Willmar mayor cancels speaker after '60 Minutes' report on her son

Willmar Mayor Frank Yanish said he has canceled the appearance of Jerene Mortenson, Ph.D., as speaker for the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yeah Right

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Apr 27, 2011
Pablo Cruz? Didn't he have a few #1 songs in the Late seventies? I miss that....
Just Saying

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 27, 2011
This is too bad. For all the controversy, it sounds like good work was actually being done.
Nostradumass

Maple Plain, MN

#3 Apr 27, 2011
Yeah Right wrote:
Pablo Cruz? Didn't he have a few #1 songs in the Late seventies? I miss that....
Saw them with Steve Miller and The Eagles at the old Met in 1976ish. Great outdoor
concert
RIOT

Madison, WI

#4 Apr 27, 2011
Back to the topic on hand.

Where were the editors and fact checkers? Was the book touted as a statement of fact, was there a statement that some facts were changed in the book? How about a little more information from our liberal media, oh wait that means working. Gee when will that happen.

Just like the increase on gas prices. Liberal media blamed Bush during his tenure. So where is the blame now? Hmmmm? Silence. Thought so. And you wonder why we don't buy the paper anymore.
Not the point

Eden Prairie, MN

#5 Apr 27, 2011
RIOT wrote:
Where were the editors and fact checkers? Was the book touted as a statement of fact, was there a statement that some facts were changed in the book? How about a little more information from our liberal media, oh wait that means working. Gee when will that happen.
Just like the increase on gas prices. Liberal media blamed Bush during his tenure. So where is the blame now? Hmmmm? Silence. Thought so. And you wonder why we don't buy the paper anymore.
How is this about gas prices, buying the newspaper or the liberal media?
You're a moron.
This is about a guy that lied about supposed great things he was doing, not about politics. Get over yourself. Not everything is about liberal vs. conservative viewpoints.
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Apr 27, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
This is too bad. For all the controversy, it sounds like good work was actually being done.
From what I saw, some good work was done, but the amount of good work was grossly exaggerated and the book contained numerous stories that never happened.
Smartass

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 27, 2011
What is with this mayor and praying anyway ? A mayor is an elected government official, how about some separation of church and state here ?
Just Saying

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 27, 2011
Nostradumass wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw them with Steve Miller and The Eagles at the old Met in 1976ish. Great outdoor
concert
Summer of 1978. Doesn't seem that long ago ...
Just Saying

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 27, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I saw, some good work was done, but the amount of good work was grossly exaggerated and the book contained numerous stories that never happened.
Could be. Still, seems to me that good work which doesn't live up to its hype is still good work. And the world is always in need of all the good work it can get, and then some.

To me it seems just as morally suspect of society to simply condemn, punish and ostracize this organization and those associated with it, as it is for the organization to overstate its claims in the first place.

I'm thinking there would be greater benefit if instead, there were pressure brought to bear on the organization to live up to and make good on the amount of good work it claimed -- continue supporting the good, but also be more vigilant to see that it actually happens as promised. We all loved the premise and hope of the project -- let's support discipline to make it fulfill its promise, and not just punish the organization into defeat.
Just Saying

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 27, 2011
RIOT wrote:
I bet if we did some fact checking, we'd find out you aren't really a riot.
Hugh Jardon

Merritt Island, FL

#11 Apr 27, 2011
Scammer
say what

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 27, 2011
Church, meet state. Mayor's prayer breakfast?
Illegal. Plain and simple.
Warmer Gore

Minnetonka, MN

#13 Apr 27, 2011
RIOT wrote:

Well, we are seeing that publishers are pretty credulous when it comes to this sort of con, and the liberal media will not criticize the liberal publishers.

Makes them all look like donkey fondlers when the new media exposes their incompetence.
Warmer Gore

Minnetonka, MN

#14 Apr 27, 2011
say what wrote:

The mayor can't pray? Now that is the liberal idea of freedom--freedom to do what 'say what' wants.
Suburban Mom

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Apr 27, 2011
say what wrote:
There is nothing illegal about it as long as the city budget isn't being tapped for the breakfast. You should be glad your Mayor is praying. The city of Willmar can use it!
Things that make U go hmm

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 27, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be. Still, seems to me that good work which doesn't live up to its hype is still good work. And the world is always in need of all the good work it can get, and then some.
To me it seems just as morally suspect of society to simply condemn, punish and ostracize this organization and those associated with it, as it is for the organization to overstate its claims in the first place.
I'm thinking there would be greater benefit if instead, there were pressure brought to bear on the organization to live up to and make good on the amount of good work it claimed -- continue supporting the good, but also be more vigilant to see that it actually happens as promised. We all loved the premise and hope of the project -- let's support discipline to make it fulfill its promise, and not just punish the organization into defeat.
Sounds good, but that would be the something like letting a criminal out before they have served their full sentence based on something as silly as good behavior. Oh, wait...
Mad Viking

United States

#17 Apr 27, 2011
The Mayor of a city is holding a prayer breakfast as an official function at a city facility? Talk about a violation of the establishment clause.
Abe

United States

#18 Apr 27, 2011
Forget having a speaker. What Willmars leaders need to do is get down on their knees and pray that the Federal government develops and enforces a sensible immigration policy, and that the obvious damage inflicted on the community by the "diversity" dreams of its Lefty liberal churches can be undone!
Yeah Right

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Apr 27, 2011
Things that make U go hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds good, but that would be the something like letting a criminal out before they have served their full sentence based on something as silly as good behavior. Oh, wait...
Ummm - both "Things" and "Just Saying" get a big "Huh?" from me.

As in : "What the hell are you trying to say?"

..."good work, supporting the good, blah blah".

Please let us know your actual point, OK?

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#20 Apr 27, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Summer of 1978. Doesn't seem that long ago ...
August 1 77 0r 78 ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willmar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
back to school, did you wish your child a great... Sep 3 FatherWithAFight 1
wishing our kids a Great First day back to school Sep 2 FatherWithAFight 1
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
Drugs in Willmar May '14 WIllmarObserver 1
how many kids? Apr '14 israel hernandez 1
juan hernandez aka johnny (Oct '13) Mar '14 concerned 3
Two Willmar men involved in stabbing (Mar '11) Feb '14 Chuck 15
•••
•••
Willmar Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Willmar Jobs

•••