Religious order's pastries come with ...

Religious order's pastries come with a side of support

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 30, 2009, titled Religious order's pastries come with a side of support. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

In a corner of the Elmhurst Public Library, Sister Marie Celine of St. Roger Abbey French Patisserie is frothing up a latte behind a display case filled with briochettes, apple turnovers and slices of "Brother ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

barth

Elmhurst, IL

#1 Jan 30, 2009
An excellent article about a unique organization. As a frequent customer of the Elmhurst Library coffee bar, I know that the sisters of St. Roger's Abbey are gracious and cheerful hard workers. Their story deserves even more coverage, and with a photog. Thanks, Mr. Working.
Dave

Naperville, IL

#3 Jan 30, 2009
I agree 100%. It's always a pleasure to enjoy a coffee and pastry at the library made by such good-hearted people. I believe they also run a little coffee bar at the Elmhurst train station.
thingy

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 30, 2009
These nuns are inspiring. I also learned today, if I ever need to go through a bad neighborhood, wear a habit.
mzmarlena

Skokie, IL

#5 Feb 3, 2009
What is really happening is the Nuns and their Church need the poor.
God Bless Those Nuns

United States

#6 Feb 3, 2009
What a great story in these dismal times. I wish they had a location to purchase their pasteries in Chicago, I would love to support them and eat some delicious delicacies too. God Bless these Nuns and their mission!
What it means To Love

Downers Grove, IL

#7 Feb 3, 2009
To give of oneself, one's whole self, in poverty, chastity, and obedience, this is what it means to love, truly in imitation of Christ and the Evangelists. Good work sisters and brothers!

Many Blessings for Life in Christ!
barth

Elmhurst, IL

#8 Feb 12, 2009
mzmarlena wrote:
What is really happening is the Nuns and their Church need the poor.
Yes, mutual need is what gives the world what cohesiveness it has. We need more of both, perhaps?
rezasantorini

Skokie, IL

#9 Feb 17, 2009
barth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, mutual need is what gives the world what cohesiveness it has. We need more of both, perhaps?
I don't mind them being at a PUBLIC library as long as they don't preach. Get religion out of government and don't support religion with my tax. If you want to donate, please do so. That brings cohesiveness, too.
Deke

Naperville, IL

#10 Feb 19, 2009
rezasantorini wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind them being at a PUBLIC library as long as they don't preach. Get religion out of government and don't support religion with my tax. If you want to donate, please do so. That brings cohesiveness, too.
They don't preach. They hardly talk, in fact.
rebecca

Harvey, IL

#11 Feb 20, 2009
rezasantorini, the coffee shop has nothing to do with the public library or taxes, (not that you pay taxes in Elmhurst anyway if your screen name says Skokie...) the coffee shop pays rent to the library.
reza santorini

Skokie, IL

#12 Feb 21, 2009
rebecca wrote:
rezasantorini, the coffee shop has nothing to do with the public library or taxes,(not that you pay taxes in Elmhurst anyway if your screen name says Skokie...) the coffee shop pays rent to the library.
That may be...I said I don't care if they sell pastries and we all pay taxes to the State, regardless of where we live.
Simmons

Naperville, IL

#13 Apr 7, 2009
reza santorini wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be...I said I don't care if they sell pastries and we all pay taxes to the State, regardless of where we live.
We are all going to be paying our last nickel to the state if the scumbags in Springfield get their way -- which they undoubtedly will.
Rico Tubbs

Naperville, IL

#14 Jul 28, 2009
I see the order is no longer serving coffee and pastries at the Elmhurst Public Library. Does anyone know the story behind this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Noise from new O'Hare runway angers Park Ridge ... (Dec '08) Fri Penny 198
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Thu SisterMarie 109
News Alleged Prostitute Accused Of Solicting On Web (Sep '06) Aug 15 Colleen 14
NAZIS IN WILMETTE! patrick langballe gets arres... (Dec '10) Aug 13 DadDumpsMomforSec... 3
Poll What about the loss of Elliott's Dairy? (Mar '10) Aug 4 Agnese 56
Robberies Aug 4 Fed up cracka 1
River Grove Library (Feb '11) Aug 2 Lowest of Them All 78

Wilmette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmette Mortgages