Town of Wilson in shock after suicide...

Town of Wilson in shock after suicide and murder

There are 11 comments on the WIVB-TV Buffalo story from Jul 30, 2008, titled Town of Wilson in shock after suicide and murder. In it, WIVB-TV Buffalo reports that:

Violence has left a small Niagara County community in shock. Sheriff deputies say a young man, who just graduated from high school, murdered his girlfriend before taking his own life.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB-TV Buffalo.

concerned mom

Auburn, ME

#1 Aug 1, 2008
I worked with both of these young people, although briefly. Kari was a bright energetic young woman on the cusp of her future. It saddens me as a parent to think of the heartbreak her family must feel. I feel as though someone should have noticed something amiss with this young man and helped him with therapy, medication. It's a shame how everyone mentions how troubled the relationship was, and how Shawn was troubled, after this tradegy has occurred. Maybe, this will make people think about helping someone with depression, mental illness, before another tragedy such as this happens.

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#2 Aug 2, 2008
concerned mom wrote:
I worked with both of these young people, although briefly. Kari was a bright energetic young woman on the cusp of her future. It saddens me as a parent to think of the heartbreak her family must feel. I feel as though someone should have noticed something amiss with this young man and helped him with therapy, medication. It's a shame how everyone mentions how troubled the relationship was, and how Shawn was troubled, after this tradegy has occurred. Maybe, this will make people think about helping someone with depression, mental illness, before another tragedy such as this happens.
I think sometimes we are to close with our children to See how they are really feeling . I truly do Not believe S.W.s Mom knew how troubled he was..Because she would have found him the help he needed .
Just my humble opinion
Learn the Truth

Buffalo, NY

#3 Aug 2, 2008
Wilson Mom - it seems you were close with both families, and I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss. This is a horrible tragedy and while we absolutely have our differences on other subjects, know that at least the community is not divided here. All hearts break for both families.

AOL

#5 Aug 2, 2008
Learn the Truth wrote:
Wilson Mom - it seems you were close with both families, and I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss. This is a horrible tragedy and while we absolutely have our differences on other subjects, know that at least the community is not divided here. All hearts break for both families.
Learn the Truth ,
Thank You so much for your words. Our family goes back a long time with both the Gorman and Wolf familys . Having known those 2 kids since birth . My heart is breaking for both familys . And as a parent I can't imagine how they feel.
And yes our community is standing togeather on this Thank God ! But they do know "WE all Care for both familys !"
Janelle

Buffalo, NY

#6 Aug 6, 2008
No one should speculate what or how his family should have "helped him with therapy, medication". You have no idea what his family was doing to help him. You do not know what someone deals with everyday and unless you are inside their home you have no way or right to judge what it is they should have or shouldn't of did. The focus should be on how to prevent things like that from happening again to other families and how to help his family cope. The focus shouldn't be casting stones. When you are dealing with a suicide, you need support not judgment.

AOL

#7 Aug 6, 2008
Janelle wrote:
No one should speculate what or how his family should have "helped him with therapy, medication". You have no idea what his family was doing to help him. You do not know what someone deals with everyday and unless you are inside their home you have no way or right to judge what it is they should have or shouldn't of did. The focus should be on how to prevent things like that from happening again to other families and how to help his family cope. The focus shouldn't be casting stones. When you are dealing with a suicide, you need support not judgment.
Janelle,
No one is throwing rocks at ANYONE ! We are not judging anyone on either form. My heart breaks for BOTH MOTHERS... and I pray for all the familys (aunts uncles grandmas ect), the recent 08 grads,the friends ect...
So please do not think we are judging anyone.
try to have a nice day
Janelle

Buffalo, NY

#8 Aug 6, 2008
I was just refrring to the first comment where it said

"I feel as though someone should have noticed something amiss with this young man and helped him with therapy, medication. It's a shame how everyone mentions how troubled the relationship was, and how Shawn was troubled, after this tradegy has occurred. Maybe, this will make people think about helping someone with depression, mental illness, before another tragedy such as this happens."

No one knows what Shawns loved ones were doing or how they were helping him or what they noticed. Suicide is a horrific thing to deal with let alone in this situation. Shawn has a wonderful loving family- his mother and his sisters are amazing people...please keep them all in your prayers. My thoughts are prayer are with both families and their friends....
old Turtle

AOL

#9 Aug 6, 2008
I think almost all relationships with teens seem troubled at one time or another. It is a crazy time when you are eighteen, nineteen, leaving home, going to college, or not going to college and confused about who you are and what you are doing with you life.
It is easy to over-react, as well as under-react to your teens.
Wilson Mom....Your love for children, your fellow town folk I have admired from all your posts, you are an advocate for all ages. Keep on posting, your doing your town and the world a favor.
old Turtle

AOL

#10 Aug 6, 2008
And please consider running for school board!:)

AOL

#11 Aug 6, 2008
Janelle wrote:
I was just refrring to the first comment where it said
"I feel as though someone should have noticed something amiss with this young man and helped him with therapy, medication. It's a shame how everyone mentions how troubled the relationship was, and how Shawn was troubled, after this tradegy has occurred. Maybe, this will make people think about helping someone with depression, mental illness, before another tragedy such as this happens."
No one knows what Shawns loved ones were doing or how they were helping him or what they noticed. Suicide is a horrific thing to deal with let alone in this situation. Shawn has a wonderful loving family- his mother and his sisters are amazing people...please keep them all in your prayers. My thoughts are prayer are with both families and their friends....
Janelle ,
I am sorry, didn't look at first post when I anwsered you . Yes, you are right Shawn has a very loving family . And I know that 1st hand as I know both the family's. And now they need to help each other try to heal.
And Janelle I am truly sorry that you also lost your friends .This shouldn't have happened to anyone...

AOL

#12 Aug 6, 2008
old Turtle wrote:
I think almost all relationships with teens seem troubled at one time or another. It is a crazy time when you are eighteen, nineteen, leaving home, going to college, or not going to college and confused about who you are and what you are doing with you life.
It is easy to over-react, as well as under-react to your teens.
Wilson Mom....Your love for children, your fellow town folk I have admired from all your posts, you are an advocate for all ages. Keep on posting, your doing your town and the world a favor.
Thank You Old Turtle for your kind words .But I am sure there will be some people whom do not agree with your thought's nor my posts. But that is what make's this Country what it is today. I have the right to say my mind .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lockport, NY. A good place to live? (Sep '07) Aug 8 Frank L 16
shannondoah farms (Aug '10) Jul '17 Tragic Indeed 122
News 75 years after Midway, US Navy hero honored in ... Jun '17 anonymous 1
News Latest News: Flood recovery for Lake Ontario, M... May '17 lookin 4 JustUs 1
Banks at Niagara University May '17 Niagara University 1
News HEALTH: Man bitten by coyote on Sweeney Street ... (Apr '09) May '17 frilled2b 49
News Canadian man pleads guilty to attempting to imp... Apr '17 whats-the-point-o... 1

Wilson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilson Mortgages