Final homeless count tally released

Final homeless count tally released

There are 93 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jul 8, 2009, titled Final homeless count tally released. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The final tally of homeless people in Humboldt County -- the result of an on-the-ground survey on a cold Wednesday in late January -- totaled more than all those who live within the city of Ferndale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Middle-o-the-str ea m

Arcata, CA

#2 Jul 8, 2009
Count done in late January? Why is it just now released? I think these numbers are bogus, inflated, and exaggerated. "to apply for grants"
Advocate for Compassion

Eureka, CA

#3 Jul 8, 2009
@Old man in the Sea
@Middle-o-the-stream

You foul little people sitting inside your glass houses!

Wither away
undercounted

Arcata, CA

#4 Jul 8, 2009
My neighbor lets two homeless vets sleep in tents in his yard. Both are good guys whom you wouldn't mind having as your neighbors--neither tweakers nor lazy--but I bet neither of them was counted. I wonder how many other homeless people in similar situations also weren't counted. Be grateful for what you have people, and try not to be hateful.
Eurekan

Arcata, CA

#5 Jul 8, 2009
How can you count the homeless? What a joke.
In the dark

Arcata, CA

#6 Jul 8, 2009
The most useful information will come from the survey that is coupled with a drug test. Anything less is an incomplete picture of what's really drives the unhoused persons to choose what they choose.
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#7 Jul 8, 2009
First, the definition of "homeless" is stretched to include 17 yr old Suzy & her fatherless child living with Aunt Becky in a spare bedroom.

That is NOT homeless by any reasonable standard.

It also included people living in motels. OK, I wouldn't want to live in one, but it is a home equal to the apartments I lived in when I first moved out on my own.

Notice that the survey did not ask how long they have lived in Humboldt County ? Or why did they move to Humboldt County ?
scat Man

Mckinleyville, CA

#8 Jul 8, 2009
Regardless of how people feel about the homeless and how the political system goes about counting them, making recommendations it's all smoke and mirrors.
The system can "plan and pontificate" all it wants, they will not resolve the homeless problems in anyone's immediate lifetime.

Any area (local, county, state, federal) that sets up a method of assisting and placing homeless into a normal way of life will only do 2 things in general,
1- they will obviously spend a lot of tax dollars and take credit if they even help very few as having done a good job.
2- as the word gets out that those few have been helped at no cost to them many others will gravitate to that area, overwhelming the helpful resources that have been put in place.

It's a no win situation as there has been and always will be homeless people.

This doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted, it means the powers that be do it with strict rules, regulations and laws that will at the least stop absolute
corruption of the systems set in place, or don't do it.
Having said this, I suspect many of us know that will never happen.

It's basically all about politics.
Alginon

Eureka, CA

#9 Jul 8, 2009
Why not out-reach to other communities to bring up the numbers, we could show our beautiful scenery, and drug availabibity as insentives to relocate to here to Humboldt Co...
Sothere

Eureka, CA

#10 Jul 8, 2009
Advocate for Compassion wrote:
@Old man in the Sea
@Middle-o-the-stream
You foul little people sitting inside your glass houses!
Wither away
'Old man' and 'Middle' are sad hateful trolls of the worst kind.
Just DONT FEED THEM.

Report as abuse- and move on.

If we are lucky they will crawl back under their bridges.
Cedric

Oakland, CA

#12 Jul 8, 2009
Hehehe! This count stuff is a joke! Merely driven with an obvious agenda behind it. Usually m-o-n-e-y! Did ACRON assist in the data collection?

We'll toss in the c-o-l-d January for effect! "the result of an on-the-ground survey on a cold Wednesday in late January"

One time they are referred to as homeless, The next time they are transients.

Best be glad this isn't China, Venezuela, Cuba, North Korea, or Iran. There would be no problem.

Think about it as you suck this once fine Country dry for false purpose.

Put down the medical marijuana and back away!
Alginon

Eureka, CA

#15 Jul 8, 2009
There must be millions in the north state...
Roger

Madera, CA

#16 Jul 8, 2009
LT Bum Bomber wrote:
ZZZZZZZ
"Bringing two F-18 to Eureka in at 3:00, the homeless tweakers are the targets."
"ROGER THAT"
"Some Sidewinders ought to do it."
"ROGER"
Hey! Leave my name OUT of your miserable trollish death fantasies!
Partydowner

United States

#17 Jul 8, 2009
Good Job, Homeless counters. Facts are valuable, and not degraded by comments herein. Did Humboldt or coastal cities go ahead wih Coastal Conservancy housing or camping suggestions? Monitoring Homeless camps is a good job for volunteers, such as able Seniors. New photo-phones can date and locate bad conditions and their occupants.
Local

United States

#18 Jul 8, 2009
Eurekan wrote:
How can you count the homeless? What a joke.
Its easy. You just put signs all over town that say "free oxycontin/meth/ and laundry services" at a certain location on a certain date. Then when they arrive you dart them with a tranq gun and measure them, check their teeth, then tag and release them back into the wild.
Little Mama

Ferndale, CA

#19 Jul 8, 2009
Take away the social security and welfare. Make these lazy scum work. Those with mental problem, lock up. Humboldt County would come out ahead money wise. Some of these homeless have it very good. Free money for drugs and booze. Free meals and rooms to sleep in. Free medical and dental. What insintive do they have. All their needs are being met so why should they work! Everyone knows that Humboldt county pays the highest welfare in California. Take these poor kids away and give them a chance in life. Living with a homeless parent is not helping them. Make these parents work and show they can function as a parent before they can have their children back.
Hmmmm

United States

#20 Jul 8, 2009
"Everyone knows that Humboldt county pays the highest welfare in California."

Actually, welfare is paid out the same amount all over the state. The difference in Humboldt County is that it is less expensive to live here than the rest of the state, making their money stretch farther. That's one main reason why a lot of people on welfare move to Humboldt County.
Alginon

Eureka, CA

#21 Jul 8, 2009
I think General Relief $ is diferent from welfare $ and rich counties like Humboldt can afford to pay the most?...
domino 21

Cupertino, CA

#22 Jul 8, 2009
So a minimum of 86 kids and really 406 kids need to be rounded up and enrolled in CPS and whatever counseling help we can find. I'm wondering if this isn't a demonstration of how the MJ/hippy culture is so very bad for people.
scat Man

Mckinleyville, CA

#23 Jul 8, 2009
Little Mama "Everyone knows that Humboldt county pays the highest welfare in California."

It's statements like these that show the ignorance that's prevalent in so many of the posts.

People have an axe to grind so they just make up stuff and expect intelligent people to except it without question.

Alginon

Eureka, CA

#24 Jul 8, 2009
You seem to suggest that you have some knowledge on this subject?...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willow Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Attorney: Officer's promotion could lead to BL ... (Mar '08) Jun 14 thatguy 30
News Another 150 paint containers found illegally du... (Sep '10) Jun 6 Luna 40
News Kenneth Fiaui held to answer for allegedly shoo... (Mar '10) May '16 NotCrazy 13
News Rocky start cana t keep the airport down Apr '16 Lucy Ann Jane 1
News TL;DR: Five Themes to Up-cycle from the Green I... Apr '16 Lucy Ann Jane 1
News Attorney appointed for Fiore (May '09) Feb '16 Dub77 56
What Is So Special About Willow Creek? (Jan '09) Jan '15 scoobydoo whitlatch 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willow Creek Mortgages