Reeves Funeral Home
Played for a fool

Morris, IL

#22 Dec 27, 2010
The only painting with a broad brush in this situation has been the white wash job done by the Reeves They have had a few funerals since Jim died but some of those people expected that their loved one was going to be taken care of by Matt and they actually got Carlsons. So who is painting with a broad brush? Deceiving people and when people do happen to catch up with one of the Reeves to question where their money is they try to shift some of the blame for this theft and deception on Matt. I say they need to stop shifting blame and hiding and answer their phone and explain how people are going to be repaid
John

Wilmington, IL

#23 Dec 27, 2010
Normally a funeral contract requires a funeral home to put the money in escrow and to provide you with an escrow agent,s name and an annual report. If you never got this or never asked for it then you never did your homework about funeral contracts. Has anyone asked about this? Also if Matt Baskerville is such an innocent angel why did he not demand this be a practice of the Reeve's funeral home and why did he continue working there if they did not comply with the law? Is he so ignorant he doesn't know about these simple safety precautions? Did he not have any input on the business end of things? Also Dig further back into the history of this town and look into Mrs. Freitag and her prison sentance for Bilking Medicare.
us too

United States

#24 Dec 27, 2010
Perhaps some of us did not know the full details on how a prepaid funeral works. I would of expected it all to be explained by the funeral director who sold the goods at the time of the sale. I suppose he left those details out for a very good reason. So he could keep the money. The people of this town trusted him and were betrayed. Are you saying it is the victims fault for not asking C. James the proper questions?
What happened at Freitags is old news and has no relevance to this situation. How childish to even bring that up. It's like saying yeah he did it but look what they did. I will never understand how anyone can still be a member of that mans fan club. What he did was horrible.
Played for a fool

Morris, IL

#25 Dec 27, 2010
John wrote:
Normally a funeral contract requires a funeral home to put the money in escrow and to provide you with an escrow agent,s name and an annual report. If you never got this or never asked for it then you never did your homework about funeral contracts. Has anyone asked about this? Also if Matt Baskerville is such an innocent angel why did he not demand this be a practice of the Reeve's funeral home and why did he continue working there if they did not comply with the law? Is he so ignorant he doesn't know about these simple safety precautions? Did he not have any input on the business end of things? Also Dig further back into the history of this town and look into Mrs. Freitag and her prison sentance for Bilking Medicare.
John the reason people didnt do their homework about funeral contracts is because foolishly people felt they could trust CJames not to steal their money....As for Matt how was he to know what C James was doing with peoples money Matt was an unpaid employee and on the subject of ignorance I will state once again...was Sandra in a coma when they were in Hawaii or on a cruise was she so ignorant that she didnt know how the mercedes and the diamonds and the furs were being paid for???? And as far as Mrs. Freitag is concerned she paid her debt she did her time and admitted her guilt. Can you say as much for Mrs.Reeves?
Also Concerned

Saint Charles, IL

#26 Dec 27, 2010
Concerned, I could have written your post. I grew up across the street from Leo's Aunt Olive and have known Leo and his family all my life. I dealt with Matt Baskerville when my sister died 4 years ago and he couldn't have been kinder.

I hope everyone who reads this topic truly realizes the alleged wrong, if it was done, was done by one person and shouldn't reflect on the others who have served this community so well for so many years.
Advise or Outlets

Chicago, IL

#27 Dec 27, 2010
Ok, we have come to the conclusion that Jim Reeves took monies paid to him for prearranged funerals and the money is now gone - none to be found or available for the trusting consumers when the need arises. We have also addressed that it is not "gossip" and that the Jim Reeves family has well lived beyond their means... It has been made clear that Jim Reeves and Reeves Funeral Home in Wilmington is isolated from the "other Reeve's", and the "other Reeve's" obviously have some friends in their corner... Matt Baskerville also appears to have some friends, and also not... John ---- Well you must be one of Reeves because you make no sense and apparently have sour grapes that Matt Baskerville and "the other Reeve's" have now bought Frietags.***NOW PEOPLE LETS GET BACK TO THE POINT! I too am a victim of Jim Reeves deception. I have called and called the funeral home with no reponse (and agree with above- now no one even answers the phone ) I've been to Sandy Reeve's home and though both her convertable Mercedes and Cadillac were there... She won't answer the door. I've called the Illinois Funeral Association and the Illinois State Comptrollers Office (who regulates prearranged funerals) and they give me the run-around, and I've called the Free Press Sound-Off - and it doesn't get published. In speaking to an attorney, it's going to cost a whole lot of money to sue, with no guarantee of return... The saddest part about this is that I thought Jim was my friend. We went to school together, my very elderly mother and I stood in line under the hot sun for hours to pay our respects to him when he died and ultimately I trusted him! The pre arrangement funeral contract that he wrote up for my Mom even referenced a "family discount" -NOW only come to find out that the check was cashed and the contract is not worth more than the paper it was written on. I am utterly sick about this and haven't slept in weeks. THE REEVE'S SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! Does ANYONE have any other outlets or advise to share, I spoke to a friend who mentioned possibly a class action suit???

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#28 Dec 28, 2010
I completely agree with everything you said. Leo and Matt Baskerville are both honorable men. I too have known Leo for many years, and have gotten to know Matt Baskeville over the last 5 years or so. I am humbled to be able to call him one of my best friends. Neither Matt or Leo would ever even consider doing such a awful thing to their clients. C. James Reeves has tarnished HIS name, and his family members whom weren't lucky enought to check out. What kind of a legacy to leave for your family! I agree that if you gave C. James Reeves ANY money you need to be contacting Jeff Fisher.
Played for a fool

United States

#29 Dec 28, 2010
Advise or Outlets wrote:
Ok, we have come to the conclusion that Jim Reeves took monies paid to him for prearranged funerals and the money is now gone - none to be found or available for the trusting consumers when the need arises. We have also addressed that it is not "gossip" and that the Jim Reeves family has well lived beyond their means... It has been made clear that Jim Reeves and Reeves Funeral Home in Wilmington is isolated from the "other Reeve's", and the "other Reeve's" obviously have some friends in their corner... Matt Baskerville also appears to have some friends, and also not... John ---- Well you must be one of Reeves because you make no sense and apparently have sour grapes that Matt Baskerville and "the other Reeve's" have now bought Frietags.***NOW PEOPLE LETS GET BACK TO THE POINT! I too am a victim of Jim Reeves deception. I have called and called the funeral home with no reponse (and agree with above- now no one even answers the phone ) I've been to Sandy Reeve's home and though both her convertable Mercedes and Cadillac were there... She won't answer the door. I've called the Illinois Funeral Association and the Illinois State Comptrollers Office (who regulates prearranged funerals) and they give me the run-around, and I've called the Free Press Sound-Off - and it doesn't get published. In speaking to an attorney, it's going to cost a whole lot of money to sue, with no guarantee of return... The saddest part about this is that I thought Jim was my friend. We went to school together, my very elderly mother and I stood in line under the hot sun for hours to pay our respects to him when he died and ultimately I trusted him! The pre arrangement funeral contract that he wrote up for my Mom even referenced a "family discount" -NOW only come to find out that the check was cashed and the contract is not worth more than the paper it was written on. I am utterly sick about this and haven't slept in weeks. THE REEVE'S SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! Does ANYONE have any other outlets or advise to share, I spoke to a friend who mentioned possibly a class action suit???
very well said!!! In my opinion the best thing to do is get the word out and have the people who pre-arranged with C James come forward and file a class action suit against the estate. However how much money would be recouped is a concern since both the funeral home and C James's home are mortagaged and both on the brink of foreclosure. Since the Free Press refuses to print any sound off (Shame on the Fishers) the Herald News should be contacted as well as Chicago news media. Not for the sake of "gossip" but for the sake of those who are not aware that their hard earned money paid to C James in good faith is not there.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#30 Dec 28, 2010
Advise or Outlets wrote:
Ok, we have come to the conclusion that Jim Reeves took monies paid to him for prearranged funerals and the money is now gone - none to be found or available for the trusting consumers when the need arises. We have also addressed that it is not "gossip" and that the Jim Reeves family has well lived beyond their means... It has been made clear that Jim Reeves and Reeves Funeral Home in Wilmington is isolated from the "other Reeve's", and the "other Reeve's" obviously have some friends in their corner... Matt Baskerville also appears to have some friends, and also not... John ---- Well you must be one of Reeves because you make no sense and apparently have sour grapes that Matt Baskerville and "the other Reeve's" have now bought Frietags.***NOW PEOPLE LETS GET BACK TO THE POINT! I too am a victim of Jim Reeves deception. I have called and called the funeral home with no reponse (and agree with above- now no one even answers the phone ) I've been to Sandy Reeve's home and though both her convertable Mercedes and Cadillac were there... She won't answer the door. I've called the Illinois Funeral Association and the Illinois State Comptrollers Office (who regulates prearranged funerals) and they give me the run-around, and I've called the Free Press Sound-Off - and it doesn't get published. In speaking to an attorney, it's going to cost a whole lot of money to sue, with no guarantee of return... The saddest part about this is that I thought Jim was my friend. We went to school together, my very elderly mother and I stood in line under the hot sun for hours to pay our respects to him when he died and ultimately I trusted him! The pre arrangement funeral contract that he wrote up for my Mom even referenced a "family discount" -NOW only come to find out that the check was cashed and the contract is not worth more than the paper it was written on. I am utterly sick about this and haven't slept in weeks. THE REEVE'S SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES! Does ANYONE have any other outlets or advise to share, I spoke to a friend who mentioned possibly a class action suit???
Perhaps people need to place a lien on her home or the funeral home property. I think it's just about $100 or so to file a property lien, and that would be well worth it to know if you coule recoupe several thousands of dollars. When the property is sold, the liens have to be satisfied first. Who knows though if he was running this sham for this long without anyone knowing, everything else is probably mortgaged to the hilt!!!!
John

Wilmington, IL

#31 Dec 28, 2010
As usual people read what they want to read. You want to be angry, as well you should be for the deception that was played upon you. For clarification my information was posted up as an offer of where the monies might be being held. An estate can be a nightmare to untangle and perhaps your monies are in a perfectly legitimate place. As to blaming you for not knowing how a prepaid funeral should work, that is your fault. It is tantamont to buying a car from some guy down the street without having a mechanic look it over first and then having the transmission fall out. You should always research things you don't understand. Go to the library, look it up. Or even the Internet which is where most seem to get advice these days. When you spend thousands of dollars you should have a contract and when you have a contract you should have lawyer look at it first. FOR YOUR PROTECTION. Even if Jim Reeves was like your brother, business is business and you should trust no one with serious money like that unless you can afford to lose it. Yes, you can sue them but most likely there is little money left, and if he is as evil as you all think he now is then he has protected his family from your lawsuits. But what I think happened is he was raised in a certain lifestyle and could not make a teacher's pension and the income from an old funeral home work well enough to maintain it. I think pride is the sin he is most guilty of. One of the seven deadly sins. I WAS a fan of Jim Reeves. I am not happy that he did this, and yes I believe he knowingly did this. But I have seen this situation before. Been hurt by people I called friend too. I look to God to help me find a way to forgive, which I think many of you never will be able to do. I wish you all luck on recovering the money. As for Matt I don't know how anybody can be "unpaid" in this world. I work in a small business and everybody knows your business in this town so I find it hard to think he is completely ignorant. As for Freitag I brought it up so that people will not forget that a big "family" name in this town does not make you an Angel automatically. They all have their black sheeps too. Again trust no one with your money without taking precautions. As for the paper, perhaps they are waiting to have facts before they publish a story. Lord knows how litigious this world has become. I am done with this conversation because venting is only good for those who were wronged. Happy purging.
CONCERNED

Coal City, IL

#32 Dec 28, 2010
John wrote:
As usual people read what they want to read. You want to be angry, as well you should be for the deception that was played upon you. For clarification my information was posted up as an offer of where the monies might be being held. An estate can be a nightmare to untangle and perhaps your monies are in a perfectly legitimate place. As to blaming you for not knowing how a prepaid funeral should work, that is your fault. It is tantamont to buying a car from some guy down the street without having a mechanic look it over first and then having the transmission fall out. You should always research things you don't understand. Go to the library, look it up. Or even the Internet which is where most seem to get advice these days. When you spend thousands of dollars you should have a contract and when you have a contract you should have lawyer look at it first. FOR YOUR PROTECTION. Even if Jim Reeves was like your brother, business is business and you should trust no one with serious money like that unless you can afford to lose it. Yes, you can sue them but most likely there is little money left, and if he is as evil as you all think he now is then he has protected his family from your lawsuits. But what I think happened is he was raised in a certain lifestyle and could not make a teacher's pension and the income from an old funeral home work well enough to maintain it. I think pride is the sin he is most guilty of. One of the seven deadly sins. I WAS a fan of Jim Reeves. I am not happy that he did this, and yes I believe he knowingly did this. But I have seen this situation before. Been hurt by people I called friend too. I look to God to help me find a way to forgive, which I think many of you never will be able to do. I wish you all luck on recovering the money. As for Matt I don't know how anybody can be "unpaid" in this world. I work in a small business and everybody knows your business in this town so I find it hard to think he is completely ignorant. As for Freitag I brought it up so that people will not forget that a big "family" name in this town does not make you an Angel automatically. They all have their black sheeps too. Again trust no one with your money without taking precautions. As for the paper, perhaps they are waiting to have facts before they publish a story. Lord knows how litigious this world has become. I am done with this conversation because venting is only good for those who were wronged. Happy purging.
Pride and greed caused this problem. I trusted him like a brother and for good reason. I felt he was trustworthy. I was wrong. Matt was unpaid like every other person that did business with C.James. You work in a small business. Are you sure your employer is honest? Freitag was after the fact and realy has nothing to do with the Reeves issue.
Not surprised

Morris, IL

#34 Dec 28, 2010
Does anyone know any of the Jim Reeves family? How can we get them to answer some of these questions? How can they in good conscience leave so many people wondering where the money is, and how will people who have pre-arranged be serviced when the time comes? From what i have read there is so much anger and confusion someone from the Reeves family needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge the fact that there has been a terrible wrong done, and offer some explaination of how the Jim Reeves family plans to make things right. I have heard that one comment from the family to someone was "well if you are looking for money we don't have any" Well they spent plenty and they owe plenty. I just hope they come to realize what they owe this commmunity who trusted and loved Jim and have been so betrayed
Bandit

United States

#35 Dec 28, 2010
Not surprised wrote:
Does anyone know any of the Jim Reeves family? How can we get them to answer some of these questions? How can they in good conscience leave so many people wondering where the money is, and how will people who have pre-arranged be serviced when the time comes? From what i have read there is so much anger and confusion someone from the Reeves family needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge the fact that there has been a terrible wrong done, and offer some explaination of how the Jim Reeves family plans to make things right. I have heard that one comment from the family to someone was "well if you are looking for money we don't have any" Well they spent plenty and they owe plenty. I just hope they come to realize what they owe this commmunity who trusted and loved Jim and have been so betrayed
I have tried more than once. No response.
Played for a fool

Brook, IN

#37 Dec 29, 2010
O.K. folks,today while speaking with some friends of course the hot topic in town came up. My friend tells me that they heard through a Reeves family member that the only way Matt was able to buy the new funeral home was because of all the money he stole from them. My first question to that statement would be, according to Sandy Megan and Tristen they had no clue about the finances soooo how would they know Matt stole from them(which he didn't and never would) if they had no knowledge of the finances. Question 2 I also am told Sandy was so unaware she didnt know Jim refinanced their home, if you check with Will County and inquire about property taxes (public record) the taxes show the home at 414 Van Buren is owned by C James and Sandra Reeves. Hmmmm didn't know about the mortgage yet you own the home...again there is that vacation coma creeping up. So I am just saying folks when you hear the we didnt know story and the Matt stole from us crap consider the source and then judge for yourself

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#38 Dec 29, 2010
Played for a fool wrote:
O.K. folks,today while speaking with some friends of course the hot topic in town came up. My friend tells me that they heard through a Reeves family member that the only way Matt was able to buy the new funeral home was because of all the money he stole from them. My first question to that statement would be, according to Sandy Megan and Tristen they had no clue about the finances soooo how would they know Matt stole from them(which he didn't and never would) if they had no knowledge of the finances. Question 2 I also am told Sandy was so unaware she didnt know Jim refinanced their home, if you check with Will County and inquire about property taxes (public record) the taxes show the home at 414 Van Buren is owned by C James and Sandra Reeves. Hmmmm didn't know about the mortgage yet you own the home...again there is that vacation coma creeping up. So I am just saying folks when you hear the we didnt know story and the Matt stole from us crap consider the source and then judge for yourself
Well if she is listed on the mortgage, she had to sign the papers. Let me say this..they want to play stupid, and try to find someone else to blame this on. Well, Matt Baskerville is one of the most stand up guys I know. He would NEVER steal anything from anyone, and he wouldn't need to. He has worked very hard for everything he has acheived, and he would NEVER stoop as low as C James Reeves did. Easier for that family to try to blame it on someone else then it is to accept the fact that the old man was a frickin theif and fraud. SHAME ON ALL FOUR OF THEM. CJAMES, HIS COMATOSE WIFE AND BOTH DAUGHTERS!!!!!
don

United States

#39 Dec 30, 2010
Let's just wait until the federal investigation becomes a reality. Many in Wilmington will be suprised and disappointed.
None of your Business

Downers Grove, IL

#40 Dec 30, 2010
It seems like Mrs. Reeves and the rest of the family has turned a blind eye to many of the things Jim did.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#41 Dec 30, 2010
None of your Business wrote:
It seems like Mrs. Reeves and the rest of the family has turned a blind eye to many of the things Jim did.
Boy that's the truth. They aren't going to be able to talk their way out of this. Nor blame it on anyone else.
CONCERNED

Coal City, IL

#42 Dec 31, 2010
don wrote:
Let's just wait until the federal investigation becomes a reality. Many in Wilmington will be surprised and disappointed.
I agree. His family had to know. Their accountant had to know. Their attorney had to know. Where does the investigation start? The I.R.S.? The funeral director's association? The state bar association? Who is giving them advise now them now? Start there.
Sick to My Stomach

Harrisburg, PA

#43 Dec 31, 2010
I have read all the comments above and am embarassed to say that I am a funeral director. For the record every family I have ever served or set up a pre-arrangement with, received a deposit slip and an annual accounting by the depository of funds, not to mention a 1099 for tax purposes. Of course some pre-arrangements are funded through insurance (I never was involved with these) and you might not receive a 1099 for tax purposes. Every trust which is set up is traceable and fortunately audited annually by the Comptroller's Office of the State of IL. Just remember audits are only as good as the information which is presented to the auditors.
Rumors abound about the condition of the funeral trusts at the time of Mr. Reeves death. It would behoove every family affected to call the Office of the Illinois Comptroller and file a complaint with the Burial Trust Section. Their number is (877) 203-3401. Follow it up with a call to your County States Attorney if you believe a fraud has been committed. Calling his widow or the attorney for his estate is USELESS.

JUST REMEMBER FOR EVERY ROTTEN FUNERAL DIRECTOR YOU WILL FIND A MULTITUDE OF GREAT ONES.

As a funeral director, taking advantage of people who place their trust in you is about the lowest insult we can all suffer, not only as loyal patrons in the community but as fellow funeral directors who have spent a life time serving our communities and living within our means.

From my knowledge of the Wilmington area is blessed with many honest funeral directors. So be thankful.

----------

----------

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old and cheap 14 hr Peace 11
Burts estates 14 hr Cubs 5
Girot 14 hr HAHA 3
Rachettis 14 hr Unhappy Customer 1
La Cocina (Oct '15) 22 hr shut it down 49
Isadora's Wed get a life 62
Mayor Vehrs Tue No stone unturned 10

Wilmington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmington Mortgages