Is Midlothian the next Detriot

Posted in the Willow Springs Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

midlothian

#1 Jul 26, 2013
Our streets have temporary patch work if that - To many empty businesses and homes - the businesses that do open are cash for gold or liquor stores. Not the type that promotes jobs or anything of real use - to many store have been vacate for over five years

in debt way over the ability to pay - Population getting older and leaving or dying - the kids have moved to other villages
As the tax base shrinks the taxes go up for the remaining population

Gang activity is more noticeable - petty crime increase - and some increase in major crimes

I don't have any great ideas to change the situation and realize that this did not happen over night and can't be remedied in a hour

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#2 Jul 26, 2013
Most of what you say I agree with, but I think comparing us to Detroit is quite a stretch.
what

Alsip, IL

#3 Jul 30, 2013
by saying that you would imply that Midlothian had billions of dollars pouring through it at one time & innovative creative minds that revolutionized industries that grew up & built business in their hometown...I didn't know Midlothian ever came close to De'troit?
Detroit & New Orleans are a reflection of the downward spiral of America & yet everyone doesn't care...much like this Village...
man

Midlothian, IL

#4 Jul 30, 2013
This is a dumb topic, dumb dumb dumb. Cant even compare the two. What are you 10 years old?
Midlo Resident

Orland Park, IL

#5 Jul 31, 2013
man wrote:
This is a dumb topic, dumb dumb dumb. Cant even compare the two. What are you 10 years old?
Funny, this response sounds more like that of a 10 year, than the topic.

I agree it is a stretch to compare the two, but I also get what the poster is saying. I have watched the decline since I moved in 11 years ago. It was gradual at first, but now it seems out of control. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure many disagree.

I do know I am happy that I was able to move. I wasn't feeling safe anymore & I didn't want my children growing up where I wasn't comfortable.

Since: Aug 09

United States

#6 Jul 31, 2013
There are thousands of towns/villages that resemble Midlothian across the US now. The biggest problem we have is that when Rich Daley closed the projects, a LOT of those folks found their way to our town.
Come back

Midlothian, IL

#7 Jul 31, 2013
Actually I here Detroit is making somewhat of a come back let's hope we do too.Its a long road ahead but if we stick together and our officials help keep the undesirables off our streets we may have a chance. Spend your money here as much as you can hardwarestore groceries gas fast food keep your money in town maybe we can flourish again.
Midlo Resident

Orland Park, IL

#8 Jul 31, 2013
Come back wrote:
Actually I here Detroit is making somewhat of a come back let's hope we do too.Its a long road ahead but if we stick together and our officials help keep the undesirables off our streets we may have a chance. Spend your money here as much as you can hardwarestore groceries gas fast food keep your money in town maybe we can flourish again.
Hard to spend money in a town, when all the business are closed or closing.
The Emperor

Frankfort, IL

#9 Jul 31, 2013
pnt_man wrote:
Our streets have temporary patch work if that - To many empty businesses and homes - the businesses that do open are cash for gold or liquor stores. Not the type that promotes jobs or anything of real use - to many store have been vacate for over five years
in debt way over the ability to pay - Population getting older and leaving or dying - the kids have moved to other villages
As the tax base shrinks the taxes go up for the remaining population
Gang activity is more noticeable - petty crime increase - and some increase in major crimes
I don't have any great ideas to change the situation and realize that this did not happen over night and can't be remedied in a hour
If you actually look at the UCR's crime is down in Midlothian. The sky is not falling.
Midlo Resident

Orland Park, IL

#10 Aug 1, 2013
The Emperor wrote:
<quoted text>If you actually look at the UCR's crime is down in Midlothian. The sky is not falling.
It's down because nothing ever makes the news in Midlo. Everything is always "hush-hush".

midlothian

#11 Aug 1, 2013
man wrote:
Seems I got you to respond

You want comparisons

Five years ago you never saw homeless people wandering around and sleeping on benches

There wasn't a vacant house on nearly every block

property values were stable not in decline

Taxes were not as high as now -

The village did not tax everything possible

Village was not 12 million in debt

Cash for gold and liquor store were not considered to be part of a growing economy

a cheap sex motel is not the same as a name hotel - even Alsip has quality hotels - Alsip has a good business base that this village lacks

Where do you shop for groceries? Oak Forest? Crestwood? not in midlo except if you need milk or bread

I'll bet you go Crestwood for a hardware store not to Grills except for a some small cheap thing for a quick fix

And Terry talked about bankruptcy not to the public but to a few people in his close circle of fellow spenders

the village is broke - can not afford to fix things properly -
Half ass fixes don't work

Look at the cities in California that went under - it wasn't neglect it was stupid self center elected official that drove them broke - Detroit was that and more - Midlothian is somewhere in the middle of the two but still heading towards filing for bankruptcy

You think we have had financial people running this town
Jackie balanced Tom's check book - Terry spent village money faster than you could pay your taxes - and the merry band of six that still happen to be there went right along with it

BOB

Girard, OH

#12 Aug 1, 2013
Dutch Oven Chef wrote:
There are thousands of towns/villages that resemble Midlothian across the US now. The biggest problem we have is that when Rich Daley closed the projects, a LOT of those folks found their way to our town.
They were steered to your town by the powers that be.
sort of

Midlothian, IL

#13 Aug 1, 2013
pnt_man wrote:
<quoted text>Seems I got you to respond

You want comparisons

Five years ago you never saw homeless people wandering around and sleeping on benches

There wasn't a vacant house on nearly every block

property values were stable not in decline

Taxes were not as high as now -

The village did not tax everything possible

Village was not 12 million in debt

Cash for gold and liquor store were not considered to be part of a growing economy

a cheap sex motel is not the same as a name hotel - even Alsip has quality hotels - Alsip has a good business base that this village lacks

Where do you shop for groceries? Oak Forest? Crestwood? not in midlo except if you need milk or bread

I'll bet you go Crestwood for a hardware store not to Grills except for a some small cheap thing for a quick fix

And Terry talked about bankruptcy not to the public but to a few people in his close circle of fellow spenders

the village is broke - can not afford to fix things properly -
Half ass fixes don't work

Look at the cities in California that went under - it wasn't neglect it was stupid self center elected official that drove them broke - Detroit was that and more - Midlothian is somewhere in the middle of the two but still heading towards filing for bankruptcy

You think we have had financial people running this town
Jackie balanced Tom's check book - Terry spent village money faster than you could pay your taxes - and the merry band of six that still happen to be there went right along with it
I agree with most of what you are saying. There were definitely problems with the administration. However, I feel a lot of things were also kept from the board or as you call them " the merry band of six". First, one of those trustees wasn't involved until very recently. I don't think he is as accountable as the rest. Second, there were private deals being made that completely circumvented the board. Tom and Terry made a private land deal AND filed with the county on a piece of land that the village board never vacated or voted on. The current administration is currently uncovering a lot of stuff that doesn't seem right. Hopefully we all get the real story of how these guys took care of themselves and their friends and didn't care one bit about our fine village.
Crime is on the rise

Midlothian, IL

#14 Aug 1, 2013
The Emperor wrote:
<quoted text>
If you actually look at the UCR's crime is down in Midlothian. The sky is not falling.
UCR codes are a manipulated system which allow local governments to keep their reported crimes at or below the prior years levels. Look at Crestwood and see that they have very few retail thefts. If you believe it then you probably actually do believe that crime is down in Midlothian.
heard

Chicago, IL

#15 Aug 1, 2013
Not sure about Detroit. Maybe harvey

midlothian

#16 Aug 2, 2013
sort of wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with most of what you are saying. There were definitely problems with the administration. However, I feel a lot of things were also kept from the board or as you call them " the merry band of six". First, one of those trustees wasn't involved until very recently. I don't think he is as accountable as the rest. Second, there were private deals being made that completely circumvented the board. Tom and Terry made a private land deal AND filed with the county on a piece of land that the village board never vacated or voted on. The current administration is currently uncovering a lot of stuff that doesn't seem right. Hopefully we all get the real story of how these guys took care of themselves and their friends and didn't care one bit about our fine village.
Tom - Mo - Terry and Wilkins all knew what was going on

they sold bonds for a water tower

two question - where is the tower? where is the money?

Terry wins - buys all the useless property in Midlothian takes it off the tax rolls

Terry claims it for the water tower and the new business coming into town

three questions

where did the money come from? where's the tower? what new business?

Terry built a gazebo - maybe we can put a liner in it and call it a water tower

I have yet to hear any of the "merry band of six " question anything about how we got in this mess

one question -
where's the investigation?

Imagine that

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2013
Move over Midlo - Oak Forest may have you beat. All the businesses worth anything are west of us. We have a do nothing mayor, do nothing economic development coordinator, and no real plan for our community except to wring our hands and cry out about the economy. Detroit may be worse but only because it is bigger. Section 8 housing, crimes involving guns, and shops that look like they belong in the seedy part of Las Vegas do not help to attract anything good. We are lucky to get cash for gold or tattoo places.
sort of

United States

#18 Aug 2, 2013
pnt_man wrote:
<quoted text>Tom - Mo - Terry and Wilkins all knew what was going on

they sold bonds for a water tower

two question - where is the tower? where is the money?

Terry wins - buys all the useless property in Midlothian takes it off the tax rolls

Terry claims it for the water tower and the new business coming into town

three questions

where did the money come from? where's the tower? what new business?

Terry built a gazebo - maybe we can put a liner in it and call it a water tower

I have yet to hear any of the "merry band of six " question anything about how we got in this mess

one question -
where's the investigation?
Yes they did and thankfully they aren't on the board anymore.
I believe some people are asking some pretty serious questions at this time.
We should be getting answers soon. There is a lot wrong up there and digging out of Tom and Terry's mess is going to take some time.
Stand by...
Gonzo

Midlothian, IL

#19 Aug 2, 2013
How about Mr. Hanson he has replaced over half of the Public Works Dept. equipment. He gets whatever he wants.

He is also one of the top paid employees of the village.

midlothian

#20 Aug 3, 2013
sort of wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they did and thankfully they aren't on the board anymore.
I believe some people are asking some pretty serious questions at this time.
We should be getting answers soon. There is a lot wrong up there and digging out of Tom and Terry's mess is going to take some time.
Stand by...
They may not be on the board but they still are walking the streets

Nice try at deflection

Just who asking any questions - the only positive move has been Sharon calling them out on the outright abuse over the ten dollar sale -

Why not go to a village meeting and ask the sitting board member who would have gained from the transfer of property what he knew -

How about asking the trustee that ran with Ryan - Murawski and Stephens and in the last election succeeded in the appearance of running with Sharon

She the longest serving board member at this time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willow Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Koi top he kya 23 min Rahul 412109 2
Bremen coach 4 hr tommy 25
Bremen basketball 11 hr Yepper 2
Former Midlothian cop convicted striking man wi... 18 hr Todd 7
Midlothian-Crestwood Police on Springfield Ave 20 hr Springfield 2
Chicago Ridge fire chief resigns, officials loo... 21 hr Wake up Chicago R... 25
Will Davies resign tonite or will he try to han... (Jul '13) 21 hr Barb 70
Willow Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Willow Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Willow Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Willow Springs

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:21 pm PST