Plea deal possible in Wilson High School hazing case

Full story: WIVB Buffalo 135
Defense attorney Andrew Vona confirmed this afternoon that he received a letter from the Niagara County District Attorney outlining a plea offer in a high profile alleged hazing case. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
MEthatsall

United States

#1 Jul 26, 2008
Nothing
YaYaHood

Pavilion, NY

#2 Jul 26, 2008
Youthful Offender Status...
6 months with dismissal..
Been saying it all along..
The "people" in charge are going to make this go away.
Does anyone hear me now?!
What is the deal

Lewiston, ME

#3 Jul 27, 2008
This is so very wrong. The poor kids who were assaulted, not fair, not fair at all.
pete

Buffalo, NY

#4 Jul 27, 2008
YaYaHood wrote:
Youthful Offender Status...
6 months with dismissal..
Been saying it all along..
The "people" in charge are going to make this go away.
Does anyone hear me now?!
The families of the victims have to agree to the plea..first. This case is not going away..it is proceeding as most cases do in the courts. Sealed cases of youths charged with more serious crimes, happens everyday.
What is it that makes you observe things, as being whitewashed or covered up? If things aren't going like you want them to, it is because the victims are agreeing to the direction this is going in..they seem to want a conclusion for the sake of the victims, so they may continue their young lives as students growing up..A BIG part of molding you as an adult!
Lawsuits can proceed to compensate the victims, which are civil in nature and tend to be less invasive, because they are long drawn out proseceedings and the media has little interest in following them, except for the conclusion, when the victims will be in college!
meggie from medina

Fairport, NY

#5 Jul 27, 2008
If education could be given an enema, the hose needs to start in Wilson and stretch to Medina. Problem is about where all the crap will be expelled, and how much the taxpayers will wind up paying to bury it.
What is the deal

Lewiston, ME

#6 Jul 27, 2008
pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The families of the victims have to agree to the plea..first. This case is not going away..it is proceeding as most cases do in the courts. Sealed cases of youths charged with more serious crimes, happens everyday.
What is it that makes you observe things, as being whitewashed or covered up? If things aren't going like you want them to, it is because the victims are agreeing to the direction this is going in..they seem to want a conclusion for the sake of the victims, so they may continue their young lives as students growing up..A BIG part of molding you as an adult!
Lawsuits can proceed to compensate the victims, which are civil in nature and tend to be less invasive, because they are long drawn out proseceedings and the media has little interest in following them, except for the conclusion, when the victims will be in college!
I would like to see it over. I think that the victims and families would like to see it over. However, IMO, they must not feel that this community is doing right by them.

I say this because they (many affected by this hazing incident) agreed to do the ESPN interview.
Nancee Grayce

Lewiston, ME

#7 Jul 27, 2008
If these kids get off scott-free....what does that say about the coaches?

Do they get to say...see, I told you so, nothing happened?
Sue from Ransomville

Buffalo, NY

#8 Jul 27, 2008
Nancee Grayce wrote:
YUP, because maybe it didn't! I thought for 3 months that something severe happened to those kids and in light of the recent comments by lawyers, I am doubting it did.
anonymous

Lewiston, ME

#9 Jul 27, 2008
You might think differently if you saw the bruises...
Sue from Ransomville

Buffalo, NY

#10 Jul 27, 2008
Okay look. I am not on anyone's side here, I was on the "victim's" side before, but I have a conscience and it is telling me to think about this some more. All I know is that for months the news and papers have spouted on about sodomy, so in discussions in public and in private I have said some things about the accused students on the supposed victims behalf and now I am embarrassed. There is no medical report or it would have already been given to the other attorney. That is how the law works, it's called disclosure. The DA has to provide all of the evidence to the defendant. If they haven't already given it, then I for one am starting to doubt that it exists. Once I see that it does I'll be the first to admit I may have been wrong, but until then I am taking the wait and see approach and keeping my mouth shut.
YaYaHood

Lake View, NY

#11 Jul 28, 2008
pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, go read the article.. ALL of them..
particularly the last two in the Buffalo News.
If there is any truth to them.. this is going away.
and again.. coaches are on paid leave..
PAID.. these two coaches are still getting a paycheck.
The attackers are STILL walking free.
Are you really this ignorant?
pete

Buffalo, NY

#12 Jul 28, 2008
YaYaHood wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, go read the article.. ALL of them..
particularly the last two in the Buffalo News.
If there is any truth to them.. this is going away.
and again.. coaches are on paid leave..
PAID.. these two coaches are still getting a paycheck.
The attackers are STILL walking free.
Are you really this ignorant?
This case is not going away or being treated any different, than any other case handled in the judicial, today...I know because I am in the business!
The details reflected in the NEWS, if accurate, reflect the judicial process and how it manuevers through cases.... esp. without appropriate evidence, that you seem to want to exist and may not.
If the ADA had medical records that prove sexual assault..they must provide them and if not, they then usually proceed to the plea process. There is "no going away" of criminal charges, just because you think they can..it does not happen that way. What would be the motive of the legal system to do such a thing?
This case will be resolved to the acceptance of both parties, however you want to process that, believing that it comes from your reading of the Buffalo News and not having judicial experience! Ignorance comes from dealing with emotion and not facts..you must reflect upon yourself in that catergory.
The coaches on paid leave is part of the civil service contract..they all read like this. Unpaid leave at the discretion of the administartor of the agency where they work. If they are removed from their jobs, for safety or suspicion concerns, and if the unpaid leave is requested after reviewing the reasons for the charges, it is only mandatory for 30 days. Paid leave then continues until the charges are proven!
Remember in AMERICA..it is guilty until proven innocent and these two coaches are yet to be found guilty!
This again shows your ignorance from not having knowledge of the laws that govern this state and country!
If you want to help or secure justice for all these people involved, I suggest you start to read the laws involved and civil service contracts relative to these teachers..all are on the internet...and not call those with extensive knowledge of both..IGNORANT!
Craig

Ailey, GA

#13 Jul 30, 2008
I agree with Pete, first there was a trial in June, did not happen the DA asked for an extention. This month, the charges of sodomy have been dropped and again on July 21 they have asked for an extention. Just like with the coaches (trial in Jan.) the DA has nothing and they know it. Like I said at the very beginning wait until the information comes out. Now we are learning that these boys (those being charged) are missing school and are not allowed to continue with their lives while the DA continues to drag their feet.
Atlas family member

Bradenton, FL

#14 Aug 2, 2008
Nancee Grayce wrote:
Let me ask you Nancee, do you know the coaches? I do very well. Bill Atlas has kids of his own. Do you think he would allow this to happen to his own childern? Pull your head out of your rear!
Atlas family member

Bradenton, FL

#15 Aug 2, 2008
Craig wrote:
I agree with Pete, first there was a trial in June, did not happen the DA asked for an extention. This month, the charges of sodomy have been dropped and again on July 21 they have asked for an extention. Just like with the coaches (trial in Jan.) the DA has nothing and they know it. Like I said at the very beginning wait until the information comes out. Now we are learning that these boys (those being charged) are missing school and are not allowed to continue with their lives while the DA continues to drag their feet.
Pete, attackers? You are an idiot! Do you know either one of them? Have you ever played organized sports? This type of crap happens all over the world. These kids knew exactly what they were doing. It happens in youth sports, highschool, college and the the pro's. I grew up with Bill and he is all family man! Has boys of his own. I don't agree with what the kids did but if you have children of your own you know it is impossible to have an eye on them at all times!
Reader

Buffalo, NY

#16 Aug 2, 2008
Atlas family member wrote:
<quoted text>
This type of crap happens all over the world. These kids knew exactly what they were doing. It happens in youth sports, highschool, college and the the pro's.
This is exactly why it has to stop. It is a shame that this is coming down hard on Wilson, but changes have to be made.

Teenagers are driven by their moods and strong emotions. They sometimes make impulsive and stupid decisions. Just because they are 16 or 18 doesn't mean they don't need to be supervised.

It is a tragedy that this is happening in Wilson and these coaches are really being dealt a horrific blow. I feel bad for them. However, they were put in a powerful position of authority. They are a significant and well-respected member of this community. They hold tremendous power over these groups of kids and in the community. It was up to them to keep the system of checks and balance under control.

