A Stadium For a Cup of Coffee?

A Stadium For a Cup of Coffee?

Posted in the Wilmington Forum

Castle Hayne

Wilmington, NC

#1 Aug 10, 2012
The proponents for a tax payer funded baseball stadium in Wilmington compare the costs to a cup of coffee. Every tax payer in Wilmington is supposed to buy a multibillionaire a cup of coffee every month for 30 years? This man must really like coffee.....Why can't he use some of his 5.1 billion dollar fortune to buy his own coffee? If you allow for cost overruns and other projects necessary to support this project, the real costs will probably rise to the cost of a nice steak dinner. I am not against helping out someone that needs help, but with his fortune why doesn't he help himself? All of the benefits this project is supposed to do for Wilmington have been proven to be overstated. 37 million dollars of tax payer money to guarantee Mandalay, the Braves and their owner make money. The tax payers get the bill and highly questionable predictions. The tax payers also get to pay each and every time they choose to attend an event in a stadium they paid for. What's next? A toll every time you enter your house? This whole process has had an unpleasant smell from the beginning, and now the city chamber is going to spend $150,000.00 on an add campaign to convince the tax payers to fund this? This from a city that couldn't afford a fire truck a short while ago? This from a city that froze city workers pay and benefits because of budget shortfalls? The chamber is also accepting $50,000.00 from the developer who owes back taxes on the very property the city wants to buy.......... Isn't it time for sports empires to pay their own way? I guess when your wealth dips to 5.1 billion dollars you have no choice but to ask cities and their tax payers to become welfare centers for you. Vote against this bond referendum, send the message to elected officials they need to concentrate on things that pertain to all of the people, and they need to quit trying to look out for their friends in real estate and billionaires looking for a handout.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How to Accessorize a Room (Sep '15) Mar 20 MOOR 11
Who is pig that told uber driver Mar 11 Citizen 1
Ebonee Spears (Feb '16) Mar 6 dgrace51 12
lookin for that horse (Oct '14) Feb '17 CharlieeeeM 3
New Brunswick Mugshots (Nov '13) Jan '17 John 3
Porters Neck Plantation market data and page up... Jan '17 jseville 1
Support U.s Artist Emcee D Unknoen Now Jan '17 Patrick Gilbride 1

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance