Finding a Job in Williston

Finding a Job in Williston

There are 13 comments on the KMOT-TV Minot story from Jul 19, 2012, titled Finding a Job in Williston. In it, KMOT-TV Minot reports that:

Thousands of people have come to Williston over the past year, and they`re all coming for one thing: High paying jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KMOT-TV Minot.

rzw

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 25, 2012
how do i go about getting one of these jobs
local to kentucky

Heidrick, KY

#2 Jul 30, 2012
Try www.jobsnd.com that is the site my son in law used and he is making 30$ hr to start
local to kentucky

Heidrick, KY

#3 Jul 30, 2012
BTW do your research before you go out. There are tons of jobs in every sector but pretty much zero housing, price gouging on everything from rent, to food, to gas and entertainment. There is skyrocketing crime and not enough police force to handle it all. Be prepared to not have a place to live unless you get into a man camp through your job--but also keep in mind that, in doing so, most charge exorbitant rents to stay there and it comes out of your paycheck and you may never catch up enough to actually get a place of your own--sort of like the company store did in the coal mining towns here in southeastern Kentucky. So check that out thoroughly if you plan to stay in one...

Also from what research I have done [which is a great deal] to even rent a campsite, if you are lucky enough to do so, will cost you upwards of 100$ per night, even with no hookups.

And winter is well on it's way and comes way earlier there than it does for Ohio and gets way colder so you do not want to be homeless in the blizzard belt...Several people I know went out and are doing adverse possession on empty houses in various areas.

Not trying to discourage you with what all i just told you, just hoping you do your homework and know what you may be getting into. Good luck!
BigDan32008

United States

#4 Aug 20, 2012
Head for Texas housing more readily available and tons of opportunity for good employment!
Just wondering

Williston, ND

#5 Aug 20, 2012
So, local to Kentucky, have you ever been to Williston?
local to kentucky

Manchester, KY

#6 Aug 23, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
So, local to Kentucky, have you ever been to Williston?
Don't be so sure that I am not there right now, IP addresses can be manipulated...but would it even matter either way being that I gave the person good advice, pretty much covering the most important bases?
local to kentucky

Manchester, KY

#7 Aug 23, 2012
BigDan32008 wrote:
Head for Texas housing more readily available and tons of opportunity for good employment!
Maybe you need to give the person a bit more info, like where in Texas, what kind of work, how to apply, etc...
Bradley Hutt

Irving, TX

#8 Sep 9, 2012
local to kentucky wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to give the person a bit more info, like where in Texas, what kind of work, how to apply, etc...
always have a job lined up and where you intend to live before moving anywhere.
ND Driller

Omaha, NE

#9 Oct 12, 2012
local to kentucky wrote:
BTW do your research before you go out. There are tons of jobs in every sector but pretty much zero housing, price gouging on everything from rent, to food, to gas and entertainment. There is skyrocketing crime and not enough police force to handle it all. Be prepared to not have a place to live unless you get into a man camp through your job--but also keep in mind that, in doing so, most charge exorbitant rents to stay there and it comes out of your paycheck and you may never catch up enough to actually get a place of your own--sort of like the company store did in the coal mining towns here in southeastern Kentucky. So check that out thoroughly if you plan to stay in one...
Also from what research I have done [which is a great deal] to even rent a campsite, if you are lucky enough to do so, will cost you upwards of 100$ per night, even with no hookups.
And winter is well on it's way and comes way earlier there than it does for Ohio and gets way colder so you do not want to be homeless in the blizzard belt...Several people I know went out and are doing adverse possession on empty houses in various areas.
Not trying to discourage you with what all i just told you, just hoping you do your homework and know what you may be getting into. Good luck!
You obviously do not work or live in Williston. It's a decent place for a boom town and the biggest complaints I had were the long lines and the boredom. Sure, housing is expensive and if you're trying to find a spot for your camper on the internet, it's nearly impossible. If a person wants to make it in the ND oil field, there are two ways to do it. If you know somebody out here who will vouch for your skills, he may be able to find you a job and possibly a camp site. Otherwise you man up, pack your stuff, and head up here.

I've seen many people who have come up here with their possessions in the back of an old truck with no money, no job prospects and no skills. I can't tell you what became of them, but I've worked with a lot of people who had a good job and still couldn't make it.

This isn't easy and if you're weak you will have a tough go of it.
deedub

Dayton, VA

#10 Jan 3, 2013
Just wondering if business is still booming? I'm looking to be laid off within a month or so and I also have a buddy who was laid off a year and a half ago. There's absolutely no jobs down here. We were seriously considering checking out ND. I have experience on IR T4W's, IR RD20's, and Speedstar rigs but it was the gas field. I was a laborer/floorhand/derrickman/w inchline operator. I wouldn't mind at all starting out at the bottom again as long as the money is still good.
bakkendispatch

San Pablo, CA

#11 Jan 10, 2013
Those are some good tips, ND Driller. It certainly helps if you can set things up in advance, but plenty of people just head up there and tough it out. I'd say toughing it out is the key. Don't expect it to be easy, even if there are lots of jobs.

deedub, business will be booming for years. There's lots of oil in the Bakken, and it'll be producing for decades. This boom will transform North Dakota, no question about it. Not always in good ways, but what are you gonna do?

Here are some other job resources you might find helpful, and there's tons of other info on this site. Hope that helps.

http://www.bakkendispatch.com/north-dakota-oi...

Since: Jan 13

United States

#12 Jan 11, 2013
Here's a pretty good list of employment agencies and job sites up there: http://north-dakota-jobs.com
Just sayin

Boulder, CO

#13 Feb 16, 2013
As a warning to people of color, be aware that North Dakota people are very racist in a non-obvious way. Don't expect to get anything beyong an entry level position, regardless of training which won't pay the rent if your not white.
I sure wouldn't bring my kids up here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great American Lodge May 14 Ian Pittman 1
Are there any Russian restaurants in Williston? May 13 Desi 1
Review: IQ Diesel Performance (Sep '13) May 12 ced 6
hey!! (May '14) May 8 Rebelvamp420 4
Watford City Music Forum (Feb '13) May 6 Musikologist 8
Poll " Reasons: ' WHY NOT to Live in Alexander, ND' ?" (Nov '07) May 2 Alex Zander 38
Watford Estates Apr '15 do your homework 1
More from around the web

Williston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]