Wilton speaks regarding police officer who was put on unpaid ad...

WILTON, Iowa The local police department was defended by some local residents and criticized by others during heated public comment at Monday's Wilton City Council meeting. Full Story
Justin Warren

Galena, IL

#1 Mar 28, 2006
I want to publicly thank the Wilton residents that openly voiced their opinions to the council that they want John and myself back to clean up this department. When we worked there before this type of abuse of police authority didn't occur. This isn't the first time that the occused officer used excessive force, even one of his court cases got dismissed when the judge saw where the defendant was shot with a Taser. It was under his armpit, the judge and state investigators said that exact location could have only be hit if his arms were up, as if he was surrendering. There are others but I don't know how much space is aloted here.
Todd Steely

Youngtown, AZ

#2 Mar 29, 2006
Justin,

From reading your post and other articles you are starting to paint a picture of the personality of the Officer. I would like to read more. Thanks!

"There is always two sides of a story"

Todd Steely
Phoenix, AZ
Matt Conrad

Wilton, IA

#3 Mar 30, 2006
Hey justin I have been trying to get ahold of you regarding some issues if you could email me at mconrad@netins.net.
Thanks
none of your business

Davenport, IA

#4 Apr 3, 2006
i for the last year and a half, haved worked with officer Jansen by his side, he is one of the best officers that i know. i love how people who are not academy certified run off at the mouth. i am an officer in Muscatine county. what Officer Jansen put up with that night, was way too much. in any other city, those three guys would have been put on the ground, after disobeying a lawful order once. Officer Jansen gave them more than enough warnings. And for the mayor saying he is the number one police officer in the city, he is WRONG. the Sheriff, Greg Orr, is the number one officer in the county, i believe the city of wilton is in Muscatine county. people need not to forget county can take over any city investigation in the county. i also agree John Sperstad should be Chief of Police. I also know Mr. Sperstad is behind the officer. i also agree, Scott Layne, is the source of the problem, but also the Mayor. City council members and the mayor, think they're ABOVE THE LAW, too bad they are NOT. i just hope i catch the mayor driving drunk, which shouldn't be too hard and people are idiots to allow their elected officials to try to run the police dept.
Justin Warren

Galena, IL

#5 Apr 4, 2006
John is really behind the officer? When I talked to him on the phone March 27th his was glad to see those two go. As for the county I have nothing but respect for the Deputies but isn't it true the S.O. won't get involved in another departments business unless they're asked? I don't recall any of them ever try to pull jurisdiction over us while I was there, has something happened recently that has changed that? The deputies always said that they stay out of the towns as much as possible since the have so much area to cover. Some of them are still friends even though I don't get to see them on a regular basis.

What's your badge number since you claim to be an officer in Muscatine County or at least your academy class. From one certified officer to another(?) come forward with who you are. I could easily have posted under someone else's name but that's being chicken s###.
free advice

Elkader, IA

#6 Apr 4, 2006
check out the IA Code and the IA Constitution re chief LE officers. The chief LE officer of the county is the county attorney, followed by the sheriff. The county has no right to conduct investigations in the city unless it is at the request of the city. (see home rule provisions)
Justin Warren

United States

#7 Apr 5, 2006
None of your business,
At least we both agree that Scott is the problem. Things were great in that department until he got hired and then it went to hell in a handbasket. John would also still be working there if it wasn't for him and yes John did the shaft. Forcing him to sign a BS reprimand or resign because of some false complaint.
none of your business

Davenport, IA

#8 Apr 5, 2006
i agree john was forced to leave,and that bs.we need all the old officers back to wilton.
tanya brooks corning iowa

Sumner, IA

#9 Jun 21, 2006
just looking for a matt bowers.... any help would be great.... please e mail me at brooks_tanya@hotmail.com
Mike

Muscatine, IA

#10 Jun 26, 2006
tanya brooks corning iowa wrote:
just looking for a matt bowers.... any help would be great.... please e mail me at brooks_tanya@hotmail.com
He works at the Muscatine Police Department
tanya gray corning iowa

Sumner, IA

#11 Jun 28, 2006
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
He works at the Muscatine Police Department
I found him,well I should say that he found me with your help.... thanks....Tanya
Hmmmmmmm

Schaumburg, IL

#13 Jul 6, 2006
test
D NMN H

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jul 9, 2006
I am a police officer from the Twin Cities. This type of police conduct happens all the time, but it doesn't make it right. Folks should wait and see what happens after the investigation is complete. It sounds like the mayor has sort of a power issue with the PD. - Small town politics..
Mike P

Riverside, IA

#15 Jul 10, 2006
It seems to me that there is an at-odds issue with elected officials and law enforcement. From an outsiders standpoint, I can see both sides of the story, no officer is above the law, and my opinion, as little as it may be, Officer Jansen conducted himself in a professional manner within his limits. However, One of the issues with small town law enforcement is that everyone knows everyones business. Its all too easy to tell ones side of the sotry and misconstrue it so that it looks good on their end, when all of the facts are not presented. I do not however, agree that the mayor, nor the city council has any right to openly criticize any other officials, be it law enforcement or other. This is a matter that should have been handled internally, IMHO.. I know open meetings laws prohibit some facets of a "behind closed doors" resolution, but something like this is they type of thing that has, and apparently is, dividing a town that should be working together for the common good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How can I live off the grid. Planning on cuttin... (Sep '13) Mar '14 Benji Franklyne 6
Lost dog (Nov '12) Nov '12 Heather Gers-Logan 2
Alan Meyer Roof Tile Manufacturer (May '12) May '12 Mike Avers 1
Wilton braces for Gerdau-Ameristeel layoffs (Jun '10) Apr '12 justme 3
Wilton promotes sergeant to police chief (May '06) Apr '12 Inside Man 9
Wilton police chief resigns (Mar '06) Sep '11 Inside Man 65
Looking for a friend (Jun '06) Sep '11 Inside Man 2
Wilton Dating
Find my Match

Wilton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wilton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wilton