Wilmington weighs in on smell from piggery

Full story: Lowell Sun 33
The Cave family, owners of a Tewksbury piggery, faced a hostile crowd and addressed complaints of nauseating smells from their farm for the first time last night at the Wilmington Board of Selectmen meeting. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lowhell

Lowell, MA

#26 Sep 27, 2008
I want to live on the farm I will fit right in ...
OldYankee

Concord, MA

#27 Sep 29, 2008
Sure beats riding in an elevator with somebody wearing perfume.
tewks

Lowell, MA

#28 Sep 29, 2008
there shouldn't of bought a house there
anoymous

Pepperell, MA

#29 Sep 29, 2008
OldYankee wrote:
Sure beats riding in an elevator with somebody wearing perfume.
I cant you beleive you said that. Years ago I had to ride the elevator every morning and the perfume set off my allergys each and every day for four years. I know where you are coming from.
crazymeee

Lowell, MA

#30 Sep 30, 2008
should of done there homework first

“Tis the season”

Since: Sep 08

USA

#31 Sep 30, 2008
The farm was there first....
Christina

Acton, MA

#32 Oct 2, 2008
I hate to be involved in this, but I live in Wilmington and bought my house 3 years ago.. not aware of any farm near by. I should not have to deal with this horrid stench. My BBQ's and my sons 1st birthday in August where practically ruined. I have a home business that involves being outdoors and it is awful when my clients comment on the smell.
rainydaywoman43

Littleton, MA

#33 Oct 3, 2008
i have lived in wilmington all my life(since 1962)and have always frequented the tewksbury area. I have never once smelled anythng resembling a pig farm. I didnt even know there was one until now.
Christina

Acton, MA

#34 Oct 6, 2008
Come down to the salem street area or near the north school today! It smells God aweful!
rainydaywoman43

Littleton, MA

#35 Oct 6, 2008
i used to have friends in that area in HS i still dont recall any smell.i had a boyfriend who lived on oak street right on the tewksbury line.i also hada friend in hathaway acres.
anoymous

Pepperell, MA

#36 Oct 6, 2008
Christina wrote:
I hate to be involved in this, but I live in Wilmington and bought my house 3 years ago.. not aware of any farm near by. I should not have to deal with this horrid stench. My BBQ's and my sons 1st birthday in August where practically ruined. I have a home business that involves being outdoors and it is awful when my clients comment on the smell.
Buyer beware, you should of done your homework. You cant expect this farm to close because you chose the neighborhood. THATS WRONG.
Christina

Acton, MA

#37 Oct 7, 2008
I don't expect the farm to close. What I do expect is for them to be held to the same standards as the rest of us are when it comes to permits for building and housing a large number of animals. I also know that the type of unit they are holding all 900 pigs in is not the standard. There are more neighbor friendly ways to deal with the gasses of feces.

Also did do my research as far as living in Wilmington. I have been here all my life. I did not do my research on Tewksbury and did not realize that it would effect my daily living.
Sean

Wakefield, MA

#38 Jun 22, 2012
I grew up in Bolton back when it was a farm town. It was rural and idyllic. But then people started moving in next to the farms because they thought it was "quaint". Soon, they realized that farms smell. Farms are full of animals. Animals that make manure. There are huge piles of manure to use for fertilizer. These people decided that the farms needed to close (farms that had been there for hundreds of years and kept families and the community going all that time). Now, Bolton is just a sea of McMansions; all the farms are gone. People suck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sext 8 hr Jake27_27 1
Nomination Papers Available for 2015 Annual Tow... Sat donna 1
School design finalists chosen Sat Francesco Sinibaldi 1
South Tewksbury is an eye sore (Aug '11) Dec 21 donna 10
High-profile lawyer to defend local mom in sex ... (Apr '08) Dec 19 laxman 16
Girlfriend of Tewksbury teacher accused in viol... (Mar '09) Dec 7 sad 26
2 heroin ODs, 2 lives saved in Bedford Nov '14 RightPlaceRightTime 1

Wilmington News Video

Wilmington Dating
Find my Match