Solutions for city's $1.3 million sho...

Solutions for city's $1.3 million shortfall?

There are 13 comments on the Star story from Jun 6, 2012, titled Solutions for city's $1.3 million shortfall?. In it, Star reports that:

A city hall conference room was full Monday for a tax revenue committee meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star.

Cunning Linguist

Athens, OH

#1 Jun 9, 2012
They could cut that very easily without any effect to the citizens. However, it would hurt some feelings and buddies would have to be let go.
James Legitimus

Irvine, CA

#2 Jun 15, 2012
Get the money from Regional Care! That's less than the year budget from the physician trainee program which they get from Medicare
Cunning Linguist

Athens, OH

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Man, you really hate the hospital. I've seen some of your other posts. Are you a former employee? Against a company trying to make money? A hypochondriac that they can't find anything wrong with? A narc seeker that can't get your pills there any more? They killed a family member? Those are the typical reasons. I'm just trying to validate your hatred and your comments.
James Legitimus

Irvine, CA

#4 Jun 20, 2012
Actually, I was a patient and did not appreciate the poor quality of treatment that I received at CMH under the order's of a certain EO.
I believe that a private corporation here receives plenty of money from Medicare (public money) and while cashing in on some very low quality physician training (for what I gathered) it would make sense to redistribute the dollars to the community which, by the way, does not look very healthy (narcs as you knowingly suggest, obesity, etc.).
Perhaps by producing a better quality preventive medicine, hence justifying the Medicare money, the hospital should do a better job at reducing the appalling rate of overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Public funds should not be given away to institutions when they do not perform the job right. This explains why I trust Regional Care should give some of the money back to the community. It is just fair.
Please from now on call me "Legitimist" and you will stay as "lingus" as you may attempt to be.
James Ligitimus

Irvine, CA

#5 Jun 22, 2012
I thought I would share my findings on what is going to happen in Clinton County when Regional Care operates its next merger and displaces its lucrative medical activities to a larger structure. Many will lose their jobs including the closure of the training program for doctors.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/201...
Cunning Linguist

Athens, OH

#6 Jun 23, 2012
"Perhaps by producing a better quality preventive medicine, hence justifying the Medicare money, the hospital should do a better job at reducing the appalling rate of overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc."
I didn't want to quote the whole thing, just this part. They don't have to spend a dollar to educate. I will donate my time. I'm from the country so I might be a bit backwards, but I don't think that it's the responsibility of the local hospital, public or private, to tell people how to live their lives. I might have an elitist attitude, but if you don't know that if you get fat by your lifestyle, then you're more susceptible to medical problems, then I think your punishment should be having to live with those problems. Don't come asking for help from the government or the people if you couldn't take care of yourself in the first place. If you have a problem that you had no control over, then yes, I think you should be helped. But the vast majority of people with medical problems have been brought on by themselves. In case people need a refresher, twinkie bad, tomato good.

And here's another piece or rural wisdom.$hit happens. If people lose their jobs, and they do quality work, they won't have a problem finding another job. Individuals have been jumping from company to company for years, but if a company ends your job they are the devil.
James Ligitimus

Irvine, CA

#7 Jun 25, 2012
Nice to see that we share the same feelings about prevention, CunniLinguist.
Regional Care, like most hopitals, makes money out of people's illness; not the traumas or the accidents but the everyday diabetes, hypertension or obesity...they feed on that. They do not want you to get better ever but stay sick...that's how they make money.
What is remarkable is that the Medicare money used to apparently train physicians in Wilmington actually goes for paying the staff ("Faculty"), and is absolutely not spent on educating the physicians or the patients of Clinton County!
This is a double rip-off...Ask that dude (EO, the manager of the family center)what he does with your public funds.
The Clinton County people have accepted to sell their hospital, for which they will not receive any money (where is the money?), and from which they will not get prevention or health education, which is the priority to control overweightism, high blood pressure, necessary lifestyle changes...
Perhaps, instead of using Medicare money to pay staff and hospital for not training physicians but for using the trainees as cheap labor (...) for night coverage and collect more patients' money, Medicare funds should be used directly for patient education.
I believe the outcome would be amazing!
- Go ask for your money, it is not Regional Care's or the County's, it is actually your own public money, for your own use!
- Request free treatments from the trainee physicians, that's their job; do not pay!
- Ask Regional Care for prevention classes not more hospitalizations or medications.
Ask your politicians to help you! You elect them, tell them what to do!
Cunning Linguist

Athens, OH

#8 Jun 28, 2012
I don't think the people of the county sold the hospital, it was the commissioners. And the sale of the hospital, if I remember, wasn't a campaign issue. There were several choices but they took the private company for better or worse. No, the money they were given isn't going to the people per se, it went to the YMCA among others.
I know that they don't make any money, no hospital makes money off of traumas. But again, diabetes and hypertension, while some of it is hereditary, most of it is caused by lifestyle choices. How much money do you think it would take to educate people? Some people never learn. It's been a while since I've been in school, public school by the way, but they taught health class. Eating right and exercise.
Public or private, we, the working taxpayers pay for it all. If we have insurance, the cost of people who don't have insurance is figured into the costs.
I don't really know why this topic took a turn from city finances to the hospital, but the sale of the hospital has nothing to do with the city being in arrears. The city didn't and won't get a penny from the sale. That is all county money.
Craig

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Jul 14, 2012
Switch all city funded lighting to LED lights activated by thermal motion sensors. Less light pollution, and a much smaller electric bill for the town. May require an initial investment, but when capitalized over the life of the equipment (which is much longer than what is currently in use) the savings will be apparent immediately. I'm pretty sure there are grants available to offset the cost as well. Makes it hard to say no, but I'm sure there are some people who will find something to complain about.
truth

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jul 29, 2012
Actually what I heard from WCH was that the LED lights do not emit any heat so when it snows or sleets the snow and ice accummulate on the lights and they can not be seen, so they have to install a heating system to heat the snow off the lights, which obviously may defeat the cost savings. I heard this from an ODOT guy in Fayette County...may be BS, I dont know, but it makes sense.
Craig

Cincinnati, OH

#11 Jul 30, 2012
They're buying the wrong lights if they're having those problems. Finland uses them without issue and they have operated problem free in -31*F weather.
grizzly Adams

United States

#12 Aug 1, 2012
Cunning Linguist wrote:
I don't think the people of the county sold the hospital, it was the commissioners. And the sale of the hospital, if I remember, wasn't a campaign issue. There were several choices but they took the private company for better or worse. No, the money they were given isn't going to the people per se, it went to the YMCA among others.
I know that they don't make any money, no hospital makes money off of traumas. But again, diabetes and hypertension, while some of it is hereditary, most of it is caused by lifestyle choices. How much money do you think it would take to educate people? Some people never learn. It's been a while since I've been in school, public school by the way, but they taught health class. Eating right and exercise.
Public or private, we, the working taxpayers pay for it all. If we have insurance, the cost of people who don't have insurance is figured into the costs.
I don't really know why this topic took a turn from city finances to the hospital, but the sale of the hospital has nothing to do with the city being in arrears. The city didn't and won't get a penny from the sale. That is all county money.
the county ommisioners are still trying to decide what to do with the "windfall" from sale of CMH. RegHealth's goal is to make a profit they have already cut staff and are using volunteers in positions that use to be salary jobs.Since RegHealth took over the quality of health care has deteriorated-less nurses-less staff = less care.A lot of people are going to Highland community hospital and cincinnati hospitals and that will continue. I see a dim future for CMH and everyone should give a big thanks to the clinton county ommisioners
Cunning Linguist

Athens, OH

#13 Aug 24, 2012
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2012/0...

Between all of the other hospitals in the area, this might be the nail in the coffin of cmh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shelby Bell Thu BLK BOB 4
Derrick Spurlock (Jul '15) Wed Alex 11
Joel harris Jun 20 TJ Willis 5
Clinton Animal Care Center Jun 20 Iwannaknow 1
RichardLeeHensley Jun 18 pissed 11
caitin howell (Jun '13) Jun 18 lol 14
Amber Newbry Jun 16 Bfg56 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmington Mortgages