Banker Accused Of Filching $20,000 For Engagement Ring

Full story: NBC 5 Chicago

Police said a northwest suburban man took personal banking to a new level, stealing almost $66,000 from a former Chase Bank customer.
Comments
61 - 74 of 74 Comments Last updated Jan 10, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
St Mary

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

jesus loves you wrote:
i hope phil comes back to god through all this.
Apparently god is not on his side. This is not something that he did for the first time. He must have done something like this before to think he would get away with it again. Who can trust a man that steals from the elderly?? Shame on you!! To his fiancee: If he stole from a helpless , trusting old woman, what makes you think he won't deceive you. You deserve better!
Kichul Pak

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

The CRAZIEST thing is this guy was my SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER at SUNG MIN PRESBYTERIAN CHURH. NO LIE!!!!!
Eddie

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

This guy used to be the youth pastor at the church I used to attend. This is the last person I would expect to do something like this. Every sunday he was the guy leading the worship.
eee

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Why do people feel it is necessary to stand up for people just because they are the same ethnicity or because it was some guy they grew up with? The only person who deserves sympathy is the victim.
He should've realized he'd never get away with it.
This was a pretty dumb crime that nobody who is thinking clearly would think they would get away with it. He must've been pretty desperate. I mean, 20K on a goddamn ring? I think he was just getting started.

And all these religious people using this opportunity to spread their Jesus message, that's really pathetic.
Belita

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Phil, You are in my prayers. Ask GOD for forgiveness and Get back to the Senior Citizens thru letter or e-mail and ask for forgiveness you need to let her know that you are truly sorry. All you can do is learn from this and know the easy way out is not always the correct way. You have no need to impress anyone. Only buy what you can afford. Know that GOD still Loves you! GOD hates Sin but not the person that SIN.
Luci

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2008

NO MATTER HOW YOU SAY IT, THIS MAN PLANNED & EXCECUETED A CRIME UPON ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. HE MUST SUFFER THE COSEQUENCES OF HIS DELIBERATE EVIL ACT. NO EXCUSES. YES, MANY OF YOU NAIVE FOLKS CALL FOR FORGIVENESS, WOULD YOU USE THIS ACT AS A LEARNING EXPERIANCE FOR YOUR CHILD? WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THE STOLEN MONEY BELONGED TO YOU ? OMG, WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO. WHERE IS THE GOLDEN RULE ? THIS MAN OBVIOUSLY KNEW WHAT HE DID WAS NOT ONLY SINFUL, BUT A SERIOUS CRIME. YOUTH MINISTER, NOT.!!! FOR MY KIDS.
Mike Jones

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

Slant eyed chinaman. Pathetic. I cant wait till my boy Tyrone makes him his fiancee down at county
dude

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2008

wow, this is old but ya'll asian/korean/christians that defend this douche would say the same like this if some well known white/black atheist zealot did the same to an old helpless Asian lady who serves at church?
if you wanna tell him to seek god, do it in person instead of feeling like a saint doing some random posting like this. he's out on bail, probably take couple years to get convicted while the old lady wouldn't see a penny of the money he stole before dying. and stfu, jesuses, people can judge, it's called free will.
leo

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

does anyone know what happened to this guy? did he actually get prosecuted? or did he get off? just curious.
wtf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

this IS an old post, but it continues to garner interesting comments. i think i know why. within the christian/korean community something like this was always bound to happen. they are so unbelievably performance/success driven that looking successful and having money is all consuming and i think koreans are enthralled with this story because secretly think what he did was forgivable. this fella would rather steal to get a fancy diamond ring (probably because she expected it)for his fiance than just ask her to marry him - like most normal human beings do. i notice the koreans commenting in these posts hardly ever talk about the old lady filched of her 66,000 dollars. my guess is they partly don't care really cause she wasn't korean anyway and koreans need to stick together. good grief. say what you want, but i've seen this attitude and even heard it here in these posts. i've watched this from the sidelines and it's awefull. the whole thing is mired now in a legal battle cause mr. kwon, still trying to keep up appearances, just won't do the right thing and do what he has to do to pay the lady back and do what he has to do to make it right.
wtfisclueless

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Wtf, please get a clue before posting such nonsense.
jesus christ

Harwood Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2010

who did what to whom, yo?
HKJ

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2011

Does it better to cover up what your own race did? Pointing out what is right and wrong whether its your own race or not is the right thing to do, no? As a Korean person, I would like to say that what he did was wrong and I feel really sorry for the old lady. I hope Phil got some spanks and paid all the money back to the lady. Given support as being same race? NO, either it's white/black/asian, Korean too needs to admit wrong doing if their own race made a mistake! So shame! what is your parents teaching you!!
phil kwon where is he now

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

so... what happened to him? he's still roaming the streets.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wilmette Discussions

Search the Wilmette Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 48,894
Police reports: Lake in the Hills, Cary, Lakemo... (Mar '08) 6 hr No One special 49
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr AnyCommieWillDoCantBWorse 3,829
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 20 hr KrisChristie 1,856
Officials: Mariano's looking to build in Des Pl... Wed Beyonce's Weave 4
Victim in Tuesday's Skokie Shooting is Identified Wed bensleys thoughts 1
Police Blotter (Jun '10) Wed mewxico bOy 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Wilmette Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••