something else to complain about. Simple as that. Or another tack might be to hitch up your pants, go in and talk to the editor to explain your misery. But that would take intestinal fortitude and would violate your being anonymous, which I think you could not stomach. Just a thought.
former customer

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

The Winchester Sun aka The Daily Disappointment!! I used to subscribe but the last increase in the subscription rate was the final straw. A lot of people cancelled when they started charging for obituaries, you get a small one day free the other days you pay. I know of a lot of subscriptions cancelled for that reason only. My mom still gets it and complains it is not good, but says she will stay with them for the time being. I take just a few minutes to look at it over at her house and realize I'm not missing anything. Ever notice how many free papers they are giving out now trying to lure people back in. They will need to make a big change before I'll ever subscribe again.
lol

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2011

Judged:

Look who works for them...theres a reason it so poorly executed..
akajimmy

Theresa, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

Judged:

They only write about what they want to put because they cater to people who think they have some kind of authority around here. There's been plenty of embarrassing mishaps by local authorites and members of so called prominent families that never get published.
JAcKstrAw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

WILLIAM JACK ROBERTS wrote:
WE the people of Winchester have a right to know the outcome of a person arrested and the disposition of the courts concerning the defendant.
This is in regards to the man arrested just a short time before the triple murder on Pine Ridge Road LAST YEAR. LAST YEAR. LAST YEAR.
MAn u ShoulD. be William jack a** RobertS u f. N iDiot
Winchester

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

akajimmy wrote:
They only write about what they want to put because they cater to people who think they have some kind of authority around here. There's been plenty of embarrassing mishaps by local authorites and members of so called prominent families that never get published.
If you ever have story ideas or hear of any of these mishaps, you can contact the Sun to tell them about it: http://www.centralkynews.com/winchestersun/ab... . Sometimes being in the newsroom, they don't know about everything going on around town, so outside ears could help.
Agreeing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

Judged:

The Red Shoe Report is a waste of space. A personal column about a young woman, not from Winchester. The stories she tells are not about Winchester in anyway. Many woman I have spoken to feel the same.

The Sun would get better news leads from Topix or Facebook "GRCHS & KY" group. Read what people are interested in on the spot!
ZONK

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

WJR, go to the courthouse and file an open court record on the Michael Shepherd case, they have to let you see it.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

ZONK wrote:
WJR, go to the courthouse and file an open court record on the Michael Shepherd case, they have to let you see it.
It's a good idea. Will you do it?
LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Look where Zonk is from? Is that Allen trying to be informative for once?
Subscriber

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2012

I agree about it being a waste of $, yet I subscribe as of now.

The majority of the articles.....especially the page where the women write their daily diaries is not of interest to me. Who cares?
WOW

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2012

It seems there are plenty who have complaints but no suggestions.
Suggestion,tell them what you want in the paper. Articles about anything local are because this is a local paper MAKE SENSE???? The paper and its staff can only report what they know about, if there are things going on in the community that you think everyone should know then send it to the editor. Not one paper in any community is going to have what everyone wants however if you see something you would like make it known. SIMPLE. Usually people who have complaints and no suggestions are simply closed minded and self serving.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Winchester Forum right now

Search the Winchester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is this a real woman? 7 min HoneyBear1 2
Goodmorning Miss Font 10 min ELMER 174
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Limbertwig 138,452
Which? 18 min ELMER 23
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min curious 122,602
Judy Caywood 35 min not nice 7
who is the dark haired guy with beard at iga 1 hr Charlotte 34
Calvary Christian Church Pastor Affair Mon Shame 65
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winchester Jobs

•••
•••