Wilmington weighs in on smell from pi...

Wilmington weighs in on smell from piggery

There are 33 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 23, 2008, titled Wilmington weighs in on smell from piggery. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The Cave family, owners of a Tewksbury piggery, faced a hostile crowd and addressed complaints of nauseating smells from their farm for the first time last night at the Wilmington Board of Selectmen meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tewksbury resident

Burlington, MA

#1 Sep 23, 2008
Im sorry but I think people are jumping on the bandwagon about this farm just to have something to complain about. I live less then a mile from Krochomal farm and granted there are some days when it smells pretty bad but I like most other people knew about this farm when I moved into the area, how can I complain about it now. Krochomal is trying to help the situation yet some people are never going to be pleased until they shut the farm down completely which will be a sad day because Krochomal puts on a "fair" during September and October and also has offered winter sleigh rides for people as well.
RoadRunner

United States

#2 Sep 23, 2008
maybe these sensitive sniffers would prefer the smell of the city.

I agree with Tewksbury Resident; If you dont like the smell, dont move in near a farm

Good luck to the Cave Family
From Chelmsford

United States

#3 Sep 23, 2008
I think I can smell the farm on my way to work. I never knew what it was but on 93 s in the morning when you cross over the MBTA commuter rail tracks it smells like a dead body. I almost threw up in my mouth this morning. Someone said its from the farm if thats true close that place down.

“Do NOT Feed the Trolls!!!”

Since: Jul 08

Lowell MA

#4 Sep 23, 2008
From Chelmsford wrote:
I think I can smell the farm on my way to work. I never knew what it was but on 93 s in the morning when you cross over the MBTA commuter rail tracks it smells like a dead body. I almost threw up in my mouth this morning. Someone said its from the farm if thats true close that place down.
How do you know what a dead body smells like?
also Tewksbury resident

Essex Junction, VT

#6 Sep 23, 2008
If the Cave's can control the odor for their little fair and for their money making haunted hayrides, etc. then they can control the odor.. period.

The neighborhood understands they need to do some things that will cause nasty odors - they asked them to make a schedule of whatever maintenance they do that causes the revolting gagging noxious odors so the neighborhood can voluntarily evacuate for the day, or if they do the work at night, keep the windows and doors securely closed.

The Cave's refuse to be a good neighbor. If they were "normal" farm smells, no one would be complaining. But when the whole area is unbreathable because of whatever they are decomposing on that site - at their convenience, that's unacceptable.

You don't hear anyone complaining about the other two piggeries in town - seems like they do things right.
Frank

North Reading, MA

#7 Sep 23, 2008
The Cave's were there first, how can they refuse to be a good neighbor? You live near pigs, expect to smell it.

Lowell MA

#8 Sep 23, 2008
The Nerve wrote:
<quoted text>
I was waiting for someone to reply to that. lol
I live in Wilmington and I've never smelled anything from the pig farm in Tewksbury.
I spend a lot of time in Tewksbury, and I have never smelled that farm

Lowell MA

#10 Sep 23, 2008
The Nerve wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Maverick's doesn't count.....
LOL
I've been in there 3 times, because my girlfriend lives near it

Lowell MA

#12 Sep 23, 2008
The Nerve wrote:
<quoted text>I remember you saying that before, that's why I posted that.
I think the people that can smell the farm mostly are the ones who live down off of South St. past the Elks. Not sure.
true, but my girlfriends daughter has a friend on South st, out really close to the farm, and I still havent smelled it

Lowell MA

#14 Sep 23, 2008
The Nerve wrote:
<quoted text>The next time we go to Maverick's and there's bikes out front, I'll be looking for yours.....
Cool....look for the American flag on the backrest
PU People

Fall River, MA

#15 Sep 23, 2008
very interesting comments. How many of these people smoke butts and smell like ashtrays and no one is telling them that they smell. YES farms do have a smell to them get over it.
anoymous

Brookline, NH

#16 Sep 23, 2008
The people complaining of odor should of checked out the area before moving in. I dont feel bad for them.
OldYankee

Gardner, MA

#17 Sep 23, 2008
I wonder what the pigs think about the 'people smell'.
Tewksbury Resident

Middleton, MA

#19 Sep 24, 2008
I remember as a kid that horrible smell from the highway. I did look at a house on South Street 10 years ago, as soon as we got out of the car that smell....we got right back in our cars. I can smell this across town sometimes on route 388. When it affects a large group of people something needs to be done, especially if its unhealthy.
Jim

Chicopee, MA

#20 Sep 24, 2008
I think this sums up how the rest of the world feels about such issues...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml...

Since: Aug 08

Methuen, MA

#21 Sep 24, 2008
So if I get this right, the farm has been there for years. The homebuyers in the neighboring development signed a document saying they are aware of the farm. Now they want it out?

I agree with one comment that we should all go vegitarian. And stop eating at Subway sub shops.
anoymous

Brookline, NH

#22 Sep 25, 2008
BUYERS BEWARE. If you screwed up and bought next to a farm, its your fault, deal with it. If you bought next to a train station or highway do you think they would shut down because you couldnt deal with it ?
billy

Lowell, MA

#23 Sep 26, 2008
maybe you should not buy a house next to a farm the farm was there first , should have thought of that before buying there !!!
abcd

Lowell, MA

#24 Sep 27, 2008
did you not drive around and check out the town before you bought the house
bop

Lowell, MA

#25 Sep 27, 2008
the farm wasn't all that bad this summer ? move if you don't like it the farm was there first .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gang stalking at mass school of law (Oct '15) Aug '17 jaywil1245 3
News Maintain pressure (May '08) Aug '17 Berlin Betty 23
why are north reading police such jerks????? al... (Apr '11) Aug '17 Photo ID please 46
Robbery. Millpond road Aug '17 hammerhead 2
Billerica Music Emporium (Oct '12) Aug '17 Musikologist 15
News Police arrest log (Dec '10) Jul '17 nick 10
Burlington Police Corruption, Abuse. Minichiello* (Jan '17) Jul '17 just littleoldme 4

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmington Mortgages