Fake checks, $15,000 cash found during traffic stop near New Ulm

There are 57 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 3, 2010, titled Fake checks, $15,000 cash found during traffic stop near New Ulm. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Two people who were stopped for speeding near New Ulm Tuesday are now facing felony charges for allegedly running a check scam that spanned across several state lines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#41 Sep 9, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
I don't know anything about this case, except what I read here. However, in most cases where the cop asked to search your vehicle, and you refuse, he says he will get a search warrant, he cannot legally hold you there while waiting. Search warrants need probable cause, and take time to get. You have every right to drive away if you want.
In this particular case they didn't need a search warrent because they got permission to search the vehicle from the vehicle's owner.
tiredofthecrybab ies

Saint Paul, MN

#42 Sep 9, 2010
cantrell wrote:
<quoted text>Why haven't she been arrested just for being corrupt. Who would they get to prosecute her? Sounds like the criminals have been given free reign over deciding the fate of law abiding citizens!
Kind of hard in a one horse town when the local attraction is the state mental hospital. Degenerates of all types can be found in that dirty little hole, did I strike a nerve?
citiesgirl

Saint Paul, MN

#43 Sep 9, 2010
cantrell wrote:
<quoted text>When are they going to get the mayor and his DUIs off the streets? After he kills someone? Oops I forgot he is an official.
Cantrell, hate to burst your bubble because you are on to something. Although the mayor who is the drunk is the Mayor of Mankato, which is Blue Earth County, but in that part of the state it's hard to say, they are all inbred
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#44 Sep 9, 2010
Howard wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, you're saying you realling don't know anything more than what was in the story. I don't believe that you necessisarily got accurate information from Walmart, why would any inside company information be given to you? The fact that a speeding citation was not issued does not mean it was not a legal stop. Cops stop people for speeding without giving them a ticket all the time. My question, still, to you is are the three people stopped being charged with the felonies mentioned in the story?
I don't know what three people you are talking about, but as a freelance writer, I asked my sources and they have never given me false info before so why should they now. I don't know why the store managers answered my questions and I don't know if they lied or not but why would they? It will become a matter of public recor eventually anyway! Criminal complaints have been filed against the two occupants of the car. How it plays out in court should be interesting.
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#45 Sep 9, 2010
citiesgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Cantrell, hate to burst your bubble because you are on to something. Although the mayor who is the drunk is the Mayor of Mankato, which is Blue Earth County, but in that part of the state it's hard to say, they are all inbred
No problem I like blowing bubbles and the bubbly stuff but I do like how you clear up things. I didn't mean to lump everyone together.
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#46 Sep 9, 2010
tiredofthecrybabies wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of hard in a one horse town when the local attraction is the state mental hospital. Degenerates of all types can be found in that dirty little hole, did I strike a nerve?
No! but you tickled my funny bone.
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#47 Sep 9, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
In this particular case they didn't need a search warrent because they got permission to search the vehicle from the vehicle's owner.
Would the vehicle's owner be the rental company or the driver in possession at the time of the stop? Would the probable cause be because the officer asked how much cash they had on them and were they questioned before or after they were mirandized?
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#48 Sep 9, 2010
canttellcantrell wrote:
<quoted text> Would the vehicle's owner be the rental company or the driver in possession at the time of the stop? Would the probable cause be because the officer asked how much cash they had on them and were they questioned before or after they were mirandized?
You're asking a lot of questions that cannot be answered with the information provided in this story. The owner to whom I was referring is the car rental agency. The probable cause for what exactly? The probable cause for stopping them in the first place appears to be speeding. After that, the cops asked a few questions and found out some information, we don't really know what yet, that caused them to call the car rental agency. After that, it appears they discovered the cash, fake checks, etc. If you're not under arrest you don't need to be mirandized. I don't know when they were asked about the cash. The cops can ask anything they wish to without giving a miranda, as long as they're not yet under arrest and have asked for legal representation. Since it was a traffic stop for speeding, the cops and detain them as long as it takes to determine the particulars of that stop, such as calling the car rental agency. The are a lot of assumptions here. I don't believe calling a Walmart in Texas is the best way to find out what happened in this incident.

