Selectman Sears clarifies comment on ...

Selectman Sears clarifies comment on fire station

There are 22 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 14, 2009, titled Selectman Sears clarifies comment on fire station. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Thanks to The Sun for allowing me to correct misinformation in Mr. Kearns' letter of August 26: " was closed on a public-safety issue, not the 'public safety employee contractual issues' that Mr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A Real Selectman

Tewksbury, MA

#1 Sep 14, 2009
Mr. Sears said, what needed to be said. The taxpayers can no longer afford to pay their employees more than the taxpayers make.

Selectman Sears will probably hear the wrath of the unions, but what he said needed to be said.

Profiles in Courage is not just a book, but once in a great while actually happens.

Good job Sears, now stand back and wait for the Special Interests to Tar and Feaher You!!
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#2 Sep 14, 2009
A Real Selectman wrote:
Mr. Sears said, what needed to be said. The taxpayers can no longer afford to pay their employees more than the taxpayers make.
Selectman Sears will probably hear the wrath of the unions, but what he said needed to be said.
Profiles in Courage is not just a book, but once in a great while actually happens.
Good job Sears, now stand back and wait for the Special Interests to Tar and Feaher You!!
So you bash unions now? Unions made it safe for workers at a time employees were being killed for unsafe work conditions. Paying employees is the cost of doing business. Why don't you go to a third world country where things are still backwards like you. Also, you won't say these things to a union member because people like you are a coward.
Really

Tewksbury, MA

#3 Sep 14, 2009
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin wrote:
<quoted text>So you bash unions now? Unions made it safe for workers at a time employees were being killed for unsafe work conditions. Paying employees is the cost of doing business. Why don't you go to a third world country where things are still backwards like you. Also, you won't say these things to a union member because people like you are a coward.
Hey Ed

Those days are over! Stop using the sacrifices of the good union workers of 50 years ago to justify your greed!

The unions of today are a disgrace to the people that actually fought for fair wages and working conditions, now it's all about screwing the Man (taxpayers)

Nobody retires at 55 with 60% pay for the next 30 years, get off your pompous throne, you've lived off the sacrifices of the past for way to long.

Greed Greed Greed!! Public Service my BUTT!!
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#4 Sep 14, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ed
Those days are over! Stop using the sacrifices of the good union workers of 50 years ago to justify your greed!
The unions of today are a disgrace to the people that actually fought for fair wages and working conditions, now it's all about screwing the Man (taxpayers)
Nobody retires at 55 with 60% pay for the next 30 years, get off your pompous throne, you've lived off the sacrifices of the past for way to long.
Greed Greed Greed!! Public Service my BUTT!!
You need a punch to the head, Mr. Coward. You won't say it to their face because you are a fraidy cat. Unions make working conditions tolerable. Your mother should of used better birth control before having garbage like you.
Get a life

Lowell, MA

#5 Sep 14, 2009
<quoted text>You need a punch to the head, Mr. Coward. You won't say it to their face because you are a fraidy cat. Unions make working conditions tolerable. Your mother should of used better birth control before having garbage like you.
See, it's morons like you that the unions hire. Your so tough behind your keyboard. Unions are not needed anymore. They just bring out thug mentality like yours.
Engine D

Braintree, MA

#6 Sep 14, 2009
You're one dumb FiretrUCK!
A Real Selectman

Tewksbury, MA

#7 Sep 14, 2009
<quoted text>You need a punch to the head, Mr. Coward. You won't say it to their face because you are a fraidy cat. Unions make working conditions tolerable. Your mother should of used better birth control before having garbage like you.
These are the type of people that are running our unions today. It's not about all workers, it's always about them, what they have done for all workers.

Well todays union leaders have done nothing for the average worker.

It' always how much them. Well they' ve done nothing in the past 30 years. The real leaders and union workers are all dead. They were the ones that changed America.

This new breed of union member will be the end of unions, of course not in government because the unions buy the elections.

Ed your a piece of sad work, a bully who makes so many Americans SICK!
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#8 Sep 14, 2009
Get a life wrote:
<quoted text>
See, it's morons like you that the unions hire. Your so tough behind your keyboard. Unions are not needed anymore. They just bring out thug mentality like yours.
Who said I'm in a union, Mr. H0M0?? I appreciate the history of the unions and they have a place in society. And yes, I am tough. You are the one hiding behind a keyboard. Everyone bashes the unions but are TOO COWARD to say it to their face.
hard working middle class

Wilmington, MA

#10 Sep 14, 2009
Show me a union rep who is not making money off of the poor, pitiful laborers he represents and I might buy into your argument. 95% of the industries represented by organized unions today no longer need the representation. Working conditions are better than ever in most instances but the unions bully the employers into providing more than they can afford. Unions are destroying this country. There is a time and a place for them but not in every industry they can get into.
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#11 Sep 14, 2009
hard working middle class wrote:
Show me a union rep who is not making money off of the poor, pitiful laborers he represents and I might buy into your argument. 95% of the industries represented by organized unions today no longer need the representation. Working conditions are better than ever in most instances but the unions bully the employers into providing more than they can afford. Unions are destroying this country. There is a time and a place for them but not in every industry they can get into.
Say it to their face and you will be picking your teeth up off the floor.

Wilmington, MA

#12 Sep 15, 2009
Roughing people up, bullying and intimidation is all they know. That doesn't make them right. And if the taxpayer can't afford it where does the money come from??

In fact, as a niece to a union rep I speak first hand on my knowledge. It is not the safety of the work environment nor the best interest of the laborers being protected. The union rep holds a paid position and if he doesn't get the workers organized and contracts signed he doesn't get paid! It's always about the almighty buck.

The nice thing about our country is that (at least for now) we have the right to disgree.
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#14 Sep 15, 2009
hard working middle class wrote:
Roughing people up, bullying and intimidation is all they know. That doesn't make them right. And if the taxpayer can't afford it where does the money come from??
In fact, as a niece to a union rep I speak first hand on my knowledge. It is not the safety of the work environment nor the best interest of the laborers being protected. The union rep holds a paid position and if he doesn't get the workers organized and contracts signed he doesn't get paid! It's always about the almighty buck.
The nice thing about our country is that (at least for now) we have the right to disgree.
Get back into the kitchen where you belong. Put your uniform (apron) on and await further instructions.
Voice of reason

Dracut, MA

#15 Sep 15, 2009
The truth behind this story is Tewksbury Fire gave back money that normally would have went in their bank accounts. They didn't have to but did anyway. Whatever the reason is, I applaud them for doing so. Unions in Lowell have done the same twice in the past year. It's amazing, if they give back something you *itch, if they don't you get the same result. You just can't win.

Wilmington, MA

#17 Sep 15, 2009
<quoted text>Get back into the kitchen where you belong. Put your uniform (apron) on and await further instructions.
It'll be a cold day in h*ll before I take an instruction from anyone like you.

Real men prefer me with the apron "off" so I guess we know what is behind the "tough" words...

Wilmington, MA

#18 Sep 15, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>so you dont work for the buck. i guess you volunteer every day.
Actually I do more volunteer work in a month than most people do in a year.

But putting that aside - my point was that these unions are supposed to be "looking out" for the laborers and their work environment and that's not the case anymore. People can make whatever excuse they want to reason it in their own minds but we all know the truth hurts.
bill

Tyngsboro, MA

#19 Sep 15, 2009
wow
Ed Gein D-Wisconsin

Lowell, MA

#22 Sep 15, 2009
I run my unit how I run my unit. You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances. I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Lowellians who are trained to kill me, so don't think for one second that you can come down here, flash your badge, and make me nervous.
Engine D

Braintree, MA

#23 Sep 16, 2009
Full moon at Noon?
Swamp Gas

United States

#24 Sep 16, 2009
Apple Pie by Grandma Ople : INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

Add to Shopping List
Customize Recipe
Add a Personal Note

What to Drink?
Coffee

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
FOOTNOTE
Baking pie is a rather straightforward technique, but a few tips can only help to make your pies come out looking and tasting perfect!
Larry s hatchet man

Lowell, MA

#26 Sep 17, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>ok
I made some pie for Joe the executioner,Tim the Triggerman, and Mad Dog Mahoney. They all thought it was tasty. Mad Dog was a little upset I didn't wash my hands though before baking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Online TV for Indian Movie fans Feb 5 Cecil 3
News Police log (Sep '10) Feb 1 Steve 18
News Tewksbury must drop Jan 27 jackie 1
News Billerica's Iversen latest local auto dealer to... (Sep '08) Jan 27 pierce ford 114
North Billerica Psycho Jan 26 hammerhead 2
Where is Melanie melanson (Aug '12) Jan 22 wow 46
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) Jan 20 Lock em all up 321
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmington Mortgages