Willmar mayor cancels speaker after '60 Minutes' report on her son

Full story: TwinCities.com

Willmar Mayor Frank Yanish said he has canceled the appearance of Jerene Mortenson, Ph.D., as speaker for the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 24 of24
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Howard

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2011

Judged:

I think they should hire Pablo Cruise then the people attending will learn that Love will find a Way.
blindman

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

yea one for you and three for me!
Remember

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah Right wrote:
Pablo Cruz? Didn't he have a few #1 songs in the Late seventies? I miss that....
If I remember correctly,( life was a fog then) Pablo Cruz was one of the opening acts for the Eagles on the Hotel California tour at the old met stadium.
Does anybody else remember this?
Just Saying

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm - both "Things" and "Just Saying" get a big "Huh?" from me.
As in : "What the hell are you trying to say?"
..."good work, supporting the good, blah blah".
Please let us know your actual point, OK?
Sorry it was unclear; let's try another approach.

1) Available info suggests the "three cups of tea" organization has accomplished some good work. This appears to be a fact, that no one is disputing. It is different from a fly-by-night entity that exists solely to separate people from their money and then vanish. The stuff in Afghanistan, etc. is effective in making improvements for the people, in an area where the need is great. So, there is not a problem with the organization's work or purpose per se. Are we in agreement so far?

2) The problem is actually with the methods involved in sponsoring the work -- primarily, misrepresentation in raising funds and mismanagement of funds received. The problem resides in the organization's administrative rather than operational realm. Still in agreement?

3) The problems have their origins with a portion of the persons involved with the organization. The problems are not found across all organizational staff, nor endemic to the organization itself.

4) The problems are more accurately attributable to incompetence and lack of attention to some important details, than to malice or intent to do damage. If we're not in agreement here there's no need to read further, because this is key to my point.

5) Mismanagement incompetence can be fixed. The corporate world has many examples of mismanaged companies that were turned around under appropriately skilled management, which grew and prospered and went on to make an improved contribution to the world.

6) In the corporate world, management changes can be brought about by stockholders who apply pressure to replace poor management with more effective management, in order to get more money from the organization in return for their investment.

7) In the nonprofit world, unfortunately, the mechanism for management change is not so clear. There are no stockholders who profit from it; there are only funders who give money to it. However, there is still a Board of Directors.

8) The main tool funders generally use to express their displeasure with an organization is to withhold funds. This, in fact, appears to be one of the steps being taken in this 'three cups' case by the court of public opinion. This tool is a blunt and undiscriminating one. Using it can be somewhat akin to attempting to get a malfunctioning car engine running properly by removing the gas from the car, which pretty much kills the car forever, when the car's performance would more likely be improved by doing some precision tuning to the problem areas.

9) So, since
(a) the organization is effective in doing good work,
(b) the problems appear to be in specific aspects of the organization and not the organization itself,
(c) the problems are of a nature that can be fixed, and
(d) there is a mechanism in place -- the organization's Board of Directors -- that can address the problems,

I would prefer to see people/funders use this mechanism to pressure the Board of Directors to fix the management problems, while still giving the organization the resources it needs to accomplish its good work -- not simply condemn the organization and cut off its ability to do any good any more.

There it is. I hope this makes my earlier post clearer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 24 of24
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Willmar Discussions

Search the Willmar Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun 12 doomsayer2014 847
Drugs in Willmar May '14 WIllmarObserver 1
how many kids? Apr '14 israel hernandez 1
juan hernandez aka johnny (Oct '13) Mar '14 concerned 3
Two Willmar men involved in stabbing (Mar '11) Feb '14 Chuck 15
Teen pleads guilty for his role in Willmar slaying (Dec '13) Dec '13 Hey 1
Alvaro Saucedo (Nov '13) Nov '13 question 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Willmar Jobs

•••