are you proud of mercer county and yourself as a citizen

Posted in the Willisburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
harrodian

Nicholasville, KY

#1 Jan 19, 2013
Mercer county is a special place, it was the site of the first settlement in this region long ago. We are special to live in this blessed place and we have a duty to maintain our image to the rest of the state and the nation and the world as the frontier people we are, resourceful, intelligent, cultured and compassionate. Every person in this community is above average and we should always make sure outsiders know of our collective and individual abilities. So hold your head high mercer countyers and rejoice in a certain smugness that is well earned.
marty

United States

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Well you better run 2/3 of the residents out of here,they are giving this place a bad reputation,and no i am not proud to live in hburg,when people ask me where i live i dodge the question as long as possible hoping they will forget and quit asking,but most of the time ti tell them i am from someplace else whatever pops into my head.
99 Luft Balloons

Sweden

#3 Jan 26, 2013
marty wrote:
Well you better run 2/3 of the residents out of here,they are giving this place a bad reputation,and no i am not proud to live in hburg,when people ask me where i live i dodge the question as long as possible hoping they will forget and quit asking,but most of the time ti tell them i am from someplace else whatever pops into my head.
I love Harrodsburg. I hope it stays small forever because big cities suck. I enjoy the tourism aspect tho, because people are coming here to see YOU, native Kentuckians, in our beautiful homeland. I have always enjoyed walking up to the park to read the license plates from out of state visitors. People from New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, etc, etc, come here to appreciate southern folk and our way of living, how we talk and what we eat, etc. Never forget your home, my friend.
jesse b

Lexington, KY

#4 Jan 26, 2013
""because people are coming here to see YOU, native Kentuckians""

So its kinda like a zoo, come see the native hillbilly in his native habitat.
Been here a long time

Harrodsburg, KY

#5 Jan 27, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
I love Harrodsburg. I hope it stays small forever because big cities suck. I enjoy the tourism aspect tho, because people are coming here to see YOU, native Kentuckians, in our beautiful homeland. I have always enjoyed walking up to the park to read the license plates from out of state visitors. People from New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, etc, etc, come here to appreciate southern folk and our way of living, how we talk and what we eat, etc. Never forget your home, my friend.
You like to walk in the park and read license plates? You do not
mind living in a town that is less vital than it was in the 1950s?
Don't you want some of the modern things that other small towns have? Harrodsburg is being kept "historic" to benifit the tourist idustry. We suffer a lack of modernization.
commom sense

Hazard, KY

#6 Jan 27, 2013
marty wrote:
Then you need to move away.
99 Luft Balloons

Sweden

#7 Jan 27, 2013
jesse b wrote:
""because people are coming here to see YOU, native Kentuckians""
So its kinda like a zoo, come see the native hillbilly in his native habitat.
LOL. Believe it or not, a lot of people love hillbillies. Why else would Turtle Man have his own show? Look at Honey Boo Boo and all of the other shows featuring southern folk. Kentuckians are a breed apart. Some of us ain't worth a lick, but the majority of us are compassionate, kind and generous.
99 Luft Balloons

Sweden

#8 Jan 27, 2013
Been here a long time wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to walk in the park and read license plates?
Yes. But only to check out the out-of-towners. I live about 5 minutes away from the park, so it's a fun little walk.
You do not mind living in a town that is less vital than it was in the 1950s? Don't you want some of the modern things that other small towns have? Harrodsburg is being kept "historic" to benifit the tourist idustry. We suffer a lack of modernization.
Less vital to whom? Harrodsburg is very important to me and an important part of my life. Yes, I wouldn't mind having some modernization as long as it doesn't draw more people here. I also like the fact that our town is kept 'historic'. If I could I would go back to the 70's and live. Life was much easier then.
Scrimshander

Harrodsburg, KY

#9 Jan 27, 2013
marty wrote:
It's going down the drain precisely because of the richer people, the movers and shakers who keep any progress under wraps. They don't want to see it advance. No I am not proud to live here. I'm stuck here against my wishes.
Scrimshander

Harrodsburg, KY

#10 Jan 27, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. But only to check out the out-of-towners. I live about 5 minutes away from the park, so it's a fun little walk.
<quoted text>
Less vital to whom? Harrodsburg is very important to me and an important part of my life. Yes, I wouldn't mind having some modernization as long as it doesn't draw more people here. I also like the fact that our town is kept 'historic'. If I could I would go back to the 70's and live. Life was much easier then.
Now this I mostly agree with--especially the last couple of sentences.
Been here a long time

Harrodsburg, KY

#11 Jan 28, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No modern resturants, except Montgomery and who wants to go there? Main street is dead. Nothing there but used stuff stores and empty buildings. A town that prides itself in old houses and an old fort. In the fifties we had two dime stores, three men's stores, several general stores, drug stores. In a word, it was where people wanted to come to shop and visit on Saturday. We even had a movie house. Now nothing. Other towns similar to Harrodsburg back the such as Danville, Mount Sterling, Bardstown, Georgetown, and Winchester have far outstripped Harrodsburg. We have become an old town, an old, old, old town.

