UPS in WS opening ALL packages!

Posted in the Willow Springs Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Oh No

United States

#1 Dec 3, 2010
Went down to the UPS center on Frisco in Willow Springs to drop off a package. A few other customers were there... and the UPS guys were opening everyone's packages.

Needless to say I was a bit surprised by this... and a little peeved also because I'd packed and packaged this item very carefully (packing/strapping tape as we all know is VERY expensive!). I had packed my inner packages well too, but they were all also sliced open (not very carefully, either).

The UPS guy (Fred Steinhauser) stated that it is "UPS policy to open every package that comes across the counter". Well, I disagreed with this statement, so called UPS Corporate who said that it is NOT the policy to open ALL packages - they have a policy that allows them to check/open packages, mostly (like at the airports) to spot-check questionable packages or those that have liquids or ammo (for instance).

I spoke with two individuals at a high level in UPS. I also filed a complaint against Fred as well because of his rude, abrasive, curt, and patronizing manner to me and the person who dropped off my package. Fred was very unprofessional to each of the customers, ripping open their packages in front of everyone and going through each item and doing an inventory! I don't know about you, but for me personally having some stranger go through my belongings is embarrassing no matter what the contents; in this case, it wasn't anything personal (thank goodness! I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had been shipping underwear [or even more intimate and personal items than that!!], however the uncomfortable feeling was still there.

In a followup phone call with the supervisor, Fred Steinhauser [which I recorded], I asked about this incident and he told me (very rudely) that it is UPS policy, that he was the one opening the packages, and that he intends to open EACH AND EVERY package that comes across his counter. I asked him to quote the directive or policy number where I can find this "policy", because I've never seen it. He could not - and would not - saying instead that he'd "have someone call me with that info", and then hung up. Rude, rude, rude!

So, after confirming with UPS that it is a "spot check" thing and not an "every package" policy, I report Mr. Steinhauser. UPS felt that if he was doing this that it was not with their knowledge or with their approval; UPS says that it was also not acceptable "service" to their customers and it does not support the kind of conduct that is conducive to their desire of maintaining a 'world class' service reputation. Both UPS reps assured me they would look into the problem, and the second rep took my report and complaint.

Bear in mind that I don’t have anything to hide, and while I understand the need for ‘spot checks’ for security purposes and such, Fred’s alleged ‘policy’ of opening each and every package is absolutely not UPS’s policy (according to UPS, it is apparently Fred’s personal ‘policy’ and not something UPS is aware of and/or condoning). And if Fred is going to do that, they should have another area set aside (like they do in airports), if they’re going to open and/or inventory your package.

I hope Mr. Fred Steinhauser gets relieved of his duties there - treating customers like he has is unacceptable, and his pushing of a policy like he has is also not within UPS guidelines but against UPS’ accepted standards of that policy. I believe Fred is on his own little power trip, and does this because he likes to make people uncomfortable and put them out.

Meanwhile, until Fred is gone or changes his attitude, I might suggest that unless you want all of your carefully-packed packages sliced open, have an inventory performed of each item, and have it all done in front of everyone, that you take your packages elsewhere. I called 5 other UPS places in the area, and NONE of them have a policy of opening packages. Personally for me, the post office is looking better right now!

Since: May 10

Willow Springs

#2 Dec 3, 2010
Sounds to me like you have a problem with Fred, and are on a personal vendetta to get him fired. The amount of time and energy you have spend with numerous supervisors and other UPS locations, looks like you are obsessive. I would think that once it has been reported, and 'a' supervisor has assured you that your report has been taken, and it will be investigated, that you are wasting your time, and numerous other peoples time, by ranting. Yes, he ticked you off. UPS will investigate. If he is breaking rules, or he begins to lose them business, they will take care of the matter. You are only hurting yourself by not letting this go. You are throwing this mans name around and seething anger all over the place. Anger and hatred will only eat you up.
Say What

Solo, MO

#3 Dec 3, 2010
1Sneaker wrote:
Sounds to me like you have a problem with Fred, and are on a personal vendetta to get him fired. The amount of time and energy you have spend with numerous supervisors and other UPS locations, looks like you are obsessive. I would think that once it has been reported, and 'a' supervisor has assured you that your report has been taken, and it will be investigated, that you are wasting your time, and numerous other peoples time, by ranting. Yes, he ticked you off. UPS will investigate. If he is breaking rules, or he begins to lose them business, they will take care of the matter. You are only hurting yourself by not letting this go. You are throwing this mans name around and seething anger all over the place. Anger and hatred will only eat you up.
You have been watching too much Dr. Phil. I would also be pissed off if someone was opening my packages and rifleing through them.
Dum-dum wants gum gum

United States

#4 Dec 3, 2010
If it's ups policy to spot check, wouldn't it be illegal to serch everyones packages?

Willow Springs

#5 Dec 3, 2010
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>You have been watching too much Dr. Phil. I would also be pissed off if someone was opening my packages and rifleing through them.
I would also. However, at some point, you need to get on with life.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Oh No

Sparta, MO

#6 Dec 3, 2010
1Sneaker wrote:
Sounds to me like you have a problem with Fred, and are on a personal vendetta to get him fired....
Yes, I did have a problem with Fred - Fred is not the kind of person that most folks want to deal with, nor should they have to be subjected to. And if more people stand up against "service" and treatment like this, perhaps we wouldn't be made to tolerate it as we have.

