Dems spar over Willow Grove air base ...

Dems spar over Willow Grove air base measure

There are 22 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 23, 2008, titled Dems spar over Willow Grove air base measure. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Spats on Capitol Hill tend to stick to the partisan variety. So Thursday's feud between Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Batter Up

Pipersville, PA

#1 May 23, 2008
Yeah, you wouldn't want to make an airport out of an airport now, would you? Thant might make too much sense.
KTH - In Horsham

Horsham, PA

#2 May 23, 2008
Batter Up wrote:
Yeah, you wouldn't want to make an airport out of an airport now, would you? Thant might make too much sense.
If you lived here, you would know that this "airport" is squeezed into a very tight space in Horsham. There have been military accidents over the years (due to malfunctioning equipment) but because of their excellent training, the accidents have not led to civilian deaths. I do not have the same confidence in commercial pilots who would most certainly be more careless. Before commenting on something you know nothing about, it would help if you researched it first, Mr. Ohio.
Billy Givens

Northampton, PA

#3 May 23, 2008
Take the naval airbase in Horsham as warning that the Lehigh Valley International Airport Authority (LVIAA) under the executive directorship of George Doubty and his second-in-command Larry Krauter with the full knowledge of the Forks Township supervisors are pressing forward with the Sullivan Trail expansion.

I warned this would happen when in a meeting in Forks Township lasting into the early hours of the morning state Senator Lisa Boscola brokered a deal deal brokered by state Senator Lisa Boscola brokered a deal that would perported limit the airstrip to its current configuration.

I knew then when the LVIAA bought the small Paul Braden-owned field that the purpose of the acquisition was to make it a magnate to draw federal FAA funds like metal shavings for the facility's expansion.

For those who think the real estate market is deflated now, and it patently is, just wait until the first phase of the expansion of the Forks Township facility is completed and in operation and the value and price of the residences abutting it have crashed.
Hilltown Pilot

Silverdale, PA

#4 May 23, 2008
Well put Batter Up!

KTH, don't like living near an airport? Don't move there!

Billy Givens, what does (1949 Ft runway)Braden Field have to do with Willow Grove NAS/JRB?

Please take the time to see what other communities have done when offered a Military Airfield, a good start would be Myrtle Beach, SC, before bad mouthing the great things Willow Grove might offer.
Interested

San Jose, CA

#5 May 23, 2008
KTH - In Horsham wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived here, you would know that this "airport" is squeezed into a very tight space in Horsham. There have been military accidents over the years (due to malfunctioning equipment) but because of their excellent training, the accidents have not led to civilian deaths. I do not have the same confidence in commercial pilots who would most certainly be more careless. Before commenting on something you know nothing about, it would help if you researched it first, Mr. Ohio.
Professionally flown civil aircraft have a far better accident rate tham military aviation for many reasons.
Local citizen and pilot

Philadelphia, PA

#6 May 23, 2008
It would seem KTH needs to do a bit of studying themselves as Interested has pointed out.

Batter up and Hilltown Pilot have it right. We the citizens of PA and specially those surrounding the Willow Grove facility will be squandering yet another resource and opportunity to improve our transportation infrastructure.

I suppose KTH would rather see another shopping mall or perhaps 4000 more homes dumping 10000 more cars on streets that can't handle the traffic today. Oh yes then raise taxes to build another school needed for the new families in the new homes.

If you don't like the airport, don't live next to it.
The Scotsman

Allentown, PA

#7 May 23, 2008
Please cite your sources.
Interested wrote:
<quoted text>
Professionally flown civil aircraft have a far better accident rate tham military aviation for many reasons.
The Scotsman

Allentown, PA

#8 May 23, 2008
We? You are in the minority and don't even try to tell me your not. We citizens who live close to Willow Grove were fine with the base when we moved there but a civilian airport is not the answer, not saying a mall or another housing development is, just saying a civilian airport is not what we want. I know, live less than 1/4 mile away for over 40 years.
Local citizen and pilot wrote:
It would seem KTH needs to do a bit of studying themselves as Interested has pointed out.
Batter up and Hilltown Pilot have it right. We the citizens of PA and specially those surrounding the Willow Grove facility will be squandering yet another resource and opportunity to improve our transportation infrastructure.
I suppose KTH would rather see another shopping mall or perhaps 4000 more homes dumping 10000 more cars on streets that can't handle the traffic today. Oh yes then raise taxes to build another school needed for the new families in the new homes.
If you don't like the airport, don't live next to it.
Hilltown Pilot

Silverdale, PA

#9 May 23, 2008
The Scotsman, what were you thinking when you moved there? Be Responsible for your actions.

Since the government already owns the land, how about a federal prison? Quiet, little traffic.
could be worse

Port Huron, MI

#10 May 24, 2008
I would rather see a homeland security base than say a hundred acres of low income housing or a prison.I don't see why people get freaked out after they moved close to the air base(airport).Maybe some saw the BRAC as a way to finally get rid of those dare-devils and their crazy flying machines.
KTH

Lansdale, PA

#11 May 24, 2008
To the "pilots" in this blog who are only thinking of themselves and do not reside in Horsham, PA - I have lived in Horsham all of my life - born here to be exact. I have enjoyed living here next to an efficiently run military operation. In fact, it was the silence of those planes on 9/11 that greatly impacted me as I have not lived a day in Horsham without hearing those planes. The silence was both eerie and deafening. To note, it is my preference to have Homeland Security to take over those lands, not malls, business parks, more housing or careless commercial or private pilots. Your remarks are made out of ignorance, selfishness and rudeness. I understand that you like to fly - just understand that I do not like to have you fly into my home or the homes of my family and neighbors. If given a choice to go down with your plane and avoid killing people or hitting the ejection button to save yourself and allowing your plane to crash into the population of Horsham - which would you chose? We had a military pilot that chose to go down with the plane and amazingly was able to crash the plane in a tiny wooded area. He lost his life but saved many. I am not sure that commercial or private pilots such as yourselves would make the same sacrifice - is your code of honor and discipline the same as the military? Are you willing to sacrifice yourself to save others?

Could be worse - The reason people got upset was because the miltary has provided a lot of commerce to the region. With the base empty of its employees - both civilan and military - the economy of Horsham may be thought to suffer. In addition, people were worried about what would become of the base - such as turning it into another business park, housing development or commercial/private airport. As residents of Horsham, we should certainly have a say in what happens as it could affect us for decades to come.
Hilltown Pilot

Silverdale, PA

#12 May 24, 2008
Please please be informed. Civilian aircraft are not equipped with ejection seats! We will be going down with the plane!

I have been living under the base to final GCA approach path at Willow Grove NAS for more than 20 years. And have worked in close proximity, I know the airfield.

My remarks are not made from selfishness, rudeness and far from ignorance.
Common Cents

Garnet Valley, PA

#13 May 26, 2008
It seems strange that SOME of the people residing near the Willow Grove Naval Air Station are so concerned about "accidents' and "planes flying into my house," when the major road (PA Route 611) in that same area has LARGE warning signs posted: "Beware of Aggressive Drivers."

I've lived in this area for over 40 years. There are a number of airports in Southeastern PA. I do not recall "planes flying into homes," but I do recall many deaths caused by auto accidents on a regular basis.

Hysteria aside, I believe an airport would probably be one of the safest alternatives for development.
Common Cents

Garnet Valley, PA

#14 May 26, 2008
KTH - In Horsham wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems strange that SOME of the people residing near the Willow Grove Naval Air Station are so concerned about "accidents' and "planes flying into my house," when the major road (PA Route 611) in that same area has LARGE warning signs posted: "Beware of Aggressive Drivers."

I've lived in this area for over 40 years. There are a number of airports in Southeastern PA. I do not recall "planes flying into homes," but I do recall many deaths caused by auto accidents on a regular basis.

Hysteria aside, I believe an airport would probably be one of the safest alternatives for development.
Common Cents

Garnet Valley, PA

#15 May 26, 2008
I don't live in Ambler
squeezed

Port Huron, MI

#16 Jun 3, 2008
KTH - In Horsham wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived here, you would know that this "airport" is squeezed into a very tight space in Horsham. There have been military accidents over the years (due to malfunctioning equipment) but because of their excellent training, the accidents have not led to civilian deaths. I do not have the same confidence in commercial pilots who would most certainly be more careless. Before commenting on something you

know nothing about, it would help if you

researched it first, Mr. Ohio.
I have lived in Horsham for years ,and it seems to me that Horsham, Warrington etc. have squeezed developments too close to the base.Safety for all should have been the decisions made not increasing the tax base and waiting for NAS JRB to be closed.
bill

Sewell, NJ

#17 Jun 4, 2008
Read the BRAC Report: the Army is moving on to the main base in large numbers. an airfield will be needed to suport them and also if an light aircraft overhaul/repair center is set up for private aircraft. they will fly in get overhauled and fly home, very light noise level and a lot of income. the idea of an airfield to support home land security is a graet idea. We need it and a large commercial center like phila internation is to congested for smaller and light aircraft that would be used.
People who live near a airfield now are thier by choice. and we should all think about national security and what is best use of the land for all not our self. I live nearby the field and see no problem in keep it as is.

Gene

Media, PA

#18 Jun 6, 2008
Ok people that are mad, and what the base to go due to noise or whatever and dont want an airport near, remember you moved there by choice and willow grove was there when you moved in (Airport) if you didnt expect things to fly why the hell did you move to this town, willow grove is in a great posotion near philly and other major cities, and is needed, why close Willow Grove NAS when they could use it for homeland secuitry hell bring in a lot of millitary aircraft the base is dead now could use some more planes and has a lot of empty tarmac space.
Mikie O

Philadelphia, PA

#19 May 11, 2009
Gene wrote:
Ok people that are mad, and what the base to go due to noise or whatever and dont want an airport near, remember you moved there by choice and willow grove was there when you moved in (Airport) if you didnt expect things to fly why the hell did you move to this town, willow grove is in a great posotion near philly and other major cities, and is needed, why close Willow Grove NAS when they could use it for homeland secuitry hell bring in a lot of millitary aircraft the base is dead now could use some more planes and has a lot of empty tarmac space.
Exactly Gene
Amanda

Laurel, MD

#20 Jun 29, 2009
I just hope they make it a DHS facility, closer to home for me to go to work and protect you angry, bitter people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willow Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chemist admits stabbing coworker (Sep '09) Feb '18 Do The Time Dumbo 4
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Jenkintown (Mar '17) Oct '17 Chickagirl 11
News Sex offender law coming to town (Oct '08) Sep '17 No name 33
Old picture Ice skating in willow grove (Aug '17) Aug '17 Jared 2
News Montco sheriff gets spotlight in Allentown corr... (Aug '17) Aug '17 weaponX 1
News Matthew Fox's Birthday (Jul '07) Jul '17 Natalie Pagano 4
2 for 1 (May '17) May '17 MFF maybe 1

Willow Grove Jobs

Personal Finance

Willow Grove Mortgages