Do you approve of Marty Orr (Term End...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#22 Mar 13, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
What about the fact that Marty Orr spent $30K to bring the Iliana Hwy to Wilmington, only to find out when his own home would be affected as a result he then thought it was ok to change his stance.[/quote]
I don't know what you're talking about with this 30k. He was in favor of the Illiana originally yes, I always figured he changed his stance because of the huge amount of people who freaked out and opposed it. As mayor he should represent the people, not his individual opinion. His stance change reflects that.

[QUOTE who="Concerned Citizen"]And what about the fact that the cost of city water has drastically increased as a result of poor decision making on Mayor Orr's behalf.
The water plant was listed by Strong himself as a main accomplishment of his term in office. The water rates going up are the result of that "accomplishment."

The huge water leak by the plant that developed during Strong's term that wasn't fixed until the past year didn't help matters either.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
What about having the audacity to hire a new police chief who wasn't qualified, then pay the new chief $85K a year, only to have to hire several other people in the process to do the chiefs job. Then to find out the chief had the gall to ask for a $5K raise.
Your opinion of the police chief's qualifications is an opinion.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
And as far as Marty Orr taking credit for Ridgeport Development, that was already in place when Roy Strong was Mayor and all Orr did was wrap up what Roy had already put in place.
I agree that credit for Ridgeport does not belong to Orr, but it did get visibly started during his term so I can see how he'd use that as an example of progress.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Then what about the fact that many of the people Orr has chosen to work for the city are not wilmington residents, but rather residents of Yorkville, which is the same place the city manager, Tony Graff ironically resides.
Get over this "live in Wilmington or get out" mantra you have. The mayor is authorized to make appointments to certain jobs. Complain if they do a bad job, don't complain about where they happened to be born.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
And don't make me go into the amount of money he has cost the city with lawsuits, that never would have happened had he done the right thing.
The lawsuits are a result of Strong not doing the right thing. The right thing is not to throw a temper tantrum and make one last attempt to try to handcuff the next administration. At will employees are exactly that. Strong got to pick his people, Orr gets to pick his. The lawsuits exist because Strong handed them money for nothing.
Concerned Citizen wrote:
And these are just the things I'm able to talk about, as for not mentioning my name, I didn't realize that your birth name was "Seems Legit", I guess that makes your mother "Two Legit".
Yeah genius, I'm on here anonymously.**That's the point**

I don't care what your name is. Nobody does. You have no secret information you're holding back on, period. There's no reason you couldn't present it in a manner that preserved your anonymity.
Mrs Plotts

Crest Hill, IL

#23 Mar 14, 2013
My husband's salary is MUCH less than $85,000 a year. To tell the truth, he took a paycut when he accepted the position as Police Chief. This is public record and anyone can go to City Hall and ask for this information along with any other police officer pay/salary. The Sgts and other officers at Wilmington PD made more than the Chief the last four years with overtime, etc. The Chief just makes a salary - no overtime and no extra. My husband, nor any other department head/non-union employee with the City of Wilmington, has received a raise in the last 4 years. The Mayor did go to the council for his department heads to receive a small raise a year or two ago and it was turned down - for all department heads.
Lifer

Joliet, IL

#24 Mar 15, 2013
Mrs Plotts wrote:
My husband's salary is MUCH less than $85,000 a year. To tell the truth, he took a paycut when he accepted the position as Police Chief. This is public record and anyone can go to City Hall and ask for this information along with any other police officer pay/salary. The Sgts and other officers at Wilmington PD made more than the Chief the last four years with overtime, etc. The Chief just makes a salary - no overtime and no extra. My husband, nor any other department head/non-union employee with the City of Wilmington, has received a raise in the last 4 years. The Mayor did go to the council for his department heads to receive a small raise a year or two ago and it was turned down - for all department heads.
Bravo, Mrs Plotts! Please know that the vast majority of people in town appreciate everything the police chief and his department do. Their job is not easy. The chief, and police officers in general, deserve a lot more money and a LOT more respect. The mayor has also done a fantastic job.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!
WilmoLifer

Joliet, IL

#25 Mar 16, 2013
Have lived here all my life. Mr. Orr has done a respectable job for our city. I and my family will vote Another term for Orr.
Cat4life