I am very much in hopes that UPS does look into the matter. Meanwhile, I hope that Fred sees that his manner and methods are being watched and reported, and that he will (if he's a decent person) see the error of his ways, make amends, and do what is right. BTW, his assurances of "someone will call you back" on my questioning about the "policy" has not been fulfilled (as I didn't think it would).

As far as my reporting it and "letting it go", I most certainly am not going to do that, mostly because the wheels of big corporations turn quite slow - but as you may have heard, since the squeaky wheel gets the grease, the only way to really assure that something is attentioned is to speak about it. I'm sure most people with a mindset of standing up for what's right would agree. And if by my expending a little time and energy doing so helps right a wrong, then all the better.

You said I was "wasting your time, and numerous other peoples time, by ranting", well, first of all it was my time to waste, and secondly you surely do not have to read my "rant"... feel free to go about your merry way. However, as is apparent by other people's opinion on this type of subject, most people ARE concerned about things like this and would like to see change. As I mentioned, I'm not against "spot checks” for security purposes, I’d just like to see someone else that doesn’t have such a Gestapo-like temperament doing it.

You also stated,“If he is breaking rules, or he begins to lose them business, they will take care of the matter.” Again, that is the mindset that harms everyone; if people never say or do anything to try and make bad things better, who are we then but a bunch of sheep? This saying is brought to mind:“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”. I refuse to be put into that category as I do have ethics, morals, and standards, and I will stand up for and defend what I believe to be right – and I highly respect others that feel likewise… regardless of whether they are of the same opinion or not. It’s just the ones who continue with their apathetic ways that will be the end of us all. Just because Fred breaks the rules or loses UPS business does not guarantee “they will take care of the matter”… if nobody reports there being a problem, there won’t be a resolution. UPS might be a lot of things, but psychic they’re not.

(continued…)
Oh No

Sparta, MO

#7 Dec 3, 2010
(…continued)

And as far as my “throwing this mans name around and seething anger all over the place”, how do you figure that? I stated his name so when people go down to UPS they know who they can expect to deal with if they have the same problem we did – it’s not like I’m on tons of forums or other venues (that WOULD constitute “throwing” his name around); as far as “seething anger” goes, you seem to be a bit defensive there (are you Fred???), as I have merely stated facts as they happened and how our conversation went (of which I have a recording of that I played and submitted a copy of to UPS). Sure I was concerned about my packages being opened because I took great care to ensure all my packages were packed properly, and to have Fred then slice them all up, root through everything and take “inventory” was highly unnecessary (and of course considering the wasted tape, time, and effort on my part). Not to mention his attitude while he did it, plus on the phone with me later. Unsettled perhaps, but seething? I don’t think so, not me anyway. If anyone was “seething” it was good ol’ Fred. And the only reason I called around to the other UPS stores was to confirm what I already suspected (it was, indeed, not “policy”); I did not want to report Fred if I found it to be a viable UPS policy. I researched my facts before I followed through. Simple.

Thank you for your concern about my health, 1Sneaker, but rest assured I am not “hurting” myself at all; on the contrary, I feel quite good that by my reporting this issue I may bring to light someone who is not following/applying proper methods and procedures as well as a person with a bad attitude and poor customer service (and it makes it even more troubling that he is in a position of authority). Perhaps more of us should lighten the burdens we bear by letting loose a bit, not taking “crap”, and try righting a few wrongs? It is very liberating… try it sometime.:-)
Billy B

Ozark, MO

#8 Dec 4, 2010
So what, get a grip man, you would like to cause this man to loose his job. People offend all of us. Trying to get revenge is not Biblical and is childish. You sound mentally weak as though you need help. You causing a man to loose his job is far worse that someone inspecting our packages just to protect you and I. I wouldn't be mailing things that would be embracing for you. I hope Fred don't loose his job and we would like you to apologize to Fred and this forum.
who

Branson, MO

#9 Dec 4, 2010
Billy B wrote:
So what, get a grip man, you would like to cause this man to loose his job. People offend all of us. Trying to get revenge is not Biblical and is childish. You sound mentally weak as though you need help. You causing a man to loose his job is far worse that someone inspecting our packages just to protect you and I. I wouldn't be mailing things that would be embracing for you. I hope Fred don't loose his job and we would like you to apologize to Fred and this forum.
you need to grow up.if this person is abuseing company policy then he needs to be replaced(fired).he doesn`t need to be around the general public.are you by any chance fred??????
Dum-dum wants gum gum

United States

#10 Dec 4, 2010
I don't even use the willow store because of the hours that they are open. I find that tje brown store in the strip mall at walmarts in west plains easier for me or use the post office.
ohhh

Ozark, MO

#11 Dec 4, 2010
if he treats his customers this bad -- how does he treat his employees? they have a bad enough time this time of year without working for a unreasonable supervisor?
Howelling at the moon

United States

#12 Dec 4, 2010
I haven't used them lately, but unless they have changed their hours, it's hard for me to get their in the evenings. Its my busy time trying to get dinner and get the kids to do homework ect. Then I have to stop all that, load everything up and then get service like that! I don't think so. Even the federal government dosent open all packages!!!!
jake2

Warrenton, MO

#13 Dec 4, 2010
I agree--there comes a time you have to take a stand!
Might be something little to some, but to one person--IT'S ENOUGH!