What is our downtown now? Where is it that you see people shopping now? Wall Mart. That is it. Here is hoping that they don't close it.
Ring a ding

Harrodsburg, KY

#12 Jan 28, 2013
Scrimshander wrote:
<quoted text>Now this I mostly agree with--especially the last couple of sentences.
You want to keep the city all to yourself? By the way, what is a Scrimshander? Sounds like some kind of broom.
Rose Hill Old Timer

Harrodsburg, KY

#13 Jan 28, 2013
harrodian wrote:
Mercer county is a special place, it was the site of the first settlement in this region long ago. We are special to live in this blessed place and we have a duty to maintain our image to the rest of the state and the nation and the world as the frontier people we are, resourceful, intelligent, cultured and compassionate. Every person in this community is above average and we should always make sure outsiders know of our collective and individual abilities. So hold your head high mercer countyers and rejoice in a certain smugness that is well earned.
We ain't no frontier people. Them days is long gone. I remember when Harrodsburg was really something. People from the town and country would come to town on Saturday. You would hve to git here early to find a parking spot on main street. Main street was lined with stores like the Gem Store, The Federated Store, Broadus, Freeman and Ison, Chandlers, two ten cents stores, places to git ice cream and candy, and we had a movie theater and a bowling alley. People shopped and had fun talking to people on the street and the street was full. We had more places to eat then too.

The town is dead as a door nail. Ain't nothing happening. Can't buy nothing but old junk on main street. They told us that if we would vote for liquor we would get a lot of new stuff like O'Charlies and such. They lied. We got nothing. Them that sells it got to make money and no body else.

You must be one of them tourist people. Frontier and the like. Well, it don't suit me. Them tourist people may make money, but must the rest of us live in a town that ain't got better in years and is actually worse now than it was back when I was a kid driving my AModel up and down main street on Saturday night.

And what about them Halloweens. The street would be full. Kids all in false faces and every store open.
99 Luft Balloons

Pikeville, KY

#14 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>
No modern resturants, except Montgomery and who wants to go there? Main street is dead. Nothing there but used stuff stores and empty buildings. A town that prides itself in old houses and an old fort. In the fifties we had two dime stores, three men's stores, several general stores, drug stores. In a word, it was where people wanted to come to shop and visit on Saturday. We even had a movie house. Now nothing. Other towns similar to Harrodsburg back the such as Danville, Mount Sterling, Bardstown, Georgetown, and Winchester have far outstripped Harrodsburg. We have become an old town, an old, old, old town.
What is our downtown now? Where is it that you see people shopping now? Wall Mart. That is it. Here is hoping that they don't close it.
I understand your point and I agree that it would be nice if our small town accommodated the needs of its people more effectively. I remember as a kid, in the early seventies, all of the stores on Main Street. It was always fun around Christmastime. MS has been barren and useless for a long time, but it doesn't bother me because I don't like seeing lots of people. But, I would like to know who is responsible for it being in such shape.
The Thinker

Harrodsburg, KY

#15 Jan 28, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your point and I agree that it would be nice if our small town accommodated the needs of its people more effectively. I remember as a kid, in the early seventies, all of the stores on Main Street. It was always fun around Christmastime. MS has been barren and useless for a long time, but it doesn't bother me because I don't like seeing lots of people. But, I would like to know who is responsible for it being in such shape.
YOU ASKED WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TOWN BEING IN THE SHAPE THAT IT IS IN. YOU MUST BE TAKING ABOUT HOW OLD TIME AND BACKWARD WE ARE.
I HAVE AN IDEA ABOUT THE CAUSE. CAN'T BE SURE, BUT HERE IT IS:
THE HARRODSBURG HERALD IS ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT TOURIST. COULD IT BE THAT THE POWERS THAT BE WANT TO KEEP HARRODSBURG QUAINT AND HISTORIC? WE HEAR A LOT ABOUT OUR CITY SCAPE, THE OLD FORT AND OUR OLD HOUSES ON BEAUMONT AVENUE. Main street has nothing modern on it. In fact there is little modern in this town. But that is what the city is trying to sell. It appears that they want the tourist to feel relaxed in an old fashioned town of the past.

Want an eyeopener? Drive down to Bardstown. Used to be the same size of Harrodsburg. Has a state park. Loves it's history. Compare the two. Why is Harrodsburg so far behind?
99 Luft Balloons

Sweden

#16 Jan 29, 2013
The Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ASKED WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TOWN BEING IN THE SHAPE THAT IT IS IN. YOU MUST BE TAKING ABOUT HOW OLD TIME AND BACKWARD WE ARE.
I was actually referring to Main Street being desolate of modernization. I was wondering if it has something to do with our city council, or if it's because no one will support any local businesses that pop up?
The Thinker wrote:
I HAVE AN IDEA ABOUT THE CAUSE. CAN'T BE SURE, BUT HERE IT IS:
THE HARRODSBURG HERALD IS ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT TOURIST. COULD IT BE THAT THE POWERS THAT BE WANT TO KEEP HARRODSBURG QUAINT AND HISTORIC? WE HEAR A LOT ABOUT OUR CITY SCAPE, THE OLD FORT AND OUR OLD HOUSES ON BEAUMONT AVENUE. Main street has nothing modern on it. In fact there is little modern in this town. But that is what the city is trying to sell. It appears that they want the tourist to feel relaxed in an old fashioned town of the past.
Want an eyeopener? Drive down to Bardstown. Used to be the same size of Harrodsburg. Has a state park. Loves it's history. Compare the two. Why is Harrodsburg so far behind?
I think you are right about the town being kept historic, but I actually don't mind it because I function better with less people around. A lot of people would love a town like ours because the crime is very low and it is beautiful all around, IMO. However, I am interested in what kinds of things that you would like to see/change around town. As for me, I wouldn't mind having a cinema, and I would like to do something about the #@%$ train in the middle of town. Other than that, I have everything I need to live a nice, quiet life, lol.
Hugo Oguh

Harrodsburg, KY

#17 Feb 7, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
I was actually referring to Main Street being desolate of modernization. I was wondering if it has something to do with our city council, or if it's because no one will support any local businesses that pop up?
<quoted text>
I think you are right about the town being kept historic, but I actually don't mind it because I function better with less people around. A lot of people would love a town like ours because the crime is very low and it is beautiful all around, IMO. However, I am interested in what kinds of things that you would like to see/change around town. As for me, I wouldn't mind having a cinema, and I would like to do something about the #@%$ train in the middle of town. Other than that, I have everything I need to live a nice, quiet life, lol.
A nice quiet life is ok for old folks. Young people want action. To get action they have to leave Harrodsburg and Mercer County. That means that the old timers can have peace and quiet.
backet ball jones

United States

#18 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
You like to walk in the park and read license plates? You do not
mind living in a town that is less vital than it was in the 1950s?
Don't you want some of the modern things that other small towns have? Harrodsburg is being kept "historic" to benifit the tourist idustry. We suffer a lack of modernization.
u got that rite. People from other places think ky is all inbred. Get made fun of.
deb

United States

#19 Feb 11, 2013
99 Luft Balloons wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Believe it or not, a lot of people love hillbillies. Why else would Turtle Man have his own show? Look at Honey Boo Boo and all of the other shows featuring southern folk. Kentuckians are a breed apart. Some of us ain't worth a lick, but the majority of us are compassionate, kind and generous.
I despise those stupid , ignorant, reality shows like the ones that were mentioned . I didn't even know what a honey boo boo was except maybe a soft teddy bear. Its lovely watching a overweight , uneducated kid with a mother that is the same way. And the guy with the turtles is kinda funny but that's all.i I would rather watch the " hillbillie bears" cartoon. Now that's funny I've never seen so many chubby kids as in the past fifteen yrs. Their too damn fat & not enuff chores to do. My friends & family were not allowed tv until our chores were done ,,, ate dinner or supper & no ten o'clock eating again. U go in this local Walmart and look at the chubby kids walking around . Its pathetic.
deb

United States

#20 Feb 11, 2013
To old Timer Rosehill native , I'm with you.I barely remember when there was the bowling alley ( beside the old gateway bldg I think ) it was a lot of ppl there. I do not want to live in NYC but I swear there isn't a good place to shop or eat unless u drive to lexington . Been that way for years. And the teenagers do not have ANY thing to do . I remember & we had to make our own & its not been that long either . Yes, Bardstown is Way past HBURG . The last time I was driving thru I thought how nice it was

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min Cornelius Scudmister 153,774
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 44 min eer 5,213
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Princess412 81,638
Ppl driving messed up 2 hr Becky 6
Do you know my birth family? 2 hr An innocent bysta... 9
Mayor's race 2 hr Citizen 25
Russell Goins 4 hr heard he was 3
•••
•••
Willisburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••