Veronica Piper Garcia

Aurora, CO

#1 Jul 16, 2012
Im visiting North Carolina in a couple of weeks and am going to check out a few film schools. There's one in Wilmington that looks promising because it offers an internship and I would LOVE to live near the beach. Both my husband and I were born and raised in California, so we are use to racial diversity. We've been living in Denver for the past four years and aren't happy with the film industry here and are looking to transfer our credits and get our bachelors in NC. I've read that Wilmington is a college town, and that sounds exciting because Im right in that stage of life right now. The fact that it's dog friendly sounds nice too. I've been working with dogs for the past five years, and my dog Pocky LOVES water, so Im excited to see how she will love the beach.

My only concern is that both my husband and I are Hispanic decent. I am half Mexican and half white, and my husband is Bolivian and Nicaraguan mix. It's sort of odd when people here in Colorado come up to me speaking Spanish expecting me to understand lol but other than that I haven't faced any racism. Im one of the best student in my film school with mostly A's and my professors seem to like me. I've always excelled in school and was typically in honor programs and programs for the gifted.

The film industry is already hard to get into. One has to leap many hurdles to get into it. Being that Im a woman studying to be a director is a big enough ambition in it self, I don't want my race to get in the way also. So my question is how accepted are Hispanics in Wilmington?

Will I be scoffed at or thought less of? Will I need to have my credentials pinned to my chest wherever I walk so I won't be considered inadequate? I've heard horror stories about the south, but a friend told me Wilmington is different.

I would move back to California, but the cost of living is SO expensive, twice as much as NC. Im hoping NC will helps us to better keep on our feet.

Im interested in opinions :) So please write
Lisa

Wilmington, NC

#2 Jul 19, 2012
My finding is that everyone is accepted here, as long as you are a decent person. If you are judgemental or bossy that does not go over well. You are pretty much treated as you treat others.

I think you will really love it here. Wilmington has a lot to offer and most of the people are really nice. I moved here over 4 years ago, from New Hampshire and I love it.

Good luck to you!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How to Accessorize a Room (Sep '15) Jul 11 Amara 9
News NAACP joins chorus calling for re-do of March e... Jul 7 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Chad Micah Harcus (Aug '07) Jul 5 rayko 21
Audiolab's Richard Schmetterer is a nasty old man Jun '16 Hesin269 1
New Seagate Backup Plus 2TB Thin Undetectable May '16 ThePacProject 1
Looking for Robert Ellis May '16 Sundrop 3
Jenelle Evans and David Eason May '16 Anonymous 1

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance