A recent letter to the Editor of the Jessamine Journal!

To the editor:

Jessamine County voters have an opportunity to elect a jailer who has a proven record of excellence in our community for more than 25 years.

John Branscum has been involved in our community and has served on numerous boards and committees during his many years of service. Unlike his opponent for the office of Jessamine jailer, who never attended or got involved in anything in our community until he decided to run for office, Branscum has been working to make our community a better place to live for nearly three decades.

Branscum has the experience managing programs and budgets. He has implemented several award-winning programs, which are among the top programs in the state. Among those programs are the D.A.R.E. program, the Jessamine County School Resource Officer Program, the Citizens Police Academy, a citizen volunteer program and numerous crime-prevention initiatives.

Branscum has been honored with several awards during his career spanning 20-plus years with the Nicholasville Police Department. These awards include Kentucky D.A.R.E. Officer of the Year, Kentucky Crime Prevention Officer of the Year and the Lifetime Achievement Award for the Kentucky D.A.R.E. Association. I was amazed as I read the full list of accomplishments and awards on his résumé.

Branscum has also been promoted several times by the NPD. He currently serves as the assistant chief of police.

During his career, he has gained the supervisory experience necessary to run an agency the size of the Jessamine Detention Center. He has developed policy and procedures, has written and been responsible for budgets and has authored and been awarded several state and federal grants.

The other candidate can’t come close to matching his accomplishments. I feel like we have a real opportunity to put a man of high moral and ethical standards in charge of the Jessamine County Detention Center by electing John Branscum on Nov. 2.