Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,704

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
what now

United States

#91319 Jul 31, 2013
Anne wrote:
I had Sunday (church) shoes that i rubbed with vaseline to keep them shiny and school shoes that i kept polished. Summers we wore white canvas tennis shoes. No going barefoot for us, ever! Mom was adamant about that! She was also adamant about not drinking from someone else's glass and washing our hands before a meal. We changed into play clothes immediately after school and had special clothes to wear to the
creek.
Hmm. Maybe you are my sister. Wait, my mom had us runnin around barefoot alltime though. Otherwise, the same. Ironed all laundry, Saturdays were made for cleaning n shining... Moms are awesome!:)
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91320 Jul 31, 2013
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello! May I join your conversation? I have been reading back thru and I would like to join in, then I came across this comment so I thought I would introduce myself. My grandson just gave me his old computer and I am learning. He tells me I need to get with the times. He told me about this site and that you folks are my age. I see alot of non sense in other places but seems like I have much in common with the folks here. I would like to register and join in if I am welcomed. I don't have a name thing yet but he's to help me do that later. My name is Marilyn and I am 72 as of yesterday. That's when he brought this to me. I love my birds and have also used the cotton on my feeders. Lord's blessings to you all.
Why Happy Belated Birthday! Mine was the 26th. Half your age, minus two. We enjoy the birds here in eastern Ky as well.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#91321 Jul 31, 2013
@ Marilyn, oops add 10 years to that.I was thinking 82 for whatever reason. Psst 40 should be the exact years.
@ Nope, Love Duck Dynasty as well;) I couldn't stop laughing during the episode where Si puts on the tiara, polish and lipstick for the granddaughters. It sure does tickle me. Great family entertainment.
Anne

United States

#91322 Jul 31, 2013
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello! May I join your conversation? I have been reading back thru and I would like to join in, then I came across this comment so I thought I would introduce myself. My grandson just gave me his old computer and I am learning. He tells me I need to get with the times. He told me about this site and that you folks are my age. I see alot of non sense in other places but seems like I have much in common with the folks here. I would like to register and join in if I am welcomed. I don't have a name thing yet but he's to help me do that later. My name is Marilyn and I am 72 as of yesterday. That's when he brought this to me. I love my birds and have also used the cotton on my feeders. Lord's blessings to you all.
Hello, Marilyn, and welcome! Happy Birthday also!!
About being registered on topix-- you don't have to register to post. Actually I am registered under a totally different name but have been posting under a gray (unregistered) name for quite some time. There are benefits to being registered such as being able to private message (pm) other registered posters.
I have a few bird feeders in the backyard. Cardinals, goldfinches, doves etc. Then I have a few chickens: 5 mature hens and 3 about five months old. A couple outside cats and an outside dog. That's enough for us! Lol
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91323 Jul 31, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I've pondered on this moat and ant bait thing that you have made for a day or two now, Imposter. The thing that worries me about the ant bait is that Hummies also eat small insects. They're particularly fond of gnats, but ants I'm not sure of. But I'd surely not want to take the chance of killing even ONE single little Hummie because it ate an ant that was poisoned.
I've even put leftover melons or old fruit outside by the feeders for them. A nail put into the tree is perfect to push a piece of fruit on so they can get to it and quickly the gnats will gather on what you put out. You will see the Hummies hover over it to snag the gnats for a tasty snack.
(If you've never tried it, you should. It's really fun to watch).
They're like little fairy sprites. I get such a kick out of how they'll flit by, slam on the brakes, and then hover right in front of your face to hang in mid air for a minute to stare at you. Then they chipper and fuss for a split second and zip off into Hummie-land again. It gets to the point that I can pretty much tell one from the other after a while.
I guess we all have our old timer remedies and hand-me-down fix it ideas passed down from our older and wiser kin folk... But I'd just rather be safer than sorry.
How are you feeling now, by the way? Got your strength totally back yet? I've been sending "happy happy happy" thoughts and healing prayers your way!! It means a lot to me that we can have fun talking now... Truly it does! I adore every single one of you in this forum and you all have made some of my dark days, those when I'm feeling blue or ill, a lot brighter whether you know it or not.
(In case you think I'm whacked about using the "happy happy happy" thang, I'm a HUGE Duck Dynasty fanatic, hehe! And tonight is another marathon on the A&E channel, ROFLMBO!! I'll be glued to the tube for the duration. Can't wait for the new season to start in a few weeks)!
As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna change my eyeball moniker icon to the Duck Commanders logo.... Bwaaaahahahahaha!!
I always liked those little hummers, I would hate to poison one like that! I never thought of that. But they seem to be alright. The rain has washed away the ant bait by now for sure, so I'll wait a while and see if the ants come back in force.

I actually feel better than I have in years. I had deteriorated quite a bit because of lack of any regular healthcare, I had to be about dead before I would go to the Dr. I almost was- according to him, but I think the young man knows his stuff, he has me on the right track.
I might be stubborn but I've not been called stupid too many times. I'm going to listen to what he says and try to reach an objective that we both like...good health without so many meds and possibly no meds in the future. I like that idea. But yeah thanks for asking I'm feeling and doing pretty good.

I just wonder what vampire they are trying to feed with all my blood. They take what seems like half my blood supply every time I go in. Maybe Big Steve lives over there in the hospital basement.
Imposter

Hazard, KY

#91324 Jul 31, 2013
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, talk about whatever you want to talk about. That's what I do, sometimes I talk about entirety different subject than everyone else...they dont seem to care if I forget what I am talking about either LOL.
Seriously--This is a pretty good bunch of people on here. Every now and then we get a bad link, that's those words that light up blue, dont click on them unless you trust the poster....Ancient Wolf seems to think its a good idea not to click on any of them and he was an IT man. Welcome Marilyn!
Anne

United States

#91325 Jul 31, 2013
what now wrote:
<quoted text> Hmm. Maybe you are my sister. Wait, my mom had us runnin around barefoot alltime though. Otherwise, the same. Ironed all laundry, Saturdays were made for cleaning n shining... Moms are awesome!:)
It was my job to iron the pillowcases and dads handkerchiefs, eventually I graduated to ironing shirts and dresses. Dads pants were dried on pants stretchers and didnt require ironing. Saturday mornings we cleaned house then went to town for groceries and other necessary items. Groceries! Mom bought ONE carton of soft drinks each week for our family of 5. Oh, and a box of vanilla wafers. We kids didn't care for vanilla wafers and wouldn't hardly eat them. I asked mom why she bought them and she replied , " because they last all week" Yeah, she had that right!
Anne

United States

#91326 Jul 31, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my job to iron the pillowcases and dads handkerchiefs, eventually I graduated to ironing shirts and dresses. Dads pants were dried on pants stretchers and didnt require ironing. Saturday mornings we cleaned house then went to town for groceries and other necessary items. Groceries! Mom bought ONE carton of soft drinks each week for our family of 5. Oh, and a box of vanilla wafers. We kids didn't care for vanilla wafers and wouldn't hardly eat them. I asked mom why she bought them and she replied , " because they last all week" Yeah, she had that right!
Wouldn't hardly??? Grammar police will get me for sure.
what now

United States

#91327 Jul 31, 2013
Greetings Marilyn! I just found out Anne's and my mom could have been sisters. They did the same kind of things, way back when. We went barefoot and got no cokes, but they had to wear shoes and got cokes. Lol!
really, I am getting goofy, and must be tired. Have a good time! Thanks Anne, you're awesome! Goodnight all!
what now

United States

#91328 Jul 31, 2013
Sympathy, and condolences to you, 'Roaming.

