Suspended sentence for WCS teacher

Former Willits Charter School teacher Clinton Douglas Smith, 38, was sentenced Tuesday to four years suspended prison sentence with three years probation, including 180 days in Mendocino County Jail with credit for time served. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
whoa

Jackson St Forest, CA

#1 Aug 5, 2009
Hello??? Not a sex offender???
Disbelief

Novato, CA

#3 Aug 5, 2009
Really? Are you kidding me!!

Note to everyone who votes in Mendocino county...
remember Mendocino County Superior Court Judge Clayton Brennan loves sex offenders. Shame on you Judge Brennan - shame on you!
Appaled

Jackson St Forest, CA

#4 Aug 5, 2009
In the courtroom yeaterday, all three psychologists, who testified on Clint Smith's behalf. actually suggested to Judge Brennan, that, as reparation, Clint could teach workshops to educators on how to avoid sexual relations with students!!! Seriously!!! Is that totally crazy? Where are all the educators in our community who SHOULD be up in arms about this case anyway???
Retired Teacher

Redwood Valley, CA

#5 Aug 5, 2009
As a retired teacher, I am really offended. I had just reassured someone in the community a couple of days ago that the system wouldn't let a teacher off who took sexual advantage of the teacher-student relationship. Boy, was I wrong. One educator in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat article describes him as a "wonderful guy". "Wonderful guy" teachers don't have sex with students. He crossed a line that should never be crossed and for that he should serve prison time if for nothing else as to be an example to other educators who might think of crossing that line.
IMHO

Covelo, CA

#6 Aug 5, 2009
Clay Brennan needs to let this guy babysit HIS children .....

"for punishment the bench requires that you babysit my kids for four years and at the end of that period I shall decide if you should register as a sex offender or not"

.... what an idiot!
hmmm

Menlo Park, CA

#8 Aug 5, 2009
I have never been so disgusted with all parties involved. From the pervert who preyed on a minor, to the so-called "educators" who rallied to support this molester, to the Judge on the bench who's too busy with his bong to see the writing on the wall. To those who want to blame the victim here and somehow want to paint her as some sort of modern day lolita, you are lower than toads. I don't know any of the parties involved personally (other than the whimpery excuse for a magistrate) but there is never an excuse for an adult to have sex with a child so much younger than he, no matter how she dresses or how big her crush is on him.
An Angry Parent

United States

#11 Aug 5, 2009
I can not believe that all of these teachers supported him. Our Courts do not protect our children. They have proved that. Anyone who was in the court room could you let me know what teachers supported him? I have children that I would like to protect them from the thinking that having sex with a child is ok.
Watcha Know

Clarksburg, CA

#14 Aug 6, 2009
Wow! I dont care how the situation came about between teacher and student, Smith crossed the line. He is not this great person, he cant be as he is a child molester. Brennen should not allow this guy to walk away with out registration. If he does, I am sure old clint will be able to move to another community and prey on another minor. Come on Judge Brennen, do your Job!

“Be honest, be true.”

Since: Apr 09

United States

#15 Aug 6, 2009
This is absolutely disgusting. I will be calling the school of pervert and sex offender supporters and letting them know my opinion.
Boonville resident

Garden Grove, CA

#16 Aug 6, 2009
20 area teachers SUPPORTED Smith? Or do they also have the same "problem" Smith does...
I won't even talk about his not having to register!
in Willits

Oakland, CA

#17 Aug 6, 2009
I wish I could know what teachers were there supporting him. Unbelievable....
Question

Covelo, CA

#18 Aug 6, 2009
.... and of course he gets to hang onto his teaching creditial?
An Angry Parent

United States

#19 Aug 6, 2009
in Willits wrote:
I wish I could know what teachers were there supporting him. Unbelievable....
Me to. I would like to be able to protect my children from this attitude.
onepene

Plainville, MA

#20 Aug 6, 2009
This teacher was in a position of authority. We have taught our children to respect authority figures such as teachers, police officers, etc. Yet this authority figure has made the choice to cross a line.
People are human and subject to mistakes. This was not a mistake. This was a crime! Not once, not twice, but numerous times. Being "in love" is absolutely no excuse. If he truly had deep feelings for this child, then the proper thing to do would be: 1) not be her teacher 2) explore true feelings once the age of 18 is passed. Isn't this what we stress to our children? Wait and see if your feelings are true, dont' get married young because you haven't yet grown and developed a maturity level which would indicate capability of making these decisions.
Yet, he chose to ignore all the rules. He chose to take advantage of a young, impressionable child. No matter how provocative or how enticing she may have been! If she was over stepping her boundaries by flirting, being provocative or sexually enticing, then SHE should have been reported to his superiors. HE should have taken the responsibility to step back.
He is a sexual criminal and to even consider not forcing registration as a sex offender is absolutely nuts!
He may or may not re-offend. But the fact remains that he did offend in this case and should not get off without repercussions. Shame on the judge. Obviously, he is being given preferencial treatment, for whatever reason. Whether the judge is feeling public pressure by teachers who have come forward and testified what a "good guy" this man is or whether the judge feels that it was an isolated incident.
Pooey. These teachers should put themselves in the position of a parent! Do they want their "provocative" daughter or relative in this mans classroom??? Seems that these fellow colleagues are placing themselves in a very precarious position by defending a man who put his family, profession and freedom in jeopardy. Clearly, their judgement is now questionable.
John2

Hayward, CA

#21 Aug 6, 2009
Sex with a 15 year!!! and "Brennan received a large numbers supporting Smith, including 20 from area teachers" are you guys morons?
An Angry Parent

United States

#23 Aug 6, 2009
Mee wrote:
...just because they painted this child as a hussy and this molestor's wife is a well-respected teacher. For shame, for shame. Will you let your child go to the Willits Charter School? I wouldn't let mine within a mile of that place!
Shame!!!
The Santa Rosa paper said that 1 teacher that talked in court was Yavon Winters . She is not a teacher at the Charter School but Clint's wife's School which was Blosser, so why are you back to blaming the Charter School?
question

Jackson St Forest, CA

#25 Aug 6, 2009
An Angry Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
The Santa Rosa paper said that 1 teacher that talked in court was Yavon Winters . She is not a teacher at the Charter School but Clint's wife's School which was Blosser, so why are you back to blaming the Charter School?
Yvonne Winters is a psychologist for the Willits Unified School District. She is not a teacher. And there were 20 school employees who stood up for this self-admitted child molester who doesn't have to register as a sex offender. The whole school system is tainted because of this.
reality check

United States

#28 Aug 6, 2009
WOW!!!
Way to go LIBS!!!!
Give it some thought

Covelo, CA

#29 Aug 6, 2009
So if this yahoo is not to be considered a candidate for registration as a sex offender then how many that are currently on the sex offender register now have the arguement theat they should have their name removed?
how silly

Jackson St Forest, CA

#32 Aug 6, 2009
reality check wrote:
WOW!!!
Way to go LIBS!!!!
What a silly comment. How do you know what the political or idealogical
leaning is of any of the people involved? Plenty of conservatives have been guilty of breaking every kind of law. California is not just made up of liberal thinking people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willits Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm update: Most roads open, Lake Mendocino g... 5 hr Here Is One 38
floodgate is any valve used to control fluid 15 hr Here Is One 2
School bans 'I Can't Breathe' T-shirts at tourn... 16 hr Grammy Bess 1
Fears Voiced Over Million NKorean Babys at Border Sat Here Is One 38
why does Methhead keep proving me correct? Sat Here Is One 4
Our necrophiliac thinks Oliver North was POTUS (Jun '14) Sat Here Is One 148
Northern Mendocino County arrest reports for De... Sat Here Is One 1

Willits News Video

Willits Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Willits People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Willits News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Willits

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:03 pm PST

Bleacher Report 6:03PM
Insider Buzz: Top 5 Coaches on 49ers Short List to Replace Jim Harbaugh
Bleacher Report 7:32 PM
49ers End Season on High Note
Bleacher Report 7:56 PM
Full Game Grades for Broncos vs. Raiders
Bleacher Report 9:32 PM
San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh Leaves with a Win, but the Future Is Uncertain
Bleacher Report11:36 PM
Broncos Defense Shines in Week 17 Win over Raiders