Death of a Cathedral

May 20, 2012 Full story: www.virtueonline.org 23

"There is a balm in Gilead," sang the choristers at a solemn service marking the end of 161 years of worshipping life at the Cathedral Church of St. John, in Wilmington, Delaware, on Saturday, but it was hard to find any balm in a building that has stood here as a neighborhood landmark in America's First State. By all accounts, it still has many good years left in it. Tragically, it no longer has enough parishioners to keep the doors open as its coffers have run dry.

Former Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold gave an "appreciation and thanksgiving sermon" ... but in fact his sermon was a eulogy, a memorial service for a cathedral that will now join many others that have closed in The Episcopal Church ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 May 20, 2012
from virtueonline:

"In July, a decommissioning will take place, a sort of ecclesiastical funeral service for family and friends. The cathedral will then be dismantled and its parts, including a magnificent set of stained glass windows over the altar, sold off to the highest bidder.

"As these aging, sad looking Episcopalians looked around them for the last time, the lines of one congregational hymn captured the moment,'Mortal pride and earthly glory, sword and crown betray our trust; though with care and toil we build them, tower and temple fall to dust.'"

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#2 May 20, 2012
James Von Dreele · CEO/Executive Director at Seamen's Church Institute of Philadelphia & So. Jersey
I was one of those grey haired priests sitting right in front of you. I was with my rector, a gay priest, who is leading one of the fastest growing churches in the Diocese of Delaware. The Gospel is preached faithfully and marvelous ministry takes place.

So I was curious how you would approach this story. Yes, it was like a memorial service and the loss is always sad yet there was rejoicing. What I found distracting was your constant chattering in the back pew about all your millions of Internet hits and successes in exposing TEC with all its heresies and scandals all the while the Cathedral & School Choirs were presenting a beautiful offering of music. It was hard for us to listen to that offering because of your disruption. Too bad you had to run out to some other important news story.

Regarding the issue of women clergy, today I was preaching at a wonderful parish in the Diocese of Pennsylvania (another of your targets for scandal) which has been growing by leaps and bounds. There were a lot of grey haired folks but a lot of young families as well. The rector is a woman priest of incredible skill and gifts. The Church has been blessed by her ministry.

One last point about orthodoxy. Two of the most orthodox churches are Rome and the Southern Baptist churches. Look where their orthodoxy has gotten them?

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#3 May 21, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
Yes, it was like a memorial service and the loss is always sad yet there was rejoicing. What I found distracting was your constant chattering in the back pew about all your millions of Internet hits and successes in exposing TEC with all its heresies and scandals ...
I see he doesn't deny all TEC's "heresies and scandals".

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#4 May 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I see he doesn't deny all TEC's "heresies and scandals".
If only you were as concerned with humans as you are stone.

It's hard for romans to call their made up bs heresy since they are the ones always doing the killing or excommunicating.

Very telling and further proof of what is important to you..........

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#5 May 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I see he doesn't deny all TEC's "heresies and scandals".
Yes, he does...HE EXPOSES your same tactics and now we know where you get them from...it was almost as if you wrote them...I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW!

Does the word collusion and racketeering mean anything to you? Do the RICO laws apply to what you are doing?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#6 May 21, 2012
Disciples of VIRTUE!!!!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 May 21, 2012
For some, the message of Jesus is not quite enough. They have to engage in affirmations and predictions of doom, gloom, sexual sin and the purveyance of iniquity in order to get any satisfaction.

For others, a simply modest acceptance of Jesus' Teachings offers the lead in a path toward Love of God and fellowship with humanity.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#8 May 21, 2012
Here is another story of a church facing reality in 2012.
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/a...

Posted: 02/20/2012

DETROIT (WXYZ)- During a Monday news conference, Archbishop Allen Vigneron unveiled the future plans for the Catholic community of southeast Michigan.

Vigneron detailed the Church's restructuring plans that will impact the church's 267 parishes.

•Detroit will develop a plan to merge, expecting to use multiple worship sites.

And

The Church wants the parishes to have a plan in place in case it becomes necessary because a pastor is not available or the parish encounters financial deficits.

And

NOTE THIS LINE:

In Detroit, Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Church of the Madonna, St. Benedict and St. Gregory will develop a plan to merge and retain a maximum of two worships sites. One of those sites must be the Cathedral of the Most Blesses Sacrament.
SEE THE LIST: Archdiocese announces Catholic church closures, mergers

And

The news conference took place at the Blessed Pope John Paul II Parish, located at 5830 Simon K. Street in Detroit and revealed the results of the extensive planning process called "Together in Faith, Phase II."

The Archdiocese said a severe priest shortage is prompting some closings along with changing demographics and the financial difficulties some parishes are experiencing.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#9 May 21, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, he does...HE EXPOSES your same tactics and now we know where you get them from...it was almost as if you wrote them...I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW!
Does the word collusion and racketeering mean anything to you?...
Does "deception" mean anything to you?

Selecia Jones · Jacksonville, Florida
I do internet battle with these people ALL the time ... 11 hours ago

And your post was only days after you said you wanted to "bury the hatchet"!

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#10 May 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Does "deception" mean anything to you?
Selecia Jones · Jacksonville, Florida
I do internet battle with these people ALL the time ... 11 hours ago
And your post was only days after you said you wanted to "bury the hatchet"!
I buried the hatchet YEARS ago...your only sole purpose here is to EXPOSE The Episcopal Church...for what I don't know. You might want to work on your own church with pedos and woman haters. To see that post on there just lets me know that your black heart is filled with hatred for women, gays and TEC. I pity you. I am truly sorry for you.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#11 May 21, 2012
When I said that I do battle on the internet, it is with MANY...not just here Joe...don't flatter yourself.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#12 May 21, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>I buried the hatchet YEARS ago ...
So, did you recently unearth it?

Selecia Jones · Jacksonville, Florida
I do internet battle with these people ALL the time ...
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
your only sole purpose here is to EXPOSE The Episcopal Church...for what I don't know ...
For the sake of the truth.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#13 May 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
So, did you recently unearth it?
Selecia Jones · Jacksonville, Florida
I do internet battle with these people ALL the time ...
<quoted text>
For the sake of the truth.
I do battle on multiple Topix threads as well as Facebook and many other places. Tomorrow I will be doing it LIVE AND IN PERSON at the Jacksonville City Council meeting. Look for the video to be posted. You can watch it LIVE on the internet...

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#14 May 22, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
When I said that I do battle on the internet, it is with MANY...not just here Joe...
But here we are.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#15 May 22, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
But here we are.
I wear my Supergirl panties OFTEN!!!! I fight for TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY! I have them on today as a matter of fact.

I am more than civil to you. I am not going to give up my ideals and I am not backing down. I keep on praying that you realize the pain that you and the Virtue types cause...maybe one day, you will awaken.

Micah 6:8. THOSE are your marching orders from God.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#16 May 22, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>I wear my Supergirl panties OFTEN!!!! I fight for TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY! I have them on today as a matter of fact.
I am more than civil to you. I am not going to give up my ideals and I am not backing down. I keep on praying that you realize the pain that you and the Virtue types cause...maybe one day, you will awaken.
Micah 6:8. THOSE are your marching orders from God.
He's like talking to a 3 year old whose only question is WHY and WHAT'S THIS....

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#17 May 22, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
Here is another story of a church facing reality in 2012.
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/a...
Posted: 02/20/2012
DETROIT (WXYZ)- During a Monday news conference, Archbishop Allen Vigneron unveiled the future plans for the Catholic community of southeast Michigan.
Vigneron detailed the Church's restructuring plans that will impact the church's 267 parishes.
•Detroit will develop a plan to merge, expecting to use multiple worship sites.
And
The Church wants the parishes to have a plan in place in case it becomes necessary because a pastor is not available or the parish encounters financial deficits.
And
NOTE THIS LINE:
In Detroit, Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament, Church of the Madonna, St. Benedict and St. Gregory will develop a plan to merge and retain a maximum of two worships sites. One of those sites must be the Cathedral of the Most Blesses Sacrament.
SEE THE LIST: Archdiocese announces Catholic church closures, mergers
And
The news conference took place at the Blessed Pope John Paul II Parish, located at 5830 Simon K. Street in Detroit and revealed the results of the extensive planning process called "Together in Faith, Phase II."
The Archdiocese said a severe priest shortage is prompting some closings along with changing demographics and the financial difficulties some parishes are experiencing.
It seems to be all over:

49 Philly-area Catholic schools to close or merge

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story...

Followed by:

Recourse for merged or closed parishes

http://catholicphilly.com/2012/04/news/parish...

Perhaps soon we will see a head line, Death of an Imperial Denomination.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#18 May 22, 2012
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>I wear my Supergirl panties OFTEN!!!! I fight for TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY! I have them on today as a matter of fact ...
Waaaay too much information.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#19 May 22, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to be all over:
49 Philly-area Catholic schools to close or merge
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story...
Followed by:
Recourse for merged or closed parishes
http://catholicphilly.com/2012/04/news/parish...
Perhaps soon we will see a head line, Death of an Imperial Denomination.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
The numbers out of Europe for the Church of Rome are even grimmer then they are here in the US. They no longer can claim to be the Heart of Christendom, or the Christian world.

By the way the Bishop of Rome just appointed a large number of European Cardinal-Electors to help prevent the possibility of the next Bishop of Rome not being a European.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#20 May 22, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Waaaay too much information.
Wearing them because tonight at Jacksnville City Council is the piece to add gender orientation and sexual as well to the non-discrimination policy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Nissi Driving School (Jun '11) 48 min Ash 6
Thomas Warren Underwood Sep 12 rainmaker 1
Homicides on Record Pace while ".38 Special Pe... Sep 5 Culture Auditor 1
Kicking The Can Down The Road: A Habit That's H... Jul '14 Justin 30
DUI Checkpoint and Patrols Scheduled This Weeke... Jul '14 mee 1
Obama: First priority to determine if Americans... Jul '14 rio 2
Veterans Hospital in Elsmere ,De Jul '14 Elwood 1
•••

Wilmington News Video

•••
•••

Wilmington Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Wilmington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Wilmington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wilmington
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••