Trenton, MO

#91329 Jul 31, 2013
Very strange. Not the only place it is happening if you research it.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#91330 Jul 31, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>I get such a kick out of how they'll flit by, slam on the brakes, and then hover right in front of your face to hang in mid air for a minute
Man, I know the feeling. Gotta say this. I've got one of our four feeders hanging about four feet in front of my "rest chair" on the wood shop porch. The other day the General flashed to the feeder, changed his mind and hovered right in front of my face for a spell and then went back to eat. I was probably gotch eyed looking at him, he was so close. I kept wondering what that was all about, then I remembered that I had a red sweat rag tied around my head. I'd sure like to catch one of them without hurting it.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91331 Aug 1, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It is almost amazing what just a few years of time and space made. Electricity was a town thing and did not come to our neck of the woods until the mid 50s. Monday was wash day and I had to carry the water from the spring unless it had been raining and some was collected in the rain barrel (which was not nearly often enough to suit me). The washer was a wringer-washer that sat on the back porch and operated by a gasoline engine with a kick starter much like a Moped and sounded about the same. There was a smaller wood burning stove out there also called a "laundry" stove and naturally, I had to carry the wood for that. Most everything was starched and the corn starch came in a yellow box with an Indian picture on it.The starch and the wash water was boiled on the stove. A separate metal tub of water was also boiled for the rinse. So it required packing a lot of wood and a lot of water. But that washer was a modern thing. I recall how happy my Mom was to get it because prior to that the wash was done in a separate tub and a scrub board that now decorates my wall. Ironing was done with cast irons that heated on the outside stove in the summer, and the larger wood burning kitchen stove in the winter. I also still have my Mom's irons but I don't have the rags that she wrapped arund the handles to keep them from burning her hands. She had 4 with 3 always heating and one in use. Cookies were never bought and all we ever knew was just homemade sugar cookies. I was just reaching puberty when I had a chocolate fudge cookie and I thought that was what was changing my body (and it could have been LOL).
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91332 Aug 1, 2013
Tht outside back porch laundry stove was also used to boil water for plucking chickens which was done out there year round since Mom did not want the stink in the house. Yes, Moms are awesome, so were my older sisters that helped with the laundry and all I had to do was pack in the wood and the water, then empty the dirty water out in the run off ditch. People had larger families back then because the kids were needed (and loved).
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91333 Aug 1, 2013
For anyone that has never seen a wood burning laundry stove, it was a smaller version of the larger wood burning kitchen stoves. It sat closer to the ground so that large tubs of water could be lifted upon it. The wood burning kitchen stoves were taller so one would not have to bend over so much to cook. Some of the kitchen stoves even had water resevoirs to keep water hot. Next to the stove was a wash stand, pan, and dipper for that early morning face washing. It generally sat close to the window so the dirty water could just be tossed out the window into Mom's flower beds. Enough Nostalgia. You Folks have a good day!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#91334 Aug 1, 2013
@Imposter.. I was fortunate enough or Blessed to grow up in a time of the old ways and can now remember the good old days and laugh at the bad parts. And you are right, I worked in IT from it's fledgling beginnings until just a few years ago when I returned to the homestead of my youth and can look around and see the Ghosts of my past.

I don't access any links and that is not so much that I think there are only devious persons out there that want to invade my machine and privacy. But more so because I still run 15 year old software (Windows 98) on a homemade PC that I made from scrap parts that I collected before I retired. If I access anything and everything, it would soon store enough junk to overload the capability. I clear out temporary internet files, add-on data, cookies, and most anything that I don't use daily. I defrag the thing at the end of each month.

So what is "defrag" the novice asks? When things are stored on one's disk drive they just go into the next available usused space and eventually it slows down your machine similar to what it would be like getting dressed in the mornings with your clothes scattered into multiple closets with hangers turned every which way. Defrag simply reorganizes disk stuff similar to putting your pants in one area and shirts in another and the hangers all facing the same direction and makes it easier and quicker to access.

To run a "defrag" under Win-98, click on "start", then point to "all Programs", then point to "accessories", then point to "system tools", then click "Disk Defragmentation". Depending on how unorganized your disk drive is, it could run for quite some time.
Anne

United States

#91335 Aug 1, 2013
what now wrote:
Greetings Marilyn! I just found out Anne's and my mom could have been sisters. They did the same kind of things, way back when. We went barefoot and got no cokes, but they had to wear shoes and got cokes. Lol!
really, I am getting goofy, and must be tired. Have a good time! Thanks Anne, you're awesome! Goodnight all!
Cokes! That's it! Not soft drinks. Not pop. We drank "cokes"! It didn't matter if there was Big Red or Pepsi etc in the bottle, we called them all. COKES!
Remember this?
Double Cola went to town.
Pepsi cola shot him down
Dr Pepper fixed him up
Now we're drinking Seven Up!

Guess our moms WERE sisters! Hello, cousin!
Anne

United States

#91336 Aug 1, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, I know the feeling. Gotta say this. I've got one of our four feeders hanging about four feet in front of my "rest chair" on the wood shop porch. The other day the General flashed to the feeder, changed his mind and hovered right in front of my face for a spell and then went back to eat. I was probably gotch eyed looking at him, he was so close. I kept wondering what that was all about, then I remembered that I had a red sweat rag tied around my head. I'd sure like to catch one of them without hurting it.

The Birds and Blooms magazine has had articles about hummers landing on the fingers. Hmmm, it was the hummers, wasnt it? Obviously a person has to be very patient and spend a lot of time sitting around the feeders. Maybe if you tie a small red bandana around your finger...be sure to let us know if one does decide to sit a spell with you!
Anne

United States

#91337 Aug 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is almost amazing what just a few years of time and space made. Electricity was a town thing and did not come to our neck of the woods until the mid 50s. Monday was wash day and I had to carry the water from the spring unless it had been raining and some was collected in the rain barrel (which was not nearly often enough to suit me). The washer was a wringer-washer that sat on the back porch and operated by a gasoline engine with a kick starter much like a Moped and sounded about the same. There was a smaller wood burning stove out there also called a "laundry" stove and naturally, I had to carry the wood for that. Most everything was starched and the corn starch came in a yellow box with an Indian picture on it.The starch and the wash water was boiled on the stove. A separate metal tub of water was also boiled for the rinse. So it required packing a lot of wood and a lot of water. But that washer was a modern thing. I recall how happy my Mom was to get it because prior to that the wash was done in a separate tub and a scrub board that now decorates my wall. Ironing was done with cast irons that heated on the outside stove in the summer, and the larger wood burning kitchen stove in the winter. I also still have my Mom's irons but I don't have the rags that she wrapped arund the handles to keep them from burning her hands. She had 4 with 3 always heating and one in use. Cookies were never bought and all we ever knew was just homemade sugar cookies. I was just reaching puberty when I had a chocolate fudge cookie and I thought that was what was changing my body (and it could have been LOL).
Jeez, AW, are you sure you weren't raised Amish?
Our local Amish community uses the gas powered washers but the clothes dryer is solar powered. I have seen a wash machine where the agitator is operated with a hand crank, but as soon as the newlyweds can fit it into their budget, there will be a gas engine wash machine. They have a wood cook stove but I've seen a lot of gas fuel cooking stoves used during the hot months. There's also a wood laundry stove sitting in the laundry room/summer kitchen. One reason I enjoy visiting with them is because that is how my mom and dad lived as youngsters. It gives me a sense of comfort and closeness to my parents.:-)

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#91338 Aug 1, 2013
Beautiful and foggy this morning.
Thanks to all the well wishes. I appreciate them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dustin Williams 1 hr Really 10
anyone know nick gorczyca? what can u tell me a... 2 hr wondering 1
dr Lingreen 4 hr Really 2
Justin Walker 4 hr Really 3
Kenneth Williams 9 hr Curious 7
the guy that drives new red camaro in Harrodsburg 9 hr Likin-It 4
mexicans (Sep '09) 10 hr lynn 13
Willisburg Dating
Find my Match

Willisburg People Search