Myself,I dislike arrogance, which sounds as if this man, whom I don't know, needs to be taken down a peg.
fine job!

Willow Springs

#14 Dec 8, 2010
Take a stand. Tell someone that can do something about it. The get over it. It will eat you up! Look around. Endlessly continuing to rant make you look mentally challenged. Then no one will take you seriously. What happens the next time you have a problem? People wont listen to a thing you have to say.

Willow Springs

#15 Dec 8, 2010
Just a side note, the ABC News tickers stated that UPS will now be requiring photo id to ship packages.
former resident

Tampa, FL

#16 Dec 9, 2010
why bother to package anything, let ups package it if they want to open everything! How many people have been treated like this that haven't said anything. Some body needs to take a stand. I don't want to be felt of at the airport either. That would be concidered molesting anyother place! we have a right to privacy!
ralph

Ozark, MO

#17 Dec 12, 2010
1Sneaker wrote:
Take a stand. Tell someone that can do something about it. The get over it. It will eat you up! Look around. Endlessly continuing to rant make you look mentally challenged. Then no one will take you seriously. What happens the next time you have a problem? People wont listen to a thing you have to say.
Its actually been proven that to vent (or, rant, in your opinion) is good, it gets it out of your system. Thats part of the *getting over it* process. Sounds like you're the one who can't let go? The OP stated what appears to be facts, as well as his/her opinion. I commend them for that, and I also wish more people would take a stand for what they believe in. And even better, follow up and see that it is taken seriously because too often even though you complain to someone who can do something about it, most times they don't. To the OP: what is the status of your reporting this person?

And by the way, I don't think anyone would have a problem with UPS asking to see photo ID. Not sure why they're doing that, but I don't see it as a problem so I'm trying to figure out why you mention it?
Jack

West Plains, MO

#18 Dec 16, 2010
I just use the Post Office. They do not open any of the packages, and they are open much more convenient hours.
shortcake

West Plains, MO

#19 Dec 22, 2010
If you don't like the hrs UPS is open that is why they have in almost every town a UPS store and for a small fee they will wrap it for you..... UPS don't own the stores by they way. Also how do you know they open EVERY package unless you were standing there all the hrs open to watch and see if he was opening them.....you may have just been one they randomly checked....
Sounds more like you have a vendetta with Fred. To try and get him fired......seeing you knew his name so well.
In this day and time with so many crazies out there ( possibly like you) we need the extra security when sending pkgs. I would hate to think that my brother is out there delivering a pkg that might blow up his truck.... and no I am not Fred's sister.
UPS is listed as the No.1 job for stress because they are on a tight schedule to make sure your pkg is delivered on time...sometimes during the holidays they put in as much as 14 and 15 hrs to do that.........
so grow up..... you filed your complaint now let it go or follow up on it but til you get a answer from them quit bashing him. you are only hurting yourself. what goes around comes around.
leroy

West Plains, MO

#20 Dec 22, 2010
shortcake wrote:
If you don't like the hrs UPS is open that is why they have in almost every town a UPS store and for a small fee they will wrap it for you..... UPS don't own the stores by they way. Also how do you know they open EVERY package unless you were standing there all the hrs open to watch and see if he was opening them.....you may have just been one they randomly checked....
Sounds more like you have a vendetta with Fred. To try and get him fired......seeing you knew his name so well.
In this day and time with so many crazies out there ( possibly like you) we need the extra security when sending pkgs. I would hate to think that my brother is out there delivering a pkg that might blow up his truck.... and no I am not Fred's sister.
UPS is listed as the No.1 job for stress because they are on a tight schedule to make sure your pkg is delivered on time...sometimes during the holidays they put in as much as 14 and 15 hrs to do that.........
so grow up..... you filed your complaint now let it go or follow up on it but til you get a answer from them quit bashing him. you are only hurting yourself. what goes around comes around.
....and it sounds like it is coming around to Fred. I had a similar experience with Fred. I have turned him in to UPS corporate too. There are too many people who need a good job and they are very hard to come by right now. If he feels that he can be rude and hateful to customers then he has lost his rights to that job. Let someone else who needs it get it that appreciates their customers. Sorry, but I think he deserves what he gets.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willow Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amanda Hamilton Sat Judgeyyyy 11
Darren Apr 29 Enquiringmindswan... 7
In Memory Of..... (Jan '10) Apr 29 Enquiringmindswan... 288
Haley Porter Apr 28 Haley Porter 2
Kevan and Lisa Smith affair!! Apr 25 informant 2
Destiny Morgan?? Apr 25 No name 3
Places To Rent.! Apr 24 Looking 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willow Springs Mortgages