Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9157 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Clay Consumer

Mcdonough, GA

#3083 Dec 16, 2012
Hello ladies,

I was wondering do you ladies actually chew and SWALLOW the clay or just chew & spit it out?
Iheartclay

UK

#3084 Dec 16, 2012
Clay Consumer wrote:
Hello ladies,
I was wondering do you ladies actually chew and SWALLOW the clay or just chew & spit it out?
Swallow!! Couldn't imagine spitting it out! Why would I want to do that? Plus If I spat it out I couldn't eat it in public.:)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3085 Dec 16, 2012
It depends.

For me, when it's real clay (and DE and when I used to eat cornstarch) I usually swallow it...but if I can't control myself and eat too much I try to spit most of it out and then feel bad for wasting it. If trying a new clay I test it first by chewing and spitting out for a couple days to make sure I don't have any bad effects from it.

When it's other things, like the stuff I've had recently that I describe above, I mostly spit it out because it is gritty and I don't feel good about swallowing a lot of it. I make sure to get all the earthy taste out though, lol!

I thought I was the only one who did the spitting out thing, but from other comments I've seen it isn't uncommon.

What do you do?
Mz libra

New York, NY

#3086 Dec 16, 2012
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest I don't know what exactly it was, but the best description I can come up with is 'marl'- a word I learned on this forum from I think it was Caribbean Clay Lover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marl
http://www.ehow.com/about_5112903_marl.html
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/P/19982942/clay-m...
It is sort of clay like but is grainy not smooth like proper clay I've had. It may be a type limestone, but it is softer and earthier than the other stuff I was given that was described to me as raw limestone. To look at it you would think it is hard rock, but it is actually crumbly and very earthy.
I have tried various different earthy materials before to try to find the perfect thing to eat, but this type was really good and satisfying. I was scared to try it at first, so took very small bits to check it out. That's one problem people like me have, where we are not from a culture that eats clay/dirt so we don't grow up knowing good and safe places to get it from. But now that I know this spot is good I'm going to try to get some more.
This is another picture of marl. It isn't like what I had, but doesn't it look good? The red looks so earthy.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1200312
it looks different....I would try it. I think I would like to find a place I can white and red dirt and mix the two together and bake it.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#3087 Dec 16, 2012
Mz libra wrote:
<quoted text> it looks different....I would try it. I think I would like to find a place I can white and red dirt and mix the two together and bake it.
How about this one? I would love to pick up those chunks (I am becoming obsessed with red dirt).

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3ARed%20mu...
Clayaholic

UK

#3088 Dec 16, 2012
Hypothetically if you were given a bag of your favourite clay (whatever it may be, whatever mix) and where told 'here is a bag of your favourite clay...the clay of your dreams. However it's the LAST bag you will ever have in your life'. You happily take it (obviously) but are told u can exchange the bag for 1000/$1000. Bearing in mind taking the money would mean NEVER having clay ever again, what would you do? Keep the clay for the sake of your beloved clay that you'll never in your lifetime have again or take the money??
Clay Consumer

Stockbridge, GA

#3089 Dec 17, 2012
Clayaholic wrote:
Hypothetically if you were given a bag of your favourite clay (whatever it may be, whatever mix) and where told 'here is a bag of your favourite clay...the clay of your dreams. However it's the LAST bag you will ever have in your life'. You happily take it (obviously) but are told u can exchange the bag for 1000/$1000. Bearing in mind taking the money would mean NEVER having clay ever again, what would you do? Keep the clay for the sake of your beloved clay that you'll never in your lifetime have again or take the money??

why can't I buy my favorite clay w/ the $1000 ? that's a tough decision . 1 bag of clay or $1000 ? hmm
Clayaholic

UK

#3090 Dec 17, 2012
Clay Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
why can't I buy my favorite clay w/ the $1000 ? that's a tough decision . 1 bag of clay or $1000 ? hmm
Loool u can't have your cake and eat it too! I just wanna see how much we value it. Personally I would go for the clay! I know it may not make sense to some people but the thought of never eating it again would drive me crazy coz there is nothing that satisfies that crave like clay does!
Nina

Los Angeles, CA

#3092 Dec 17, 2012
I am 8 months pregnant and craving kalaba all the time. I eat so much of it that my stool is white like clay. I can barely have a bowel movement. Is this pretty bab?
miss clayer

UK

#3093 Dec 17, 2012
Cravings for clay are strong right now, thinking of stopping by the vendor tomorrow to get some smooth,creamy,yummy clay! Would be nice to munch on some chalk right now too..
Anon Y Mouse

Washington, DC

#3094 Dec 17, 2012
Just letting you all know, Mutt & Jeff have clay in. I just ordered ten pounds and it cost $20 and came in a week. I thought you'd want to know, since people have been saying here that M & J were refunding orders due to being out or unable to resupply.
Info

Wigston, UK

#3095 Dec 17, 2012
Anon Y Mouse wrote:
Just letting you all know, Mutt & Jeff have clay in. I just ordered ten pounds and it cost $20 and came in a week. I thought you'd want to know, since people have been saying here that M & J were refunding orders due to being out or unable to resupply.
Hi

What does the M&J clay taste like, is it earthy, smooth?
jus-me

Chicago, IL

#3096 Dec 17, 2012
What exactly is the mutt and Jeff web address?
alexx

Stockbridge, GA

#3097 Dec 17, 2012
Anon Y Mouse wrote:
why was it $20 ? I thought it cost 10 for $10 ... hmm
Anon Y Mouse

Washington, DC

#3098 Dec 17, 2012
alexx wrote:
<quoted text>
why was it $20 ? I thought it cost 10 for $10 ... hmm
Ten dollars for shipping. I mean, it's ten pounds of weight shipped UPS, that costs.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3099 Dec 17, 2012
Does Mutt and Jeff clay taste like it freshly from the ground and is that the roasted clay from Ghana that they said the would have in by Christmas?
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3100 Dec 17, 2012
I was reading a earlier post from adaku and she said Mavu Selle or Anoda lady clay is from Ghana .That the clay I would like to try .What Mavu Seller website ?
Mz libra

New York, NY

#3101 Dec 17, 2012
Think I'm going to order M&J instead of Sam's just to try it.
Mary Tyler

Beaumont, TX

#3102 Dec 17, 2012
Mz. Libra I just left off M&J website they are soldout off all clay.

Since: Oct 12

Colchester, UK

#3103 Dec 17, 2012
Mary Tyler wrote:
I was reading a earlier post from adaku and she said Mavu Selle or Anoda lady clay is from Ghana .That the clay I would like to try .What Mavu Seller website ?
mavuseller is from Zimbabwe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willoughby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Salt is leaking into marsh (Jul '07) Jan 24 fuckstick 3
i eat my own poo (Jun '11) Dec '15 Giraffe Lover 20
News Do I have Cushing's syndrome? (Oct '08) Sep '15 barb g 34
in town for a day, need dog food. Sep '15 sickashell 1
DownTown Willoughby bar scene single friendly o... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Seriouslady 2
best gyro will rip you off Aug '15 Boo K 1
Stove need fixed (Jul '14) Aug '14 sue 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willoughby Mortgages