Since: Jun 10

Saint Paul, MN

#49 Sep 9, 2010
yo-yo wrote:
there losers and should be shot.
I think you meant "they are" losers which is spelled they're. "There" means a place like - over there.
cantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#50 Sep 9, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're asking a lot of questions that cannot be answered with the information provided in this story. The owner to whom I was referring is the car rental agency. The probable cause for what exactly? The probable cause for stopping them in the first place appears to be speeding. After that, the cops asked a few questions and found out some information, we don't really know what yet, that caused them to call the car rental agency. After that, it appears they discovered the cash, fake checks, etc. If you're not under arrest you don't need to be mirandized. I don't know when they were asked about the cash. The cops can ask anything they wish to without giving a miranda, as long as they're not yet under arrest and have asked for legal representation. Since it was a traffic stop for speeding, the cops and detain them as long as it takes to determine the particulars of that stop, such as calling the car rental agency. The are a lot of assumptions here. I don't believe calling a Walmart in Texas is the best way to find out what happened in this incident.
Who callled the Wal-mart in Texas. I called the corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas. I also called Mankato, Wilmar, Hutchinson, and Cambridge. I really don't think the Wal-mart in Texas would have any info on fake checks at stores in Minnesota. I apologize. All the cops I have asked in Texas say they don't ask how much cash do you have on you during a traffic stop. In the criminal complaint it stated that the officer did ask and based on that info he proceeded to call for drug agents and drug dogs. I do not presume to know how traffic stops or anything else is handle in that area, I simply read the papers and notice the amount of corruption in that area. When it is all said and done, everyone will know whether the situation was handled correctly.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#51 Sep 9, 2010
cantrell wrote:
<quoted text> Who callled the Wal-mart in Texas. I called the corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas. I also called Mankato, Wilmar, Hutchinson, and Cambridge. I really don't think the Wal-mart in Texas would have any info on fake checks at stores in Minnesota. I apologize. All the cops I have asked in Texas say they don't ask how much cash do you have on you during a traffic stop. In the criminal complaint it stated that the officer did ask and based on that info he proceeded to call for drug agents and drug dogs. I do not presume to know how traffic stops or anything else is handle in that area, I simply read the papers and notice the amount of corruption in that area. When it is all said and done, everyone will know whether the situation was handled correctly.
Who says the cops asked them how much cash they had? You're the only one that claims that. They discovered the cash because someting seemed wrong with the situation and it seems the cop was correct. You think you're gonna find out anything substantive by telephoning a Walmart store? Why do you think they're going to tell you anything that matters? As for corruption, please post your sources and links, I'd like to read more.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#52 Sep 9, 2010
This happened while the police were doing a drug sweep, could be they thought the two had sold drugs.
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#53 Sep 14, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says the cops asked them how much cash they had? You're the only one that claims that. They discovered the cash because someting seemed wrong with the situation and it seems the cop was correct. You think you're gonna find out anything substantive by telephoning a Walmart store? Why do you think they're going to tell you anything that matters? As for corruption, please post your sources and links, I'd like to read more.
In the criminal complaint it stated that the trooper asked the occupants of the car how much cash they had on them. My sources regarding the amount of government corruption in that area is local area newspaper articles.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#54 Sep 14, 2010
canttellcantrell wrote:
<quoted text> In the criminal complaint it stated that the trooper asked the occupants of the car how much cash they had on them. My sources regarding the amount of government corruption in that area is local area newspaper articles.
Ok, why does it mannter to you that the cops asked them how much money they had. The cops suspected drug trafficking in the area, they were doing a sweep. The cops can ask you anything they wish to. That doesn't mean you have to answer them.

What do you have against the mayor or New Ulm? What is it that he did that offends you?

Why are you so interested in a case that is at least 1,500 miles from you. You must be related to or friends with one or more of the perps involved in the case.
canttellcantrell

Fort Worth, TX

#55 Sep 15, 2010
Wade Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, why does it mannter to you that the cops asked them how much money they had. The cops suspected drug trafficking in the area, they were doing a sweep. The cops can ask you anything they wish to. That doesn't mean you have to answer them.
What do you have against the mayor or New Ulm? What is it that he did that offends you?
Why are you so interested in a case that is at least 1,500 miles from you. You must be related to or friends with one or more of the perps involved in the case.
Just because we leave Minnesota, we don't sever our ties. I don't have anything against the mayor of New Ulm. I do think the mayor of Mankato should get his just non-alcoholic desserts. Judge me not lest ye be judged. I have relatives in the area and since I am a 1000 miles away I like to keep up on what's gong on in my hometown. Are you related to the trooper or the mayor of New Ulm?
Heather

New Ulm, MN

#56 Sep 18, 2010
Is this really news?
who does dat

Corpus Christi, TX

#57 Sep 19, 2010
dv

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willmar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Willmar Authorities Warn: Rural Gangs Steadily ... (Nov '09) Jan '15 Russian 5
back to school, did you wish your child a great... (Sep '14) Sep '14 FatherWithAFight 1
wishing our kids a Great First day back to school (Sep '14) Sep '14 FatherWithAFight 1
Drugs in Willmar (May '14) May '14 WIllmarObserver 1
how many kids? (Apr '14) Apr '14 israel hernandez 1
juan hernandez aka johnny (Oct '13) Mar '14 concerned 3
News Two Willmar men involved in stabbing (Mar '11) Feb '14 Chuck 15
More from around the web

Willmar People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]