In this case in Wilson, the situation skid out of control.
Uh-duh

Buffalo, NY

#17 Aug 2, 2008
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why it has to stop. It is a shame that this is coming down hard on Wilson, but changes have to be made.
Teenagers are driven by their moods and strong emotions. They sometimes make impulsive and stupid decisions. Just because they are 16 or 18 doesn't mean they don't need to be supervised.
It is a tragedy that this is happening in Wilson and these coaches are really being dealt a horrific blow. I feel bad for them. However, they were put in a powerful position of authority. They are a significant and well-respected member of this community. They hold tremendous power over these groups of kids and in the community. It was up to them to keep the system of checks and balance under control.
In this case in Wilson, the situation skid out of control.
You're postings are becoming tiresome because you don't have the true picture of what is happening here. Yes, hazing should not happen and it hasn't been happening here. Stop spouting on about things you don't have the facts on. Hazing should be addressed, but you should start another forum. I'd support it in the right context, but not here, not with this incident.
Reader

Buffalo, NY

#18 Aug 2, 2008
Hazing is a broad term that encompasses any action or activity which does not contribute to the positive development of a person. Hazing inflicts, or intends to cause physical or mental harm or anxieties. Hazing may demean, disgrace, or degrade any person regardless of location, intent or consent or participants.

I'm not the one who started calling this hazing. But it fits the definition.
Uh-duh

Buffalo, NY

#19 Aug 2, 2008
Reader wrote:
Hazing is a broad term that encompasses any action or activity which does not contribute to the positive development of a person. Hazing inflicts, or intends to cause physical or mental harm or anxieties. Hazing may demean, disgrace, or degrade any person regardless of location, intent or consent or participants.
I'm not the one who started calling this hazing. But it fits the definition.
Hazing insinuates a repetitive action. Not in this case.
soccer player for wilson

Montgomery, AL

#20 Aug 9, 2008
pete wrote:
<quoted text>
This case is not going away or being treated any different, than any other case handled in the judicial, today...I know because I am in the business!
The details reflected in the NEWS, if accurate, reflect the judicial process and how it manuevers through cases.... esp. without appropriate evidence, that you seem to want to exist and may not.
If the ADA had medical records that prove sexual assault..they must provide them and if not, they then usually proceed to the plea process. There is "no going away" of criminal charges, just because you think they can..it does not happen that way. What would be the motive of the legal system to do such a thing?
This case will be resolved to the acceptance of both parties, however you want to process that, believing that it comes from your reading of the Buffalo News and not having judicial experience! Ignorance comes from dealing with emotion and not facts..you must reflect upon yourself in that catergory.
The coaches on paid leave is part of the civil service contract..they all read like this. Unpaid leave at the discretion of the administartor of the agency where they work. If they are removed from their jobs, for safety or suspicion concerns, and if the unpaid leave is requested after reviewing the reasons for the charges, it is only mandatory for 30 days. Paid leave then continues until the charges are proven!
Remember in AMERICA..it is guilty until proven innocent and these two coaches are yet to be found guilty!
This again shows your ignorance from not having knowledge of the laws that govern this state and country!
If you want to help or secure justice for all these people involved, I suggest you start to read the laws involved and civil service contracts relative to these teachers..all are on the internet...and not call those with extensive knowledge of both..IGNORANT!
hey chris in america its innocent until proven guilty..maybe you should read all the laws smart one!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lincoln Wood Apartments close to Akron Road (Jan '14) Feb 20 Roytmsl 5
Niagara SPCA Conducts Animal Rescue in Lockport Feb 17 HIGh ya 3
NYS snowfall totals for this week's storm: Who ... Feb 17 HIGh ya 1
Looking for Nancy Lee Sorice Jan '15 Batavia NY 1
INKspressions Tattoos Jan '15 yourmom 4
Lockports Josh Verity commits suicide! (May '12) Jan '15 HIGh ya 171
Review: Steve's Custom Cycle (Jul '10) Jan '15 Rob Kane 11
Wilson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web