Hartford Ordered To Accept Magnet Sch...

Hartford Ordered To Accept Magnet School Students, Towns Must P...

There are 5 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 3, 2009, titled Hartford Ordered To Accept Magnet School Students, Towns Must P.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Hoping to end an impasse that has left students dangling, state Education Commissioner Mark K. McQuillan Monday ordered Hartford school officials to enroll students from Manchester and Bloomfield in the city's "host" magnet schools -- and told the sending districts to pay tuition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

fenster

Windsor, CT

#1 Aug 3, 2009
so, another unfunded mandate from the state. how will the folks in manchester feel wheen they learn they have to pay more taxes to send kids the hartford magnet schools?magnet schools are great ,but, why cannot those students stay in the manchester school system, in an advanced placement program? if the pearents are so concerned about sending their children to a magnet school, they should pay the difference in fees.
Agree

Windsor Locks, CT

#2 Aug 4, 2009
I am so disgusted with this. Parents, if you want to send your kids to a magnet school then why don't you pay the tuition yourselves? If you think your child is better than mine and deserves a better school then PAY for it yourself There are plenty of private schools available.

The State needs to shut down all the magnet schools and keep children in their own towns.
ha ha

United States

#3 Aug 4, 2009
Hartford SUX!!

“Traditions in moderation.”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 5, 2009
Contact your congress people. Tell them you're tired of CT's federal income tax payments going to other states. Tell them we want more of that huge sum spent here in our state. More than the 60% which is all we get after the other 40% is given away to the likes of Alabama, Mississippi, Alaska, Missouri, etc.... Then we can afford to educate our children and repair our infrastructure...instead of doing the same for the fly-over states.

Since: Jun 09

United States

#5 Aug 10, 2009
It's because poor people complain that their school system sucks because they live in a poor neighborhood. Schools reflect the income of the town. Don't like your schools? Work harder, get another job, get a better job, get A job and move away. Don't expect others to take care of YOUR child's education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Willington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storrs Jukebox (Jul '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 27
Why Does Stafford Effing Suck? (Apr '11) Aug '16 Sporty 6
News Failing Concrete Foundations Linked to Aggregate (May '16) May '16 Sheryl 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Joe Lieberman as U.S. Senator? (Jan '16) May '16 lavon affair 2
News Stafford Graffiti Artist Arrested Again While A... (May '09) Apr '16 Screwball 62
News Backyard Chickens: More Connecticut Residents R... (Jul '10) Apr '16 Kim 9
News UConn housing plan for black men draws fire (Apr '16) Apr '16 Spotted Girl 1

Willington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Willington Mortgages