football sign ups in March

Posted in the Willisburg Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
SpringHasSprung

United States

#1 Feb 27, 2013
Did anyone else get this flyer from Anderson County School for football signups this Saturday? The weird thing is on the bottom its for Frankfort. Doesn't A.C have a rec football? I thought I read Mark Peach would be assisting this year. But why are Frankfort flyers being sent home in Anderson County? Especially in March.

Since: Dec 12

Tucker, GA

#2 Feb 27, 2013
Anderson is sending them out in April.
makes no sense

United States

#3 Feb 27, 2013
Why do our school systems and our County support sending our kids to a different program when we have a program here? Maybe if we kept our kids here our program would be successful. Them signing kids up early confuses parents. They put in fine print that this league plays in Frankfort all while calling the team Anderson Co Falcons. But once you sign your kid up they become illegible to play here in Anderson County, or so Falcons say. We have a program that can be successful if our kids play and remain here, then our county and future children can benefit. If you don't live there, why send money there?
No support

Lawrenceburg, KY

#4 Feb 27, 2013
The County does not support this. This was on the County's Parks & Rec facebook page.
Anderson County Parks & Recreation · 524 like this
about an hour ago ·
It has been brought to our attention that a flyer about youth football sign-ups came home with some of the kids from school. Although this flyer says,“Anderson County Football Sign-ups”, we assure you that it is not our actual football sign-ups. This is actually Frankfort football sign-ups, and this flyer is misleading. We will keep you updated about all of our parks and recreation programs, and we never have sign-ups for our sports at the legion park. Our sign-ups are always at the county park. We strongly encourage each and every one of you to allow your children to participate in our youth football program. High School Football Coach Mark Peach and his staff have worked diligently to improve our youth program for this upcoming year, and we are expecting big changes. We would like for everyone to let these kids from our county play football together now, as it will be important once they reach the school teams. Please keep your money in Anderson County and support our local youth programs instead of sending your money to another county and improving their programs.
SUPPORT

Frankfort, KY

#5 Feb 27, 2013
The Falcons Football team is a team that travels to Frankfort to play. The reason is because Lawrenceburg does not have enough kids to support more then two teams playing football. Even if you took the kids off of the falcons and added another team then there would only be three teams and who would like to play the same teams all the time. I support both rec and the falcons and I do believe it's up to the parents to choose if they want the kids to sign up for rec or for the Travel Falcons Team. I do not see anything wrong with having a travel team that plays in Frankfort. It is no different then having travel basketball or baseball teams. The kids that are on the Falcon Team have to be from Anderson County. I do not believe the basketball or baseball have that rule. The last time I looked into travel teams in Anderson County the Falcons were the only team that required them to be from Anderson County. In all do respect everyone that has kids involved in sports should just want there kids to learn something and enjoy having a good time.
facts

Lawrenceburg, KY

#6 Feb 27, 2013
First off, if the "Falcons" chose to play in Anderson County, there WOULD be more teams in the league.
Second, separating the kids that will be the future of our school programs is never in the best interest of the children.
Third, the Falcons are NOT a traveling football team. They play parks and recreation football in Franklin County.
Last but certainly not least, it is more logical to play rec in your own county than to play rec in another county that is more expensive.
This is just a few of the facts that people should know. Recruiting kids under false pretenses is morally wrong and what Mike Fink is doing is shameful. He is just butt hurt and trying to take it out on the county.
One more fact before I leave, it is a downright lie that signing up there makes you ineligible to play in this county.
The school systems should never allow someone to come in and promote business for another county when we have a program here.
makes no sense

United States

#7 Feb 27, 2013
Anderson County traveled this year to play other teams as well as hosted visitors maybe we could have had more teams if the kids played in county.
Falcon supporter

Tucker, GA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
First off what mike fink and the rest of the falcon coaches are doing a wonderful job. Nobody wants to pay money for there children to play football in a league that is non existent. The falcons give the kids a chance to get knowledge of the game and a chance to play on a higher level than what Anderson county can provide. Anderson parks and recreation should have been on the ball a long time ago to get a football league together. But all they want to do is bash the falcons for trying to do something productive for our children. We do represent Anderson county. We don't play just in frankfort. Last year we also participated in Lexingtons tournament and with the woodford league. In fact the Anderson county team would not even play the falcons. Make your choice as to we're u want to your children to play football. But in my opinion and many others the falcons have allowed our children a better and more productive way to play.
facts

Tucker, GA

#9 Feb 27, 2013
If you and Mike Fink and everyone else are so concerned with the football program or lack of as you say, then why would you not volunteer your time in your own community? If you spent as much time investing in this program as you do in frankfort, imagine how great our football program would be!!! Instead, you commit your time to recruiting AC kids to play in a rec program out of town. You can save the self righteous bullshit about it being about the kids. This is about the coaches/parents. If you don't like the programs in your own county, be assertive, and speak up about what you can offer to improve it. Empower yourself to make a change. They are your tax dollars.
yep

Lawrenceburg, KY

#10 Feb 27, 2013
facts wrote:
If you and Mike Fink and everyone else are so concerned with the football program or lack of as you say, then why would you not volunteer your time in your own community? If you spent as much time investing in this program as you do in frankfort, imagine how great our football program would be!!! Instead, you commit your time to recruiting AC kids to play in a rec program out of town. You can save the self righteous bullshit about it being about the kids. This is about the coaches/parents. If you don't like the programs in your own county, be assertive, and speak up about what you can offer to improve it. Empower yourself to make a change. They are your tax dollars.
Well it is about the kids. My son has played in both and wants to play for the Falcons because they play more games. It's nothing more than that!!! He played about 6 games in Anderson Rec and wanted to play more. This bickering back and forth is silly. I say let the kids choose.
Falcon supporter

Tucker, GA

#11 Feb 27, 2013
I'm a peewee supporter first off and I am not paying for my child to play for nothing and get nothing out of it. Maybe when Anderson county parks and rec gets its shit together then I may think about it. But until then it's not worth my time nor my money to support something that is nonexistent. And yes in my eyes it is about my child and the experience that he gains from it. There's no self righteous bull shit here honey. Just a parent that supports there sons team and wants there child to have the best experience. And unfortunately Anderson county's lack of a program makes me choose to take my time and effort somewhere else.
facts

Tucker, GA

#12 Feb 27, 2013
Again, if it was really about the kids and you just wanted more games for them to play, you could have taken the initiative to make this happen. It is a matter of lengthening the season, big deal.
Falcon supporter

Tucker, GA

#13 Feb 27, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it is about the kids. My son has played in both and wants to play for the Falcons because they play more games. It's nothing more than that!!! He played about 6 games in Anderson Rec and wanted to play more. This bickering back and forth is silly. I say let the kids choose.
. You're completely right. If your son is between the ages of 5-8 the peewee coach is having early sign ups this Saturday from 1-4 at the legion park. Come on up to guarantee your son a spot on this years team. I promise u he will have a great time and enjoy the other children and gain a great amount of knowledge.
Falcon supporter

Tucker, GA

#14 Feb 27, 2013
Sry but it is about my child. If we combined the falcons players with the rec then it would b no different then what it has been the past 2 years. I say if u want your kids to have a great experience and a fun time playing the game come join the falcons.
facts

Tucker, GA

#15 Feb 27, 2013
So Falcon supporter, what did you do to make the football program better before dishing your dollars out to Frankfort? Did you offer any help or suggestions? It is also obvious that you don't read the local paper or you would know that AC has invested in our kids and our football program. They have a field at the County Park, have spent tons of money updating equipment, and enlisted the help of the school coaches to make the program successful. I am so grateful to have people in this county that would invest their time, money, and knowledge into making programs better that benefit our youth and school programs. Jumping ship to another county is the cowards way out. Doing something about it right way.
AC all the way

United States

#16 Feb 27, 2013
I certainly agree with the facts. I will have 3 go thru this program and think $ is better spent in County for the future of the department as well as the children. It is absolutely amazing that Coach Peach will be overseeing this and helping. He's done wonders with achs programs.
It's ridiculous to see the Falcons team fundraising here rather than Frankfort might I add. Besides that's where the $ goes, I know the aren't making any improvements at the Lincoln St Park where they practice.
Support

Lawrenceburg, KY

#17 Feb 27, 2013
What's sad is the falcons wanted to work with parks and Rec in Anderson County and someone had a chip on there shoulder so they had to do what was best. And it's FYFL not park and rec they play for in Frankfort.
Man Up

Lawrenceburg, KY

#18 Feb 27, 2013
I've heard several of the Falcons coaches say that the league in Frankfort was interested in adding all AC teams but some people in power here won't even discuss it with Frankfort. Also, I make my money I spend it how I want. I wonder if you support your small local businesses or go shopping at the malls in Lexington or Louisville. I mean if you are going to support local then support it. My child will be a Falcon and I'll be proud to say it. I've even heard that these dedicated AC coaches have even threatened not to play kids in middle school when they get there if they play with the Falcons. That's a true coward.
AC all the way wrote:
I certainly agree with the facts. I will have 3 go thru this program and think $ is better spent in County for the future of the department as well as the children. It is absolutely amazing that Coach Peach will be overseeing this and helping. He's done wonders with achs programs.
It's ridiculous to see the Falcons team fundraising here rather than Frankfort might I add. Besides that's where the $ goes, I know the aren't making any improvements at the Lincoln St Park where they practice.
facts

Lawrenceburg, KY

#19 Feb 27, 2013
Rec is rec no matter what title you give it. It is a recreation league. Anyone with common sense knows that every sport program has good and bad times. Anderson County lost their previous director due to an untimely death. Instead of coming together for the good of the kids, Falcons was formed and jumped ship to Frankfort. It is absurd, and offensive.
AC all the way

United States

#20 Feb 27, 2013
Absolutely I buy local when I can. That only makes sense. I WANT to see my county do well, that's why i live here. I like this small town. I want my children to have the best it can offer. Im a tad confused. Why wouldn't the coaches choose who they will play? They'll have seen locals play they won't have traveled to watch other counties play or locals play in other counties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Discount house 1 hr truthbetold 6
Who hires coaches 2 hr Martin 7
Look into my eyes.... 3 hr Kitten 11
heather lanham (Mar '11) 6 hr Justme 23
april dixon (Oct '13) 7 hr where 7
Triple Crown 9 hr Well 7
the music thread (Apr '12) 10 hr Music Fiend 28

Willisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance