Do you approve of Marty Orr (Term End...

Do you approve of Marty Orr (Term Ends 2013) as Mayor?

Posted in the Wilmington Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1 Oct 31, 2012
Despite a blind spot or two (particularly the police department, Marty leans forward in a town that is stuck in the 19th century. His opposition for 2013 are both idiots.
JustSaying

Joliet, IL

#2 Oct 31, 2012
Hourihan wrote:
Despite a blind spot or two (particularly the police department, Marty leans forward in a town that is stuck in the 19th century. His opposition for 2013 are both idiots.
Amen to that. I like what Marty has done for Wilmington. Cleaned house and has several good projects on his resume.
Longtime Resident

Crest Hill, IL

#3 Nov 1, 2012
I agree. Marty has done a very good job with what he came into from past administration. Remember he has to get council approval so not everything is all the Mayor. My family will vote for Marty for another term. We hope things keep going well. If either of the other two that are running against him get elected, we are all in trouble.
NTN

Joliet, IL

#4 Nov 1, 2012
The mayor seems pro-business, which I like. Ideally anti-business Neises loses the mayoral race and is out of office entirely. Maybe get another pro-growth alderman in and see some positive change.
To anybody in Wilmington like some of our aldermen who hate the idea of this town being the slightest bit larger: Don't complain about your giant water rate increases. Don't complain about the park district taxing. We need pro-business politicians who are willing to increase the tax base here. It will save all of us money.
The most important thing here is that the people voting against Neises don't split the vote among the rest leaving her with enough to win.
Can you imagine Neises as mayor? Her day one agenda would probably be unilaterally revoking Berkot's liquor license and spending tax money on scheming to run Pizza Hut out of town.
wilmo

Itasca, IL

#5 Nov 6, 2012
Marty has done a great job and i will vote for him all the way he is not a good ole boy !!!!pro-business all the way !!!!
used to be a neighbor

Pontiac, IL

#7 Jan 9, 2013
From what I have seen in ways he was good with business bit I disagree with a lot of his decisions. I wouldnever vote for him again. I bbelieve he could have been a better mayor!
Well then

Joliet, IL

#8 Jan 10, 2013
used to be a neighbor wrote:
From what I have seen in ways he was good with business bit I disagree with a lot of his decisions. I wouldnever vote for him again. I bbelieve he could have been a better mayor!
Who are you going to vote for then? The corrupt former mayor, the former crony of the corrupt former mayor, or the consistently on the wrong side of any topic alderwoman?
HdDog57

Joliet, IL

#9 Jan 10, 2013
used to be a neighbor wrote:
From what I have seen in ways he was good with business bit I disagree with a lot of his decisions. I wouldnever vote for him again. I bbelieve he could have been a better mayor!
Marty has done an excellent job as Mayor. Just the fact he got the bridge built over the south island safely and sturdy proved to me he has some get up and go. Also don't forget the deadbeats it ran out of cityhall. Give the man a second term and let's see what his real potential is
used to be a neighbor

Pontiac, IL

#10 Jan 11, 2013
I supported him in the first election. I won't say I won't vote for him. Im just saying in his early years I didn't agree with getting rid of the dispatchers. I see that he has done good. I'm just saying I do not think he did right for pubic safety. But then again I guess all politicians break promises. I see how busy comm centers get. I have seen police not get to a scene for an hour. To me being from Chicago that is a concern for me.
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#11 Jan 12, 2013
I don't like how he started out saying the Iliana was coming and the town should prepare for, to immediately reversing and joining in on these stupid town decrees from the council saying they don't want it here.

There's good and bad to every candidate, IMO the demonstrated bad from the other candidates is much worse. It's unfortunate that there is no "new" candidate running who might actually bring different viewpoints to the table.
JustSayin

Joliet, IL

#12 Jan 12, 2013
Mr. Orr will be a great 2nd term mayor. I will vote for him again. I would like to see something more for Sr. Citizens and more programs to get some of the borderline kids off the streets.
Minus the drug problems,the city is going in the right direction.
VOTE MARTY ALL THE WAY

Itasca, IL

#13 Jan 15, 2013
MARTY ALL THE WAY LIVED IN WILMINGTON FOR 30 YRS THE ONLY ONE WITH COMMON SENSE
Brown Eyes

Crest Hill, IL

#14 Jan 16, 2013
Yes - Marty Orr all the way. At least he does not make false promises to the citizens of Wilmington -he tells us like it is whether we like it or not. You can't make everyone happy. Neises is promising the world to everyone - false promises...
know better

Joliet, IL

#15 Jan 19, 2013
NO..Marty needs to go. I dont like his back room deals. We cant afford to keep him and his "lie and swear to it" team. He has lost his sense of direction with a lot of his projects and needs to go. Im truely disgusted with him.
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#16 Jan 19, 2013
know better wrote:
NO..Marty needs to go. I dont like his back room deals. We cant afford to keep him and his "lie and swear to it" team. He has lost his sense of direction with a lot of his projects and needs to go. Im truely disgusted with him.
Who do you propose is a better option?
Interested

Joliet, IL

#17 Jan 19, 2013
know better wrote:
NO..Marty needs to go. I dont like his back room deals. We cant afford to keep him and his "lie and swear to it" team. He has lost his sense of direction with a lot of his projects and needs to go. Im truely disgusted with him.
You seem to know a lot,could you please elaborate on back room deals! "lie and swear to it" team??
Concerned Citizen

Park Forest, IL

#18 Mar 13, 2013
I agree with the person who opposed Marty Orr based on his lack of ethics. There is so much the community of Wilmington is not privy to that Mayor Orr has taken part in. I only wish I was at liberty to discuss in detail the criminal like dealings he has been a part of, but unfortunatley my discussing this in public could hurt the source of my information. Please, please, please trust someone who has lived for the city of wilmington for many years, and look past false promises, because at the end of the day a city with Marty Orr at the helm is a city headed for disaster.
Seems legit

Joliet, IL

#19 Mar 13, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I agree with the person who opposed Marty Orr based on his lack of ethics. There is so much the community of Wilmington is not privy to that Mayor Orr has taken part in. I only wish I was at liberty to discuss in detail the criminal like dealings he has been a part of, but unfortunatley my discussing this in public could hurt the source of my information. Please, please, please trust someone who has lived for the city of wilmington for many years, and look past false promises, because at the end of the day a city with Marty Orr at the helm is a city headed for disaster.
Everything on this site can be and typically is anonymous. If you have something to say, say it. Change the names, change the jobs, whatever, just get your "facts" out or keep it to yourself.

Vague, non-accusation accusations are pointless. You already didn't sign your name to your post, so what's the problem?

This city with Orr at the helm is headed for disaster? The budget looks to be in good shape despite the disasterous decisions of previous administrations to go ahead with the water plant and just hand out free money to their appointments. The town is going to be in the black and have 250k in reserve from the trucking center. How is that a disaster?

Voting for somebody because they lived in Wilmington is moronic. Ignoring the fact that Orr has lived in Wilmington since 1990 (which should qualify as many years by anybody's standards), which is probably about half of his life, and most of his adult life. Roy Strong was the last mayor, is from town, and has caused us nothing but problems. Vote for mayor based on the facts of what people have actually done in their positions, not what town they were born in.
Concerned Citizen

Park Forest, IL

#20 Mar 13, 2013
What about the fact that Marty Orr spent $30K to bring the Iliana Hwy to Wilmington, only to find out when his own home would be affected as a result he then thought it was ok to change his stance.

And what about the fact that the cost of city water has drastically increased as a result of poor decision making on Mayor Orr's behalf.

What about having the audacity to hire a new police chief who wasn't qualified, then pay the new chief $85K a year, only to have to hire several other people in the process to do the chiefs job. Then to find out the chief had the gall to ask for a $5K raise.

And as far as Marty Orr taking credit for Ridgeport Development, that was already in place when Roy Strong was Mayor and all Orr did was wrap up what Roy had already put in place.

Then what about the fact that many of the people Orr has chosen to work for the city are not wilmington residents, but rather residents of Yorkville, which is the same place the city manager, Tony Graff ironically resides.

And don't make me go into the amount of money he has cost the city with lawsuits, that never would have happened had he done the right thing.

And these are just the things I'm able to talk about, as for not mentioning my name, I didn't realize that your birth name was "Seems Legit", I guess that makes your mother "Two Legit".
releasethekraken

United States

#21 Mar 13, 2013
Concerned Citizen, you have been listening to Roy's talk for too long.
$30K was not spent to bring the Highway to Wilmington, the surveys have been going since Bob Weidling was mayor. Marty was always in support of Illiana going through a small portion of Midewin, which didn't happen, which makes him resort to the No Build option, for ALL the homes that would be affected, not his.

Water was increased due to poor planning by Roy. When the loan negotiations were going on, the loan was set with growth, which never happened.

Chief Plotts was one of the few officers qualified, Imhof was not qualified. Simple as that. He gets paid less than $85K a year. He did not ask for a raise either.

RidgePort was actually set to going to Diamond at the time, because Roy had no initiative to get RidgePort (Roy is anti-growth, something he said in the 2009 Mayoral debate). Also with RidgePort, with the large industrial companies soon to get in there, they will use a lot of water. Which, is how the city can make up for its water cost. Therefore, water price goes down.

I'm not exactly sure about him hiring Yorkville residents, as far as I know no employees live there. However, Roy did annex areas to Ballou road just to get a certain special someone a city job.

With the severance Roy promised, it would have cost the city $150,000. It has cost us ~$20,000. That is a $130,000 difference. It is at the Court of Appeals, when the appeal it, he would have saved us $130,000.

Also, can you please explain his "criminal-like dealings" and how Roy living here for his entire life makes him a better candidate than somebody living here for almost half their life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay singer 1 hr Curious 4
I think the leaker is Bill Rulien 4 hr Know who you are 1
Scene Marnie Simon at city council meeting 4 hr Michelin Man 1
Coal City Sport Try Outs 18 hr Joker 25
Poricine valves don't last. 23 hr Andy 2
shadow lakes (Feb '12) Tue EZE 146
Police chief Mon Andy cant speak o... 3

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmington Mortgages