Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.
Saint Paul, MN
#21 Apr 27, 2011
I think they should hire Pablo Cruise then the people attending will learn that Love will find a Way.
#23 Apr 28, 2011
yea one for you and three for me!
Saint Cloud, MN
#24 Apr 28, 2011
If I remember correctly,( life was a fog then) Pablo Cruz was one of the opening acts for the Eagles on the Hotel California tour at the old met stadium.
Does anybody else remember this?
Saint Paul, MN
#25 Apr 28, 2011
Sorry it was unclear; let's try another approach.
1) Available info suggests the "three cups of tea" organization has accomplished some good work. This appears to be a fact, that no one is disputing. It is different from a fly-by-night entity that exists solely to separate people from their money and then vanish. The stuff in Afghanistan, etc. is effective in making improvements for the people, in an area where the need is great. So, there is not a problem with the organization's work or purpose per se. Are we in agreement so far?
2) The problem is actually with the methods involved in sponsoring the work -- primarily, misrepresentation in raising funds and mismanagement of funds received. The problem resides in the organization's administrative rather than operational realm. Still in agreement?
3) The problems have their origins with a portion of the persons involved with the organization. The problems are not found across all organizational staff, nor endemic to the organization itself.
4) The problems are more accurately attributable to incompetence and lack of attention to some important details, than to malice or intent to do damage. If we're not in agreement here there's no need to read further, because this is key to my point.
5) Mismanagement incompetence can be fixed. The corporate world has many examples of mismanaged companies that were turned around under appropriately skilled management, which grew and prospered and went on to make an improved contribution to the world.
6) In the corporate world, management changes can be brought about by stockholders who apply pressure to replace poor management with more effective management, in order to get more money from the organization in return for their investment.
7) In the nonprofit world, unfortunately, the mechanism for management change is not so clear. There are no stockholders who profit from it; there are only funders who give money to it. However, there is still a Board of Directors.
8) The main tool funders generally use to express their displeasure with an organization is to withhold funds. This, in fact, appears to be one of the steps being taken in this 'three cups' case by the court of public opinion. This tool is a blunt and undiscriminating one. Using it can be somewhat akin to attempting to get a malfunctioning car engine running properly by removing the gas from the car, which pretty much kills the car forever, when the car's performance would more likely be improved by doing some precision tuning to the problem areas.
9) So, since
(a) the organization is effective in doing good work,
(b) the problems appear to be in specific aspects of the organization and not the organization itself,
(c) the problems are of a nature that can be fixed, and
(d) there is a mechanism in place -- the organization's Board of Directors -- that can address the problems,
I would prefer to see people/funders use this mechanism to pressure the Board of Directors to fix the management problems, while still giving the organization the resources it needs to accomplish its good work -- not simply condemn the organization and cut off its ability to do any good any more.
There it is. I hope this makes my earlier post clearer.
Add your comments below
|Willmar Authorities Warn: Rural Gangs Steadily ... (Nov '09)||Jan '15||Russian||5|
|back to school, did you wish your child a great... (Sep '14)||Sep '14||FatherWithAFight||1|
|wishing our kids a Great First day back to school (Sep '14)||Sep '14||FatherWithAFight||1|
|Drugs in Willmar (May '14)||May '14||WIllmarObserver||1|
|how many kids? (Apr '14)||Apr '14||israel hernandez||1|
|juan hernandez aka johnny (Oct '13)||Mar '14||concerned||3|
|Two Willmar men involved in stabbing (Mar '11)||Feb '14||Chuck||15|
Find what you want!
Search Willmar Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC