Woman says Northbrook art dealer took...

Woman says Northbrook art dealer took $150,000 worth of paintin...

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 25, 2008, titled Woman says Northbrook art dealer took $150,000 worth of paintin.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A woman told police that a Northbrook art dealer closed shop and disappeared with $150,000 worth of her paintings, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 25, 2008
"Police on Wednesday said attempts to contact the owner failed." And given usual levels of police effort, probably will continue to fail.

Is the art dealer that anonymous? Is the art that untraceable? At the claimed value, who were the artists?

#2 Sep 25, 2008
And this is...news?
Fibune - get a grip!

Oak Lawn, IL

#6 Dec 9, 2008
This guy is on the run from the feds.. James Kennedy, a Northbrook art dealer, was among seven individuals indicted last week in an international fraud ring.His attorney, Michael Mann, said his client was drunk and upset when he made the January call and hadn't really used any language that was directly threatening to Michael Zabrin, who was working undercover for federal authorities. Zabrin, an art distributor also based in Northbrook, was charged as well last week. But the judge quoted a passage from the undercover tape in which Kennedy threatened to beat up Zabrin."How about that language?" she said.
Assistant U.S. Atty. Nancy Miller noted that Kennedy faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted and that the scheme involved millions in losses. The ring sold fake limited-edition prints of fine art. To hoodwink buyers, they sometimes handed out certificates that purported to prove authenticity, but those too were fraudulent, authorities said.Miller said Kennedy already had been confronted by federal agents about the alleged wrongdoing when he made the angry phone call, a fact that Kendall said weighed on her decision to find him too dangerous to be released. Kennedy, who has been in custody since January when he was initially charged with threatening Zabrin, pleaded not guilty Monday to the broader fraud charges.
Michael Kelly

Dublin, Ireland

#7 Sep 26, 2013
I am one of the victims of this fraudster. Is there any way I can get my money back?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Piltavar 22 hr The Real Thing 6
News Alleged Prostitute Accused Of Solicting On Web (Sep '06) Oct 20 Colleen 8
Retail space Oct 17 Treeangel 1
News Teens turn unoccupied Winnetka home into party ... (Feb '09) Jun '16 Tom Hastings 284
Sex addiction Jun '16 Captain Cocksmith 2
Teen in diaper May '16 Food Issues 2
News Wilmette: A small-town oasis on the North Shore (Jun '08) Jan '16 What WHAT 23

Wilmette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wilmette Mortgages