Chicago, IL

#26 Mar 18, 2013
People do your research and vote NO for Marty!!!
Cat4life

Chicago, IL

#27 Mar 18, 2013
Mrs Plotts wrote:
Awe!!! Isn't that cute defending your husband... Or is it he can't form a complete sentence to save his life. I'm still trying to get his post shooting address out of my head. The reason he gets less than previously stated is he wasn't smart enough to negotiate his own contract...duh!!! As well as he should he does the least amount of work around there. If you don't take in account him shoveling sidewalks, emptying garbage cans, and changing light bulbs in the police department...you know real Chief of Police stuff. How dare Marty Orr even suggest your husband get a raise he already had to hire several other people to do his job. I don't know about your job but if my job had to hire a mentor for me after being in my position for almost a year I would have been fired not requested to get a raise. Marty doesn't care it's the tax payers money he's spending...yeah I know he's also a tax payer. So was the raise a payback ($5,000 not so small) for you being Marty Orr's campaign manager....I'm sorry it was his job as the Chief of Police that was the payback. What is Marty giving you now?....He's promised to sell you the water department!!!
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#28 Mar 19, 2013
Cat4life wrote:
<quoted text>
Awe!!! Isn't that cute defending your husband... Or is it he can't form a complete sentence to save his life. I'm still trying to get his post shooting address out of my head. The reason he gets less than previously stated is he wasn't smart enough to negotiate his own contract...duh!!! As well as he should he does the least amount of work around there. If you don't take in account him shoveling sidewalks, emptying garbage cans, and changing light bulbs in the police department...you know real Chief of Police stuff. How dare Marty Orr even suggest your husband get a raise he already had to hire several other people to do his job. I don't know about your job but if my job had to hire a mentor for me after being in my position for almost a year I would have been fired not requested to get a raise. Marty doesn't care it's the tax payers money he's spending...yeah I know he's also a tax payer. So was the raise a payback ($5,000 not so small) for you being Marty Orr's campaign manager....I'm sorry it was his job as the Chief of Police that was the payback. What is Marty giving you now?....He's promised to sell you the water department!!!
If any of the rants like this ever included a positive and factual reason to vote for somebody else I'd be inclined to actually hear you out.
Hmmmm

Chicago, IL

#29 Mar 19, 2013
It is nice to see that the chief does not feel those small tasks are beneath his position. Cat4life, did your husband volunteer to do it? Somebody has to. Let's see, which cop are you married to? Is it the one who has bilked the city for the past year because he claims he is upset from inflicting a minor injury on a guy when he shot him in the hand? Or is it the one who drives around with a phone permanently attached to his ear and is oblivious to anything going on around him? Or maybe it's the one who runs his private investigation business while on city time? Please, let us know.
Cat4life

Chicago, IL

#30 Mar 19, 2013
Hmmmm wrote:
It is nice to see that the chief does not feel those small tasks are beneath his position. Cat4life, did your husband volunteer to do it? Somebody has to. Let's see, which cop are you married to? Is it the one who has bilked the city for the past year because he claims he is upset from inflicting a minor injury on a guy when he shot him in the hand? Or is it the one who drives around with a phone permanently attached to his ear and is oblivious to anything going on around him? Or maybe it's the one who runs his private investigation business while on city time? Please, let us know.
Hmmmm,

It sounds to me that you maybe married to one of them or you are one of them because you sure think you know a lot. No I'm associated with the one that steals time from the city and has never solved a crime since his appointment and the married couple that has been ripping the city off for years for your information. Its definetly not beneath him...it's him. Maybe the city crew is hiring. No positions there because Marty decided to buy a rusty buffalo instead of laying off someone.

Hmmmm...I think the cat has got your tongue!!!
yeah yeah yeah

Bettendorf, IA

#31 Mar 19, 2013
Cat4life wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm,
It sounds to me that you maybe married to one of them or you are one of them because you sure think you know a lot. No I'm associated with the one that steals time from the city and has never solved a crime since his appointment and the married couple that has been ripping the city off for years for your information. Its definetly not beneath him...it's him. Maybe the city crew is hiring. No positions there because Marty decided to buy a rusty buffalo instead of laying off someone.
MEEEOWWW!
Chronic complainer has been silenced!!
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#32 Mar 19, 2013
Cat4life wrote:
No positions there because Marty decided to buy a rusty buffalo instead of laying off someone.
The buffalo is a remarkably stupid purchase... that is being made by the Chamber of Commerce, not the mayor. I doubt you're concerned with facts, though.
Cat4life

Chicago, IL

#33 Mar 19, 2013
Seems legit wrote:
<quoted text>
The buffalo is a remarkably stupid purchase... that is being made by the Chamber of Commerce, not the mayor. I doubt you're concerned with facts, though.
Receipts don't lie check the city books.
Hmmmm

Belvidere, IL

#34 Mar 21, 2013
I'm not a cop and I'm not married to one. I've lived in Wilmington for over 50 years now. Here's a news flash...there are no secrets in this town. All of this is common knowledge. Ask anyone. I have never been a fan of how the police department is run. It's always been the good ole boys club. It's getting better but has a long way to go. I know all the officers and they know me. I get along with all of them but facts are facts.
Annoyed

Northbrook, IL

#35 Mar 28, 2013
Sounds like a few of you are just posting stuff without ANY facts. Where DO you get your information??? You just start posting like you know exactly what's goin on. Must be listening to the "good ole boys". I know everyone's entitled to their opinion...just sad that yours is so very misinformed.
MyWindyCity

Chicago, IL

#36 Mar 28, 2013
Orr is the cities best change for growth. Don't you want more businesses to open in town? Don't you want Wilmington to be a place people WANT to be? If you want to stay closeted vote for Strong.
Lettuce be serious

Joliet, IL

#37 Mar 28, 2013
I approve of Orr, and come election day we'll see most other Wilmingtonian voters do as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barb should get screened. 8 min Gary 1
Blacks in Braidwood 9 hr Copertone 18
P.T's 14 hr Floyd 3
shadow lakes (Feb '12) Tue SandyM 156
Counter suit Aug 14 Paul 2
Rum Chata Aug 14 Holmes 1
Unemployment debit card (Jan '09) Aug 11 Missy 287

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance