Home Owners Beware! Aerobic Septic Ri...
jessetj

Cape Coral, FL

#21 May 29, 2013
My house was built in 2006. My pump ran for 6+ years and when it quit it just needed a rebuild kit (most are $100-$200). I did the work myself because I took a class to become self certified to inspect and maintain my own septic. The class was $75, I still need to apply for a license to operate from the county every two years and report my inspection notes every 6 months. This is a ridiculous amount of work considering that my dog and every other animal in the world can shit anywhere they want, but if we dig a hole to shit in we need to be taxed. As far as my pump lasting as long as it did, I think it was because it was on the north side of my house with little sun and under a "fake rock" cover the installer used to hide the pump. the rubber diaphragm finally had enough and failed. the rebuild kit is cake to install, just do it without the inspector knowing. get the kit online. 9/10 times the kit will fix it.
Pat

Palm Bay, FL

#22 Jun 14, 2013
I live here in palm Bay Fl. This is the biggest scam you have seen-poor home owners are allowed to be ripped off by the City and friends-so called Maintenance Contractors, and to add insult to injury you are then threatened with liens. We are fighing alone and no one cares. If the city is allowing you to be scammed, then is anyone else left to scam you?
Gary

Palm Bay, FL

#23 Jul 6, 2013
jessetj wrote:
My house was built in 2006. My pump ran for 6+ years and when it quit it just needed a rebuild kit (most are $100-$200). I did the work myself because I took a class to become self certified to inspect and maintain my own septic. The class was $75, I still need to apply for a license to operate from the county every two years and report my inspection notes every 6 months. This is a ridiculous amount of work considering that my dog and every other animal in the world can shit anywhere they want, but if we dig a hole to shit in we need to be taxed. As far as my pump lasting as long as it did, I think it was because it was on the north side of my house with little sun and under a "fake rock" cover the installer used to hide the pump. the rubber diaphragm finally had enough and failed. the rebuild kit is cake to install, just do it without the inspector knowing. get the kit online. 9/10 times the kit will fix it.
Please tell me how you do this 75$ class to be able to service your septic yourself? I live in Palm Bay Florida and am tired of being ripped off by these crooks! Thanks!
Blair

Houston, TX

#24 Jul 22, 2013
My system is 9 years old. I've had to replace the air pump 3 times. Paid the septic company for the two year contract when they installed it. They never came out. I haven't had a maintenance contract for 8yrs. I looked on the net to see if any homeowner in the State has ever been charged with not having a provider. None. Can't find one. I say revolt. These systems are a joke. The installer told me that the water that comes out should be potable. Yeah. Thats why they tell you not to let children play in it. I'll get you a glass for a test drink, you idiot. I'm about to dig some field lines and bypass the hole system, making it conventional. Conventionals have worked for 100's of years, so why change.
cwood

Fort Worth, TX

#25 Aug 14, 2013
We live in Johnson Co, and we are not required to have a service contract. Our system is 10 yrs old, and we have recently replaced the aerator, and the wires for the pump, and the floats. We have had the house for 4+ yrs. I have had several companies that repair answer questions gladly, and have had to have system pumped out once just last month with the aerator. Not hard to care for your own system if your county allows it. I checked paper work in outside box, and our system had not been serviced in 9yrs according to papers left in system. Have to keep things from going down into system such as grease, toys and other non dissolving items. I have 6 people living in my home, and a lot of water hogs.
Ken

San Antonio, TX

#28 Oct 10, 2013
Regarding Texas: It's my belief that you are no longer required to have a contract with a "licensed" maintenance company, and if you perform your own mainenance, you are not required to do the reporting either

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac $ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9 &p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_ tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1 &p_tac=&ti=30&pt=1 &ch=285&rl=7

Subsection (d)(4) states this. Also:

"The owner of an OSSF for a single family residence who elects to maintain their unit through the exemption described in subsection (d)(4) of this section is not subject to testing and reporting requirements."

Doesn't state anything about counties over-riding, even thought TCEQ's website does (crooks anyway).

I haven't reported in about a year and haven't heard a peep.
Isabel

Houston, TX

#29 Oct 22, 2013
Help meMy septic have red botom all time is ok. That somebody
Doc

Dallas, TX

#30 Nov 3, 2013
I've had three inspection companies in the last 6 years.

