Humboldt homeless count expands coverage

There are 20 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jan 26, 2009, titled Humboldt homeless count expands coverage. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

As local governments work toward providing state-mandated homeless services zones, the Humboldt Housing and Homeless Coalition plans to conduct a more inclusive count that could be used to determine future ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Redway Woods

United States

#1 Jan 26, 2009
Congratulations on a good and informative article. I am so glad S2 passed. Finally we can do something real for the homeless without the inevitable whiners and hate mongers butting in - though it looks like Eureka, with its public meetings, is still trying to stir the mobs.
Ronald Reagan created the homeless to insure more money for the rich. All the Repubs really want is for the homeless to go die.
EHSclassOf72

San Jose, CA

#2 Jan 26, 2009
Your so right... The more I look into Ronald Reagan the more I understand just how horrible that man was for the everyday people of our country.
I am just shocked at what he did and what he
got away with.
josh

Chico, CA

#4 Jan 26, 2009
Wasted money on a wasted lot of dopers and alcoholics. Go to LA or Florida where the weather is better or better yet..........to Arizona.
I only feel sorry for homeless men who have served our country and got caught up in mental and physical issures!
Most get SSI , spend it on alcohol or drugs and dumpster dive for their food.
They are a sick bunch, for the most part, and should be put on an island by themselves.
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#5 Jan 26, 2009
This is all a big scam. This "Homeless Coalition" is going to have a survey & they benefit by having large numbers.

Why didn't the reporter ask for their definition of "Homeless" ? We know there isn't 500 adults & 200 children living in the bushes. Well I did what the reporter should have, I asked.

Their definition of homeless includes people who didn't live where they wanted to live. For example, if unmarried Suzy & her new baby were living with Aunt Margaret, the coalition counted Suzy & her baby as homeless ! If Tom was living at the Broadway motel, courtesy of the county, he was counted as homeless.
Hank the Man Called

San Carlos, CA

#6 Jan 26, 2009
Don't worry about a vagrant digging in your garbage-spray RAID in the cans, or sleeping in the bushes along she side of your house-piss on them first thing in the morning, or throw ice water on them; finally when they are busted sneaking in the back door-shoot there vagrant a##holes.
Mike

Saratoga, CA

#7 Jan 26, 2009
"Humboldt homeless count expands coverage"

Of course! That increases the likelihood of more taxpayer B-U-C-K-S!

S.F. blames out-of-towners for endless homeless problem

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...
Miss Hw

Sunnyvale, CA

#8 Jan 26, 2009
Does this suprise anyone? Maybe more help needs to go to keeping people IN homes they work hard for. Working class who live pay check to pay check and pay those taxes.
Rey

Eureka, CA

#9 Jan 26, 2009
When your degrading the quality of life in a community it's best not to allow their input, you may not like what you hear...
Ruben Botello

Haddonfield, NJ

#10 Jan 26, 2009
Dear President Obama:
I have been in and out of homelessness since being honorably discharged as a USMC Vietnam veteran in 1969. I wound up homeless then, in and out of homelessness with my two sons in the Eighties, and homeless on my own again in the Nineties.

I started the American Homeless Society in 1987 while my sons and I were homeless in California. I have been in several hunger strikes, marches and demonstrations for homeless rights since then but have seen little progress.

My longest hunger strike was 58 days against President Reagan's "trickle down" economic policies that created much more instead of less homelessness in our country. You now speak about fixing our nation's economy from the "bottom up," and that should mean you are starting by ending involuntary homelessness at the rock-bottom of our economy.

Philip Mangano has been promoting 10-year plans to end homelessness in major cities across the country on behalf of the Bush Administration for the past few years. We would hope and pray you make a similar commitment to abolish homelessness but throughout our nation, not just in individual cities because there are far more homeless than these urban plans will ever reach.

Slavery was abolished in America over a century ago; why not abolish homelessness today, Mr. Obama? Homelessness is just as bad as slavery in several ways and much worse in others.

Men, women and children from all the races, colors, cultures, nationalities, ethnicities, religions and creeds in our diverse society find themselves homeless daily. They are forced to endure harassment, discrimination and persecution in our nation today much like the slaves President Lincoln's armies fought to free in the Nineteenth Century.

America's homeless are also forced to endure nature’s harshest conditions without warm homes or shelter for protection; without good food and nutrition; without essential hygiene, medicine and healthcare; and without the necessary education, training or experience required to qualify for the dwindling supply of jobs in today's worsening economy. Many of America's homeless today are even employed but underemployed and unable to afford existing rentals while thousands of others are altogether unemployable.

How can our great nation permit so many of these poor souls to continue to suffer and die needlessly on our streets? I joined the Marines to fight for my country in the Sixties so that all Americans could have a better life, not just the rich and well-to-do who are receiving all the bailouts today.

The list of barriers and obstacles facing today's homeless goes on and on, Mr. Obama. Please, if you are serious about fixing our nation's economy from the bottom-up, begin at the real bottom by making a firm commitment to end involuntary homelessness throughout our country without further ado.

Sincerely,

Ruben Botello, Founder
AMERICAN HOMELESS SOCIETY
http://sananda.tripod.com/homeless/ahs1.html
Rey

Eureka, CA

#11 Jan 26, 2009
It can't be done, our borders are wide open and only 30 million of the world's poorest have illegally invaded the United States and thus displaced our struggling citizens. Now with amnisty each will bring in their extended family and the poor will get poorer. And still there's more on their way, free stuff (schools, medical and social security) is a great magnet...
tom tom

Arcata, CA

#12 Jan 26, 2009
Damn Ruben... I see you're still pimping the homeless gig. How is the pay these days...
BANDANADOG

Bellflower, CA

#14 Jan 26, 2009
There is plenty of room for all of Humbolts homeless population in Manila .
Everyone would blend in and no one would be the wiser.
Plus, think of all the EXTRA supervision the small children would have at the brand new playground.
Kerry

Eureka, CA

#15 Jan 27, 2009
Rey wrote:
It can't be done, our borders are wide open and only 30 million of the world's poorest have illegally invaded the United States and thus displaced our struggling citizens. Now with amnisty each will bring in their extended family and the poor will get poorer. And still there's more on their way, free stuff (schools, medical and social security) is a great magnet...
I still think if we had a "flat tax" that everyone paid equally for items they purchased here, that even "illegals" would be contributing to our economy. This tax could go towards many things our cities need, etc. I still dont agree with the free school, medical, and social security though. Its not right, especially when American citizens that have worked their entire lives while paying taxes are having to choose between paying their utility bills and medications they depend on to live out the rest of their days. I agree that it is sad not to be able to help everyone, but we seriously need to prioritize who we help...which should include those that paid into the system in the first place. I am a veteran and I have been crapped on more by our government these past several years regarding medical benefits than my neighbors who have lived on welfare and state benefits for the past 15 years. They have never worked. This injustice needs to stop.
Jim Blaster

San Carlos, CA

#16 Jan 27, 2009
I let me kid shoot with his pellet gun out the 2nd story, the transient criminal bums which go through our trash. It's so funny to hear bums screaming and hollering as they run down the alley, thinking they were shot with a real gun.
Jim Blaster

San Carlos, CA

#17 Jan 27, 2009
Cool, then we bulldoze Manila into an island, and shoot anyone who attempting to leave. I'm for it.
BANDANADOG wrote:
There is plenty of room for all of Humbolts homeless population in Manila .
Everyone would blend in and no one would be the wiser.
Plus, think of all the EXTRA supervision the small children would have at the brand new playground.
Tim

Oakland, CA

#18 Jan 27, 2009
EHSclassOf72 wrote:
Your so right... The more I look into Ronald Reagan the more I understand just how horrible that man was for the everyday people of our country.
I am just shocked at what he did and what he
got away with.
True. But just try saying that to someone who listens to hate radio or Fox 'news'.
Repubs think he was a god!

Utterly sick. He set us up for the fall we are now taking- and still rightwingnuts defend him and all he did!

Im no Dem- but I sure as H*ll knew exactly what Ronnie was:
A tool of the Rich, for the Rich, by the Rich.

He turned America into a war-economy, smiled, and retired.

No one ever talks about the Iranian hostages freed by Jimmy Carter, left on a plane for HOURS, just so Ronnie could take office and get the credit!
SICK!

And THEN theres the damage done by 'The Dragon-Lady'; Nancy

Thats a whole 'nother book right there!
oh and

Seaside, CA

#19 Jan 27, 2009
Jim Blaster wrote:
Cool, then we bulldoze Manila into an island, and shoot anyone who attempting to leave. I'm for it.
<quoted text>
we could set up some cameras and make an uncut reality show for everyone to watch!!
Leslie

San Carlos, CA

#20 Jan 27, 2009
We could rent tourists air pistols at $20 an hour then they can open fire on all the bums.
Nona

Eureka, CA

#21 Jan 27, 2009
Leslie wrote:
We could rent tourists air pistols at $20 an hour then they can open fire on all the bums.
How much do you go for by the hour, Leslie?
Nona

Eureka, CA

#22 Jan 27, 2009
Ruben Botello wrote:
Dear President Obama:
I have been in and out of homelessness since being honorably discharged as a USMC Vietnam veteran in 1969. I wound up homeless then, in and out of homelessness with my two sons in the Eighties, and homeless on my own again in the Nineties.
I started the American Homeless Society in 1987 while my sons and I were homeless in California. I have been in several hunger strikes, marches and demonstrations for homeless rights since then but have seen little progress.
My longest hunger strike was 58 days against President Reagan's "trickle down" economic policies that created much more instead of less homelessness in our country. You now speak about fixing our nation's economy from the "bottom up," and that should mean you are starting by ending involuntary homelessness at the rock-bottom of our economy.
Philip Mangano has been promoting 10-year plans to end homelessness in major cities across the country on behalf of the Bush Administration for the past few years. We would hope and pray you make a similar commitment to abolish homelessness but throughout our nation, not just in individual cities because there are far more homeless than these urban plans will ever reach.
Slavery was abolished in America over a century ago; why not abolish homelessness today, Mr. Obama? Homelessness is just as bad as slavery in several ways and much worse in others.
Men, women and children from all the races, colors, cultures, nationalities, ethnicities, religions and creeds in our diverse society find themselves homeless daily. They are forced to endure harassment, discrimination and persecution in our nation today much like the slaves President Lincoln's armies fought to free in the Nineteenth Century.
America's homeless are also forced to endure nature’s harshest conditions without warm homes or shelter for protection; without good food and nutrition; without essential hygiene, medicine and healthcare; and without the necessary education, training or experience required to qualify for the dwindling supply of jobs in today's worsening economy. Many of America's homeless today are even employed but underemployed and unable to afford existing rentals while thousands of others are altogether unemployable.
How can our great nation permit so many of these poor souls to continue to suffer and die needlessly on our streets? I joined the Marines to fight for my country in the Sixties so that all Americans could have a better life, not just the rich and well-to-do who are receiving all the bailouts today.
The list of barriers and obstacles facing today's homeless goes on and on, Mr. Obama. Please, if you are serious about fixing our nation's economy from the bottom-up, begin at the real bottom by making a firm commitment to end involuntary homelessness throughout our country without further ado.
Sincerely,
Ruben Botello, Founder
AMERICAN HOMELESS SOCIETY
http://sananda.tripod.com/homeless/ahs1.html
RAZA SCUM!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willow Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The underground world of cockfighting (Dec '08) 1 hr Jose Gonzales Ste... 153
News Investigation into Monday night chase and shoot... (May '09) Mar '15 shirley stephens 141
News Arcata man arrested after police recover missin... (Jul '08) Feb '15 really 20
Glen Hays Feb '15 Tired of him flir... 1
News McKinleyville doctor pleads guilty to charge of... (Nov '10) Feb '15 weneedjucticefora... 89
News Local Mennonite farmer victim of Highway 101 wr... (Jul '10) Jan '15 Friend n neighbor 88
What Is So Special About Willow Creek? (Jan '09) Jan '15 scoobydoo whitlatch 2
More from around the web

Willow Creek People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]