1. Sent an incompetent, uncertified, idiot who tried to destroy the water pump and rip the wiring out. He didn't know how to lift the float to trigger the system. Stopped him and sent him packing.

2. Next company sent TWO uncertified techs: The woman tried to act 'official' as I walked out. She handed me a clipboard and said, "Your pump doesn't work. Sign here and we'll have a new one put in Monday". The pump had worked fine that morning. Her cohort was tugging on the float to 'prove' the pump wouldn't operate. I walked over to the circuit breaker box, opened it, and flipped the breakers back on. Gee, the pump suddenly worked. They had turned the system off! CONMEN! FRAUDSTERS! But I bet few homeowners catch them at their crimes.

3. Last inspection company sent out a guy that did two inspections. I started noticing an odor, so I inspected after his last inspection. The air pump was not working properly because the elbow fitting had cracked. I repaired it and it worked fine. But because the system had not been aerated in many weeks, I had to have the system pumped.

This whole system of inspections is nothing more than a con job. The inspectors have no oversight by those that license them! When I made complaints about incompetence and fraud by each of the three inspection companies, I was blown off and told to pay up or be fined. And the second 'offense' in Texas can get you 30 days in jail for EACH day you are not in compliance!

Typical government bureaucratic ineptitude, contempt for the taxpayers, and crookedness.
Dave P

Anaheim, CA

#31 Dec 30, 2013
So has anyone found anyone in the business that is trustworthy and actually does their job? We will be installing a septic system on our new property soon in Montgomery County, TX. Sure would like to find someone relatively reputable and reasonable to do it for us since it is a must have. Thanks!
Bob T

Palestine, TX

#33 Feb 15, 2014
We bought a house in Porter and first of all I can see a sprinkler system like the one I have on a farm, but these sprinklers shoot that damn greywater all over the yard. What a horrible idea on just one acre where my grandkids are supposed to go out in the backyard and play. I am supposed to believe that it's ok and everything is supposed to be sterilized?
Right after we moved in we had someone just barge into our backyard without saying a word and start messing around our septic, he just opened the cover where the tablets go in, wrote on a slip of paper that everything is OK, sticks it on our door and leaves. What kind of rip off is that? I did not get an invoice and when I do I am going to tell that company to shove it! If anyone is going to court about this I want to be a part of it.
palm bay septic owner

Palm Bay, FL

#34 Feb 15, 2014
I live in Palm Bay Florida and this nonsense about purchasing a 'service contract' with a authorized dealer every two years and then paying the city of palm bay another 150.00 -450.00 in all for two years is EXTORTION!
The so called service contract with the authorized dealer is limited in choice I think there is only one. This 'one' happens to NEVER come out to my house unless they are called to be reminded they owe me a service check. Instead of the so called two visits a year they make it stretch so they are only doing one. They are such scam artists. And the city of palm bay - is worse they get 150.00 for doing nothing. More than often they tell me my pump is going out and I need a new pump. They want to charge over 800.00 for a new air compressor - you can find it on line for 400.00 so therefore they have a 100% mark up on that air compressor. DONT buy your air compressors from your so called service provider of your septic tank. You can find them on line with no problem and you can plug it in yourself. IF I could get enough people behind me I'd write a letter to someone about the EXTORTION going on.
Len

Minocqua, WI

#35 Feb 16, 2014
You can do your own maintenance. All you have to do is get licensed, keep up with education. You can also maintain other systems and include pumping and repairs for the $?300.00 fee.
Stan Randall

Dallas, TX

#36 Feb 17, 2014
Len wrote:
You can do your own maintenance. All you have to do is get licensed, keep up with education. You can also maintain other systems and include pumping and repairs for the $?300.00 fee.
That isn't quite accurate. It depends upon the state, and even the county. This is a Conroe, TX forum. In Texas, each county can have input into local regulations. In my county, I cannot be licensed (hinges upon population). But the county next door is more sparsely populated, so one can be licensed there.

However, the licensing is a joke. And the 'service' companies often send incompetents out. Complaints about unlicensed personnel are ignored.

Worse, Texas law can actually send you to jail for noncompliance. Someone in Austin has a powerful lobbyist at work.
lostntexas

Marquez, TX

#37 Feb 17, 2014
Len, you are so full of BS. Why should anyone be forced to become a business in order to do anything he likes around his own home. By operating under your license you have surrendered all fourth amendment rights to your private and must report 3 times each year of anything you do to your septic system. You are in effect working for the state as your own policeman. What other freedom are you so will to surrender that you would pay a fee to comply. You are the embodiment of the old saying “ There is a sucker born every minute.
lostntexas

Marquez, TX

#38 Feb 17, 2014
Stan, I live in Trinity " Lake Livingston" I have not complied for 6 to 7 years now and still waiting for my day in court. They know I will go to jail for the rest of my life if need to be. They can take that law to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Since: Mar 14

Corpus Christi, TX

#39 Mar 27, 2014
Stan the Man, I'd like to find out a bit more about your issues!!!!!
stan the man wrote:
My air pump went out so I called A&R here in Corpus Christi,TX. They are the ones who installed my tank and do the so called service contract. The guy quoted me a price of $725.00 to change out a $325.00 pump that has 2 wires. I decided right then that I will do my own pump changes and such. It's pretty easy stuff. You don't have to be a septic scientist. He said " I can't come out there for free, I gotta make something". I wonder how many $ 325.00 a year contracts he has? It's a total scam and a ripoff.
Ronnie

Athens, TX

#40 Apr 16, 2014
I am a licensed plumber and this deal stinks. I called Austin to find out what I could do to Inspect my own system. I would have to go to go work for a septic company who installs the brand of my aerobic system for so many years before I could get a license to do it. Ridiculous. I have a lake lot on Cedar Creek lake (but no house on mine) and the houses are on the water front on small lots and have conventional septic systems. their lots do not meet the size requirements for any kind of septic system.. I don't get it. You can't tell me that raw sewage is not going into the lake
Tim

Azle, TX

#41 Apr 26, 2014
scott davis wrote:
I was a septic installer for 8 yrs in tx and i can tell you without a doubt that it is all about money with tceq. We were a million+ dollar a year company (not a fly by night) and it got so bad with tceq that one morning I walked out, fired 21 employees and listed equipment and trucks for sale. The final straw was when tceq made a new license for maintenance provider which of course meant another yearly fee, another continuing ed class(more money) so what they created was a situation where they basically said we were smart enough to install this system from scratch and insure it was working properly to not smart enough to tell if it was still working properly 4 mos later. When they did this I had over 300 maintenance contracts on systems I had installed so it was either get there license or pay someone to take over the contracts so me being the hard head I am I paid thousands for someone to take over these contracts. these people arent worried about the environment only lining there pockets.
Scott, When did Texas Mandate the aerobic septic system? We are house hunting (again)and want a home with the older system with the two 500 gallon holding tanks and field drain lines. I have had these type systems in previous homes for the past 40 years and never had a problem with them. One of my tricks was to put a packet of Fleishman's Yeast in the toilet each month.
Thanks for any advice you can pass on!
Tim

Azle, TX

#42 Apr 26, 2014
Scott, When did Texas Mandate the aerobic septic system? We are house hunting (again) and want a home with the older style system with the two 500 gallon holding tanks and field drain lines. I have had these type systems in previous homes for the past 40 years and never had a problem with them. One of my tricks was to put a packet of Fleishman's Yeast in the toilet each month.
Thanks for any advice you can pass on!
Alley

Katy, TX

#43 May 16, 2014
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/com...

The attached link above is to TCEQ regarding installation and regulated employees, licensed and certified through State of Texas who can install and work on aerobic systems.

I don't know if this can help anyone. We are trying to buy house which system was last used 2004. Unfortunately, company that installed it is not on the list. I did talk to company who services units, but since so much time has gone by, I don't know how much (if anything) will be on file. They were very nice on phone, and said they would come inspect for us at no charge. But they were not on the approved list of providers for the State of Texas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SJRA provides update on Lake Conroe Sat Dmorse 1
Stained glass using markers May 24 Love beauty 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 14 Jack 993
CJ Michaels (Apr '14) May 5 Non ya 4
News Celebrities who have exotic pets May 1 Enu 2
Choices night club Apr '16 Curiousone 1
Should Judge Tracy Gilbert be removed from office? (Jul '11) Apr '16 mom 167
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willis Mortgages